Stone or laminex benchtops?

So, what do Forumites think? stone or laminate benchtops?

It's a medium range in an ok suburb. would it increase rent at all if we had stone or laminate??

I found on Ebay new stone 3000x60 about $800 a piece. But who then would we get to instal it? A stone mason? I wonder if they'd do it if we didn't get the product from them.

Same with laminate. Would a carpenter do it, or a kitchen place? I called one kitchen place but they said no if i had my own.

Unless its a higher end home in a suburb where its an expected item, laminex is far cheaper and the rental differnence will be minimal.

Unless it's a quality home in a quality area - laminex is fine. Tenants won't care as long as it's clean and vaguely attractive.

Stonemason would install stone - handyman can install laminex. Don't need carpenter.

I looked into stone quickly recently.

Apparently hot items such as a pot will crack it. Since its stone I can just see a tenant putting one down on the top. No burn mark so how do you prove the tenant broke it?

For an ordinary IP, in an ordinary area rented to students/low-income earners laminex is plenty. If you're looking for renters in better areas (over $800 pw in Melbourne) you need to put a decent stonetop in otherwise you won't get renters.

Thanks guys!
I really appreciate this forum, it kind of confirms what we have been thinking, but good to hear from those who've been there done that.
So...laminex here we come.

Pardon my ignorance, but with laminex, is it worth buying sheets of it online but who would cut it and shape it to install?

Ta.

We put granite in all our units.

Costs us $500 per unit supplied with the joins cut by the stonemason and any of the visible edges polished to the normal standard. Have been caught with some fake black granite that has turned out to be grey granite dyed black all fine except that hot pans burns the black dye out and have been left with rings. Have been able to reduce the intensity of the rings by using darkener.

We then cut the slabs down further to fit the walls and also cut out the sink hole. We only use the standard drop in sink not a flash under bench sink.

Comes up good and I will get much better wear out of the granite than the laminex which some tenants can really destroy with things like knifes straight on the laminex.

So far we have fitted about 14 kitchens this way.

Cheers

We put granite in all our units.

Costs us $500 per unit supplied with the joins cut by the stonemason and any of the visible edges polished to the normal standard. Have been caught with some fake black granite that has turned out to be grey granite dyed black all fine except that hot pans burns the black dye out and have been left with rings. Have been able to reduce the intensity of the rings by using darkener.

We then cut the slabs down further to fit the walls and also cut out the sink hole. We only use the standard drop in sink not a flash under bench sink.

Comes up good and I will get much better wear out of the granite than the laminex which some tenants can really destroy with things like knifes straight on the laminex.

So far we have fitted about 14 kitchens this way.

Cheers

Yep, the Indian and Chinese producers use every dodgy device in the book on black (or greyer) granite, which is likely all you'll get for $500 a bench top. You can touch up burn fading yourself with "Black Raven Oil", or alternatively source quality (i.e. untreated) black granite at stone wholesalers, then get your stonemason to manufacture it into a top for you. It will cost you more, but it won't need any touch ups. Agree that drop-in sinks are far cheaper and far more durable than undermounted cut-outs (which can be easily chipped at the edges anyway and their sinks can loosen over time). Go granite if you can: It's near-indestructible, but be aware that paler granites can be quite visibly marked by oil, and standing on the rim of sink cut-outs (to paint or change bulbs) often results in it cracking (as with any natural stone).

I looked into stone quickly recently.

Apparently hot items such as a pot will crack it. Since its stone I can just see a tenant putting one down on the top. No burn mark so how do you prove the tenant broke it?

I had Cesar stone in my last house and I would take my hot lamb roast in a scan pan straight out of the oven and put is straight onto the stone bench and not a mark. It was so convenient. I absolutely loved it.

I have heard of people doing the same on granite and it's cracked it (not sure if is true).

Angel

We always put manufactured stone in our IP's. I like the look and i think its a bit of a wow factor to the kitchen that can completely re-make an older kitchen with little expense.

Back