Strata leak has damaged my unit and they wont pay!

Hello,

My strata unit in WA received water damage to the carpet due to a pipe in the wall bursting. Their was also some leakage into the unit below and the strata has advised it was a communal strata water pipe. The problem is they are saying i am responsible for the damage in my unit. The strata company took it to the strata council who said they wont pay.
My understanding if someone, be it your neighbor or a strata company, they have to pay for any damage they cause.

Does my position sound right? How do i deal with this if they refuse to pay?

Thanks a lot

Hi smallbuyer,

I would have funked that damage caused by the communal strata water pipe would be either covered by insurance or a special levy.

I could be wrong though.

Cheers Spades.

Who are you insured with?

Have a quick read of your PDS to determine if it?s not covered.

Leaks are not always covered, sometimes it?s only the investigation cost associated with the leak, and not the resulting damage.

I have seen these getting messy from time to time.. it pays to read the fine print

Thanks for the replies. I dont think it will be a huge amount of money, maybe 1-2K and my insurance excess is high (and i dont want to make un needed claims) but the point is why should come back to me. Someone else caused damage to my property they should pay to rectify the damage. If my shower tiles leak and damage the downstairs unit i am liable. My understanding anyway.

It seems odd but they're all like that. Some strata's will agree to foot the bill. I've had some claim it on their insurance if the owner will pay the excess but most say tuff luck, claim it on your own insurance...Doesn't seem right does it!

Back