Step by step

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice.

Looking at knocking down my rental property and replacing it with 2 x townhouses. This will be my first development (hopefully not the last).

What I need assistance with is the steps involved on how to get started.

I've spoken to family and friends but haven't been able to correlate what they are telling me.

What I am after is a list of things that I need to do....eg. 1.soil test, 2. engage builder, 3. engage draftsperson.

If this info already exists on the website I would appreciate a guiding link (I have searched the website with little success) otherwise any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thx all

Q :)

Rockstar has a fairly comprehensive account of the process - albeit for duplex and subdivision but its a starting point.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63584

I've just started a townhouse DA process and so far I have engaged a town planner and am waiting for preliminary drawings from my architect. I'm just feeling my way forward tryin not to step in any bear traps. I look forward to hearing advice from others here also.

cheers,

Hi guys,

Appreciate the feedback.

I attended the HIA Home show and put my ideas to a show expert who happened to be a builder. We discussed draftsman v archtitect, finance and building styles amongst other things. A lot of food for thought.

Anyway, went to my local council and spoke to the town planner. I have to say he was very helpful and provided all the info I need to move forward.

I am now going to engage some architects \ draftspersons to get an understanding of the services they provide and the costs envolved.

I will keep this thread updated with any progress I make.

Cheers

Q

Hi guys,

Wife and I went to a local draughtsman today (recommended by various people we spoke to). We discussed what we wanted and didn't want. He showed us some drawings of places they have designed around the area and last but not least what costs we'll incur to get a planning permit.

I believe after getting the planning permit is when the fun will really starts.

We discussed it and we've decided to engage the draughtsmen to do a feasability study and plan a meeting with the town planner to ascertain if what we want is acceptable.

As always I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Q

Hi guys,

Got a call from the draughtsman and he advised that the town planner has stopped meeting with anyone building less than 5 townhouses / apartments. I called the town planner and he verified this. His comment was that if the drawings complied with the town planning codes then we shouldn't have any concerns.

So, with that in mind I have directed the draughtsman to start planning the project.

I believe the next steps are to go and measure the block and mock up some drawings.

As usual I'll keep you posted but if anyone has any words of widom I would be glad to read them.

Cheers

Q

You don't really need an architect to be honest - an experienced draftsman and a decent knowledge of the building scheme in your area is more than enough, especially if you have a good idea of what you want to build anyway.

I'd also suggest chatting to a builder about different costings on different materials/styles of doing things. A lot of the time the architect really doesn't care about your final build price (or isn't aware of changes in the building industry) so an experienced builder with a bit of time and honesty can save tends of thousands on a build no problem.

Good luck though :)

Back