Strangest "doodads" story you have heared

The other is a digital Timex Marathon (one of those $30 things) we found in one of our IP's during a clean out in a cupboard about 10 years ago.

When the strap gave up before the watch did, I spent $20 on a new strap.

I've replaced the battery once for $15.

OK, no wurries - so it's a race to the scroogy bottom of the barrel !! You're on.

Purchased a dodgy $ 19.00 watch from some dodgy chemist in some flea bitten shopping centre up in Broome 17 years ago.

Always hated wearing watches....felt uncomfortable for about 3 weeks until the plastic wristband snapped. No wurries. Popped the watch in my pocket...much better.

That watch went with me everywhere in my pocket through out my entire engineering career, both on the rigs in my overalls and later in offices throughout the world. Was perfect in the pocket and for recording crucial timings with all of the heavy spinning equipment which could rip your arm off if snagged

Never changed the battery, still works.....never missed a beat.

The clock on the phone has now superceded it, but that watch, along with a set of clippers (no paid haircuts for 18 years) are two of the symbols of my Scottish frugalness that have allowed me to do what I now do.

.....and yes, after a decent amount of time, you get to spend up big without it holding you back.

Spending a bucketful on doodads is nothing when you have a swimming pool full, but it's waay too much when you are starting out with only half a bucket.

Purchased a dodgy $ 19.00 watch from some dodgy chemist in some flea bitten shopping centre up in Broome 17 years ago.

Always hated wearing watches....felt uncomfortable for about 3 weeks until the plastic wristband snapped. No wurries. Popped the watch in my pocket...much better.

That watch went with me everywhere in my pocket through out my entire engineering career, both on the rigs in my overalls and later in offices throughout the world. Was perfect in the pocket and for recording crucial timings with all of the heavy spinning equipment which could rip your arm off if snagged

Never changed the battery, still works.....never missed a beat.

Brilliant! :D

The Y-man

Spending a bucketful on doodads is nothing when you have a swimming pool full, but it's waay too much when you are starting out with only half a bucket.

Which is what the majority of people do. They work hard, save little and then they go reward themselves with something sparkly, on credit, only to get themselves deeper.

I guess the missus and my vice are BMWs. Got two and looking at buying another. Nothing much, just a X6 M50d. :eek:

Which is what the majority of people do. They work hard, save little and then they go reward themselves with something sparkly, on credit, only to get themselves deeper.

I guess the missus and my vice are BMWs. Got two and looking at buying another. Nothing much, just a X6 M50d. :eek:

How much does a top model missus cost?

How much does a top model missus cost?

I am a "top model missus" and I cost HEAPS...just ask hubby :p
(usually because I won't let him spend any $$ because I want it for business stock or investment :) )

I am WORTH much more than I cost though :D

I don't have many toys, but have loved watches all my life. When I was 9 years old I started with a $50 seiko (gift from my older brother on his way back from europe, duty free), progressed to the omega in my twenties. Now in my forties I wear a patek philippe. At 35,000 euros I didn't even bat an eyelid. Recently bought one for the wife. My only real toys are watches and assets. Reward yourself - life is very short.

And don't always assume the "tosser" with the watch, car or whatever is high on credit. Many pay cash for items they love after years of hard work and prudent investing.

I salute you sir, a timepiece (not a watch) is something special in this life. I'm at the moment looking for a pre-loved AP Roayl Oak, but I dont think I can pull it off, skinny wrist syndrome lol

These are the most expensive items in my household. There is no tv, no sound system no air con, no jewellery, old clothes, single mattress on the floor. My ten year old toyota is worth about 3k.

A $750k PPoR that has no air con?

Dude, sell a few of those shares you still hold and at least buy a tv and a proper bed.

You should be able to pick up both on Ebay for about $500 all up.

One of the best doodad purchases I can remember was my uncle, who owned a hardware and timber supplies business in our home town.

It earned him decent income, but he was no Bill Gates.

One year, he bought my Auntie a Daimler for an Easter gift. :rolleyes:

I've made plenty of expensive and and non expensive doodad purchases. Im in the make it, enjoy life and spend it if you got it camp.

I love watches as well. Recently i lost a Longines watch at a restaurant night in Glebe, Sydney. Dancing with the belly dancer after a few wines.

I loved that watch. I have a TAG but dont wear it much.

I have a feeling I am going to start making a few 'doodad' purchases....

My growing fondness of watches and wallets are going to be my bane!

my sister and her hubby built a house recently, and spent something stupid like $80k or $100k on louvers for the patio roof.

i still shake my head at this.

Back