Steve Keen-where are you now?

So how long do we have to wait ?

2 ,5 , 10 , 20 , 50 years

Will he claim victory if it's 20 years . He gave a fairly specific time frame and was wrong.....

Cliff

According to the new IPCC report about that long - I am sure property prices will suffer when catostrophic climate change kicks in!

Scoff at Keen at your own peril, the guy got a lot right predicting the GFC and is internationally respected for that. There is still some chance he will be right on Australia, just a bit early.

Did he though?

Not according to others

Link

Steve Keen, formerly a professor at the University of Western Sydney, is known for claiming more loudly and confidently than just about anyone else on the planet that he "predicted the global financial crisis". According to Keen, this should be a reason to believe his extensive critiques of neoclassical (i.e. mainstream) economics, and his suggested alternative paradigm, known as "Post-Keynesianism".

So in what way did Keen "predict the crisis"?

Searching the internet, I can find no record of an ex-ante prediction by Keen of a large-scale U.S. housing bubble. He did, however, predict an Australian housing bubble, in 2007 after the U.S. housing bubble had already begun to pop. That prediction has so far yet to materialize; Australian housing prices have not collapsed yet. As a result of this incorrect prediction, Keen lost a high-profile bet.

Did Keen predict the collapse of the U.S. finance industry (the Lehman shock and subsequent bailouts)? Not that I can find. Nor did he warn of the risk of such an industry collapse, as far as I can find.

Continues on link...

Scoff at Keen at your own peril, the guy got a lot right predicting the GFC and is internationally respected for that. There is still some chance he will be right on Australia, just a bit early.

I'll make some predictions too.

China will crash.

ALP will win government.

There will be WWIII.

Remember you heard it here first.

I'll make some predictions too.

China will crash.

ALP will win government.

There will be WWIII.

Remember you heard it here first.

And Datto will be the first king of Australia!

Steve Keen, eat your friggin heart (and text books) out. Property prices are going up, up up.

Last edited:
According to the new IPCC report about that long - I am sure property prices will suffer when catostrophic climate change kicks in!
I'm told the world temp hasn't risen in the last 15 years, so we can turn down the volume on all those blokes and blokes like old Steve.

I'm told the world temp hasn't risen in the last 15 years, so we can turn down the volume on all those blokes and blokes like old Steve.

One thing that always concerned me about the world model they use is they don't have enough information about sea temperatures to plug into the model.
Many unusual weather events are driven by sea surface temperatures and ocean currents.
They say the deep sea oceans have absorbed the warming of our planet.

You dont see Sixty Minutes doing a story on Steve Keen's prediction now do you..I wonder if its do with no promotional milage in it for them! :rolleyes:

One thing that always concerned me about the world model they use is they don't have enough information about sea temperatures to plug into the model.
Many unusual weather events are driven by sea surface temperatures and ocean currents.

What do you think would drive sea surface temperatures?

One eyed optimism is a dangerous perspective to have - just sayin. Anyone who thinks property prices couldn't crash in a place like Australia is off their chops. Keen may have been wrong in respect of timing but it's still a plausible proposition.

Looking on the interweb October 2013 was the end date for Keens bet
:confused:

As I recall there were two bets, one was that prices would be lower in 12 months from the date of bet in 2008, he lost and did the walk. The other was over a period of 10-15 years. What were the particulars of the 5 year bet if any?

Told by who? Alan Jones?
He's a bit too silly for me to bother with.

Try Andrew Bolt.

He rolls out that stat almost every week...loves to give it to Tim Flannery in particular. Remember him? He said the dams would never be full again.

And AB is more than happy for anyone to go on his program and debate it (the temp not rising and other gems)...no one will.

Why is that?

What do you think would drive sea surface temperatures?

One eyed optimism is a dangerous perspective to have - just sayin. Anyone who thinks property prices couldn't crash in a place like Australia is off their chops. Keen may have been wrong in respect of timing but it's still a plausible proposition.
Prices did crash in Melb in the early '90's when the interest rates hit 18%.

That's about the only time they ever have to my knowledge, and it was mostly yer higher end speculative purchases if I remember correctly....folk having to offload the overpriced panic purchase of the previous boom because they couldn't afford the IR.

I think the average house in Averageville was largely unaffected to any degree.

Yes, they could crash again....but my feeling is a slow deflation and/or stagnation until wages catch up again.

So how long do we have to wait ?

2 ,5 , 10 , 20 , 50 years

Will he claim victory if it's 20 years . He gave a fairly specific time frame and was wrong.....

Cliff

That hurt.

He got it absolutely wrong, he predicted Oz prop to fall as much as 40%, guess what Melb was rising during GFC while he was ranting, he never saw this coming, economists never get it right.

He got it absolutely wrong, he predicted Oz prop to fall as much as 40%, guess what Melb was rising during GFC while he was ranting

To be fair some of the gold coast dropped 40% and I think most of Melbourne was pretty flat during this period with some falls as well so I wouldn't say it was rising during the GFC but happy to see some graphs. Does anyone know if the GFC has ended?

To be fair some of the gold coast dropped 40% and I think most of Melbourne was pretty flat during this period with some falls as well so I wouldn't say it was rising during the GFC but happy to see some graphs. Does anyone know if the GFC has ended?

Incorrect, I was investing in Melb during the GFC purchased 5 properties and put together DA for 8 unit site, the market was booming, it lasted for 18 months, started in the inner city and then the ripple effect. I will certainly not forget this time.

As far as Gold coast, falling. Well Keen predicted Australia to fall back 40-50%, he got it wrong, it did not happen. You either get it right or you get it wrong, really, Gold Coast is not all of Australia.

For the record, Keen actually stated that he "got it wrong", as I said he is an economist.

MTR

hope they have it right because big decisions are being made on the back of their forecasts:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/19130439/rising-sea-levels-put-400m-project-in-doubt/

Incorrect, I was investing in Melb during the GFC purchased 5 properties and put together DA for 8 unit site, the market was booming, it lasted for 18 months, started in the inner city and then the ripple effect. I will certainly not forget this time.

As far as Gold coast, falling. Well Keen predicted Australia to fall back 40-50%, he got it wrong, it did not happen. You either get it right or you get it wrong, really, Gold Coast is not all of Australia.

For the record, Keen actually stated that he "got it wrong", as I said he is an economist.

MTR

When were you buying in melb? My friends was trying to sell a house about 1.5-2 years ago and had no success. I think clearance rates were about 50-60% then. There's lots of markets within markets etc so I'm not sure where keen was predicting when he said that, maybe in toorak or karlgoolie.

Back