Strangest "doodads" story you have heared

Well,

As I never had the toys as a kid (parents only bought educational games ;P), as soon as I got my first paycheck I went out with a friend and spent $1000 on an X-BOX, chipped with about 1000 games and 4 controllers + the works etc.

Mate did the same, big plans to have 8 player games. I think I used it twice my entire life. Just has dust collecting on it now. LOL.

Now days, other than the occasional VERY high phone bill (dumb i know), I have a known vice for nice kitchen gear, eg. from amazing knives, to the little wooden thing you use to spread the crepe mix on the crepe pan. Can't complain, the meals are great and my housemate has taken full advantage, going so far as to MAKING the pasta and bread. Yeah, we got pasta makers :p

I have been eyeing a $2000 watch for a couple of years now, tho don't think I could ever bring myself to get anything other than my $100 I wear now.

I personally am not very materialistic... my watch is a nice enough thing Citizen that cost about $150 and was an 18th bday gift (15 years ago now).

I buy a new PC every 4 years which costs about $1000, finally replaced my 20" LCD screen that I have had since 2006 with a 27" one a few weeks ago which has been my only PC expenditure this year.

My one vice is hifi and its is my single biggest investment made but even that is relatively inexpensive. I bought a quite nice Anthem receiver and some new front speakers from Paradigm about a year ago which cost about $5k, and a new CD player which was another $2k, but thats all I will spend now for another few years.

I know someone who has a household income of about 250k and never has any spare money, every cent is spent the minute it comes in.

I personally am not very materialistic... my watch is a nice enough thing Citizen that cost about $150 and was an 18th bday gift (15 years ago now).

I buy a new PC every 4 years which costs about $1000, finally replaced my 20" LCD screen that I have had since 2006 with a 27" one a few weeks ago which has been my only PC expenditure this year.

My one vice is hifi and its is my single biggest investment made but even that is relatively inexpensive. I bought a quite nice Anthem receiver and some new front speakers from Paradigm about a year ago which cost about $5k, and a new CD player which was another $2k, but thats all I will spend now for another few years.

I know someone who has a household income of about 250k and never has any spare money, every cent is spent the minute it comes in.

Strangely enough I think that this thread has deviated from it's original course somewhat...

My vice is also Hifi - I have a Rotel amp and JBL speakers in one room and a Yamaha amp and B&W speakers in another. But the best part is I purchased a couple of Apple Airport Expresses and an Apple TV - so that I can listen to music in any of 4 rooms (independently or all at once) using either my Ipod or IPad as a remote to control all of my music that is stored on the Mac.

These handy little devices cost between $100-$150 each and allow you to access your music library wirelessly and remotely from any room in the house!

Awesome!

There is a very minute correlation between income and wealth (financial). And even worse, there is smaller link between income and wealth in anything, happiness, family, spiritual, mental, physical well being.

Due to the industry I'm in, I know A LOT of people on $250k individual income. With everyone other than the secretary on $100k+

Maybe 2 of those have any assets other than their house. Most are broke a year after they retire, and have to return to work. Very gloomy individuals.

What they have are "assets they can sell in an emergency" such as 5 cars, 5 boats, 5 motorcycles and a fridge with an endless beer supply. =/

I just got my latest doo-dad this week!

$13,000 bike plus $2000+ worth of extra doodads that are needed to go with a new bike (helmet, shoes, pedals, bottle cages, GPS/computer, socks, new kit etc).

Pretty much thats nearly a 10% deposit on a house, but Im 29 and having a mid-life crisis.

Will post a pic of my senseless purchase when I get the steerer cut and a new stem to lower my bars.

Some doodads make us happy, therefore justified!

pinkboy:cool:

I don't understand people who spend multiple hundreds of dollars on brand name sunglasses and then whinge when they sit on them/lose them.

I buy mine from the Cancer Shop for less than $50 - and damn they're good glasses.

I'm with you on this one. I don't get people who spend heaps on sunglasses just for a 'look' when they are no better than cheaper ones.

I remember taking my cousin out sightseeing once and we parked on a cliff and looked down on a beach. I excitedly started raving about the dolphins swimming right next to the surfers who were waiting for a wave and he couldn't see them. Right there!, I pointed. How can you not see them? I was getting frustrated trying to explain where they were then put on his $200 name brand sunnies, (little rectangular things) that gave no protection really and of course weren't polaroid either!

Cancer council sunnies all the way for me.

I'm also not very materialistic.
My watch is about 20 years old, and probably cost $20. I have replaced the leather strap and batteries several times though.

TV is at least 20 years old. Floor model.I still have the same wooden bed set I purchased 34 years ago, and it still looks great.

My latest splurge would be my notebook laptop 2 1/2 years ago.We bought 2. First one cost $225, and the second cost $150, because we used our "bonus points". We travelled 100 kms to get it, cause the local pharmacy ran out of stock, and it was a one day deal.
We have since purchased longer lasting batteries for them, so they are now good for 8 hrs.

I have a desk top computer, but I don't want to use it anymore.

What they have are "assets they can sell in an emergency" such as 5 cars, 5 boats, 5 motorcycles and a fridge with an endless beer supply. =/

Reminds me of where I used to work. Bunch of ego-driven sales reps. Two in particular were having a conversation one day about excessive spending of money. These are guys that would pull in 300-500k pa. One was giving the other some flack about how he had a way-over-the-top pram to push his kid around in, and how when he invited this guy's family over to his place for xmas, the pram couldn't fit through the front door (downplaying the sort of mansion err house he lives in) and he had to push it round the back to get in.

The other guy quipped "yeah, ok, that's true, it is a pretty high end chair but at least my baby won't get hurt in it. And sure, it didn't fit through your front door. In fact, I could barely get it down the drive either, there was too much stuff taking up room! The BMW, the Merc and the jetski" :)

LOL! I've never used angry birds. What the heck is that?

Isnt that what you get when your two girlfriends meet each other? :D

I have always thought of myself as being over the top materialistic - however, reading this thread makes me look mundane.

I have a $2,000 dive computer/watch which I have had for a couple of years.
I own a nice (push) Bike with all the accessories (however it cost me about $1500 not $15,000) :p
My iphone and mac were paid for by work - so that doesn't count.
I have an expensive set of headphones (yep those silly looking things teenage rappers walk around with around their necks). However, given my travel schedule I feel its justified.
My sunnies cost about $500 a pop - but that is because I wear presciptions. If I didnt I would use safety glasses provided by work.
And then boats - lots and lots of money is cooked each year on boats. Unknown to many boat is an acronym for "Better Organise Another Thousand". However, I rack up about 300hrs engine hours each year, so I guess its also justified given the amount of fun I get from it, and the amount of "free" seafood my family eats.

Maybe I am a tight ar*se after all :cool:

Blacky

Isnt that what you get when your two girlfriends meet each other? :D

I have always thought of myself as being over the top materialistic - however, reading this thread makes me look mundane.

I have a $2,000 dive computer/watch which I have had for a couple of years.
I own a nice (push) Bike with all the accessories (however it cost me about $1500 not $15,000) :p
My iphone and mac were paid for by work - so that doesn't count.
I have an expensive set of headphones (yep those silly looking things teenage rappers walk around with around their necks). However, given my travel schedule I feel its justified.
My sunnies cost about $500 a pop - but that is because I wear presciptions. If I didnt I would use safety glasses provided by work.
And then boats - lots and lots of money is cooked each year on boats. Unknown to many boat is an acronym for "Better Organise Another Thousand". However, I rack up about 300hrs engine hours each year, so I guess its also justified given the amount of fun I get from it, and the amount of "free" seafood my family eats.

Maybe I am a tight ar*se after all :cool:

Blacky

Nah, I'll show you what tight arsz is (or frugally wise, depending on your perspective):

The last watch I bought was a Seiko waterproof one about 14 years ago for about $150 and it is still going strong, so no need to change it.

My bike is a Giant mountain bike that was a hand-me-up from my son when he left home a few years ago. It takes me everywhere on and off road, so it's a keeper

I bought a Samsung Galaxy SII on a cheapo $19 plan ($450 calls and a whopping 2.25GB data) when the SIII just came out. Magnificent phone and it will only cost me $240 for the phone portion. My iPhone4 wielding son is very jealous of it.

Sunnies are provided through optical cover provided by my work.

Boats are something I sweet talk or pay someone else to cart me around in on the rare occasions that I do go on one, not buy. As you say, they are money pits.

I really lashed out and bought a Samsung Ultrabook 13" earlier this year for $1200 (which I found a month later for $1000 :(), but got half that back through salary packaging. Very fast machine with super long battery life and light as. We all have our weaknesses I suppose. :D

doodads?

I'm typing off an old Macbook that i bought off gumtree. Bloody brillant for websurfing and whatnot when away in camp at work. Spent $400. My lackie bought a brand new top of the line toshiba which broke down, he through it out and bought another one.... bloody brand new. Worth an absolute packet each. Matches is iPad too :p

I wear a polar heart rate watch which i had received as a birthday present. But with triathlon training and mountainbiking, im seriously considering a suunto ambit

20120123-SUUNTO-Ambit-GPS-Uhr-Watch-ISPO-20121.png

as i don't want to double up and get a bike GPS computer at the same time. Works with Strava too if you convert the data!

Spent a bit on pushbikes, but use them more than the car when home on R&R. Car cost me 2k and still going strong! Lackie just bought a new 300c STR8. I don't have a TV... Lacky has a big F off tv haha He wonders why the broker won't lend him alot, despite being a 'miner'

hmmm thats about everything?

Skip the Suunto - stick to the Garmins.

Have one good MTB and one good road bike (old road bike has been kept to use for rainy day/windtrainer rides)

Still have hubby's 16 year old TV. Good excuse not to watch it.

One of the guys we work with has ipad, iphone, black berry, and a few other doodads. Not the best IT wise, you still can never get him on the phone, and at least one item is always broken/in being repaired.

iMac (6yrs and never a problem), iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, never had a watch, go by the sun or clock radio in the car, these days the iPhone or mac tells me the time, not many deadlines to keep anyway.

$10-20 sunnies about every two years, they get scratched and messed up at work.

Spent about $10k on camera and gear though.:D

I know someone who simply must change residence seems like every two years along with a new 4wd. I could retire on the stamp duty, legals alone...!!!

Can't wait to throw all the above away and live a simple no doodad life somewhere tropical lots of sand,water & coconuts.

Back