Sub-Division Help

Hello All,

We recently bought a property. Its an old house but the block is big and we are planning to demolish the house and put two new dwellings side by side.
The architect i am talking to at the moment is charging me $9000 and he told me that there will be approx. $6000 Surveyor's fees plus the Council's Fees. The architect will handle the entire process of Sub-Division. He also told me that he will get Surveyors to contact me and give me a rough estimate of their Fees.
Questions:
1. The Dollar figure the Architect gave us...does it sounds right?
2. Does it take 3 weeks to get a Surveyor to contact me and give me a quote?
Please assist.
Thanks.

hey,
As for your first question i cant really help you as i am using a company called tamawood homes they have set plans and they also do the building and council side of things. But as for your seccond question a simple subdivision a surveyor should be able to give you a rough estimate over the fone as they would have done alot of similar subdivisions to yours.

hope this helps you a bit.

Hello All,

We recently bought a property. Its an old house but the block is big and we are planning to demolish the house and put two new dwellings side by side.
The architect i am talking to at the moment is charging me $9000 and he told me that there will be approx. $6000 Surveyor's fees plus the Council's Fees. The architect will handle the entire process of Sub-Division. He also told me that he will get Surveyors to contact me and give me a rough estimate of their Fees.
Questions:
1. The Dollar figure the Architect gave us...does it sounds right?
2. Does it take 3 weeks to get a Surveyor to contact me and give me a quote?
Please assist.
Thanks.

I was thinking of speaking to an architect in regards to my sub-division process in Ipswich Qld (I live in NSW). So far I have contacted the council (who recommended using a town planning consultant to project manage the process for me) and surveyor and I'm trying to find a town planning consultant, although the surveyor uses one that has a very good success rate with the Ipswich council.

The surveyor has told me that the whole sub-division application/approval process can cost from $30,000 - $50,000 including council holding costs, infrastructure and various impact reports, water, power and sewerage connections etc. This figure blew me away, ... I suppose its cheaper than buying another block of land, but geez ..... lol ... and you can bet that the majority of this money is for taxes, fees and levies for the various local and state govt's.

I'm getting the surveyor to survey the block to position the existing house, so that we can see how much land is vacant before we go any further.

I hope it's cheaper in your neck of the woods.

Martin

Thanks toylux95 & Mystery.
Mine is not a huge sub-division. Its only dividing one into two.
Architect contacted me today and assured me that the Surveyors will send me their quotes tomorrow...so fingures crossed.
I would love to hear from forumates who had actually done a similar sub-dision in Victoria...their experiences, time frame, $$$
This is totally new to me and i am sure i am learn alot from this project.... will keep posting on the future developments....:)
Thanks again.

Progress:

Booked in Surveyor. I guess it will take 3 - 4 weeks for surveyor to provide the detailed site report to the Architect who will then start working on the drawings.
Next progress ETA: mid December 2007

Spoke to Surveyor's office today and they are really busy. They recon the Surveyor will be onsite on 21st or 22nd this month and report generally takes 24 hours.
Hope the report reaches the architect before XMAS so that we can atleast get a rough drawings.

Be sure to stay on top of the surveyor especially if it is a big company with lots of work, I have been caused endless delays by one company in particular who cost me 6 months in time and lost me a re-finance twice because I couldn't get my land titles through quickly enough. Not to mention the holding costs whilst you work your way up to the top of their pile of paperwork!

Be sure to stay on top of the surveyor especially if it is a big company with lots of work, I have been caused endless delays by one company in particular who cost me 6 months in time and lost me a re-finance twice because I couldn't get my land titles through quickly enough. Not to mention the holding costs whilst you work your way up to the top of their pile of paperwork!

Thanks Sparky23 for this advise...will definitely keep this in mind. Time is really a critical factor and definitely can't afford to loose 6 months. Things should start progress after the XMAS i guess. :)

Finally got Surveyor out today to Survey the property.
Hopefully, architect will get the report next week so that we can start the design process and have some sort of initial meeting with the Council this month.

Surveyor report with architect.
Architect has designed a 3 Double Storey units...meeting him today for some changes. Will post the design as soon as its ready.
Meeting council next week just to get an idea/feedback.

It does sound right for an architect but you wehter you need one is the thing. A building designer and townplanner are normally a more affordable combination. My wife is a town planner and she charges around the $1000 mark for all the planning side of things, surveyor another $800 or so and then a building designer a couple of grand. If you are happy to run around and actually get the paperwork from the different individuals and lodge the application yourself you can save a heap of money ofr doing a lltle uneducated leg work.

The architect should handle the whole thing for that sort of cash including the surveyor

I'd very much like to see how this goes! I'll look forward to your updates.

Would someone claify for me the following roles and how they fit in with each other:

Architect
Planner (council)
Planner (private)
Surveyor
Building designer
Builder.

For instance I know an architect will draw up designs and a builder will build it. But a spec builder has his own plans so do you need an architect for anything?

Do people use architects mainly on odd shaped / sloping blocks or are they worth the cost for standard flat blocks?

I have been caused endless delays by one company in particular who cost me 6 months in time

6 months! that is absolutely hopeless.

i have a surveyor on my team who, granted i give repeat business to regularly, can get out usually within a week and have the drawn up plans to me by the following week ... even quicker if it's urgent for a settlement.

detailed survey and plan costs me around $600 - so i'd love to see the breakup of your $6,000 ... although, council fees can be rather expensive - around $9,000 for a 4 unit development up to, and including, construction certificate. another lot of fees for the water board. then architect on top.

do you need to go architect, or can you build one of the many spec homes?

Sadly I was landed with this 'respected' Sydney company as it is the company the Sydney based builder also uses. On the other hand there is a local surveyor that moves much faster!

Re
Would someone claify for me the following roles and how they fit in with each other:

Architect
Planner (council)
Planner (private)
Surveyor
Building designer
Builder.

For instance I know an architect will draw up designs and a builder will build it. But a spec builder has his own plans so do you need an architect for anything?

Do people use architects mainly on odd shaped / sloping blocks or are they worth the cost for standard flat blocks?

Architect
Can draw only the plans but often like to manage the whole project engage builder etc. charge a percentage of cost for this. Architects can be very useful as far as orientation, layout etc goes, however the cost can be hard to recoup for houses that aren't in really great areas. Shortage are the moment too so lots of firms perfer to do big stuff, complexes etc.

Planner Council
This is the person who controls the approval of your project if you require planning approval rather than just building approval (usually for subdivisions or charcther houses, units material change of use etc.) They also coordinate engineering approvals etc.

Planner Private
This is what my better half does. Amount they do depends on clients. She primarily prepares Planning reports. This means that she writes a report to show how the development meets the requirements, photos of like properties argues for relaxations where neccessary etc. This is the cheapest way to do it, as in the TP prepares the report and you lodge it , along with your plans with the council and handle all correspondence etc. The report as a stand alone document my wifes charges would average $600-$1000 depending on number of codes needing addressing whether it meets all the requirments or your case needs to be argued. If you wanted the TP to handle any phonecalls, mail etc. you get charged a fair bit more (often on an hourly rate) as the TP if lodging will be the first point of contact for questions about the plans etc.

Surveyor
Many surveyors will also complete the town planning report but primarily they will pegout the boundaries and then a couple of corners of the building so that the builder puts the house in the right spot (not so important on acerage but very important if you are doing a built to the boundary wall)

Building designer
Designs the building as in draws the plans. In my experience many are not very familiar with the town planning requirements so may need some guidance unless your hous is a straight forward res a type zoning (and therefore probably doesn't require town planning anyway)

Builder
The builder can just build the house or can actually organise the whole thing including approvals etc. obviously this goes from cheapest option to dearest.

Should also include 2 more

Engineer
Will do the structural design from the building designer's/ architects plan, this is footings member sizes etc.

Private Certifier
This person will approve the building construction after you have town planning permission. It is their job to make sure that your building meets the the building code and that you have all neccessary approvals prior to construction starting

Overall if you are prepared to do the leg work you are much better off because if you have someone do all the running around for you you are probably going to be paying them $100 plus an hour. There is not a great deal of skill in this running around though if you don't know the professionals then it could be costly in delays if they are slow. Basic flow chart I would follow is:

1.Visit Council to see if town planning consent required any special requirements etc. (can also go straight to town planner but many will charge, my better half doesn't charge but check first)

2.If so go see town planner who can give you some guidelines for building designer (eg. 25m limit in length for small lot house in Bris city council)

3.Go to building Designer, start lining up builders if not already

4. Take completed plans to Town planner who will complete report

5. Submit plans and report to council

6.When approved give Engineer go ahead

7. Take approval, pland and engineering design to Certifier, get surveyor to boundary peg and corner markers

8. Builder can start once certifier approves plans and land is pegged

Had a meeting with Architect yesterday. He is going to make few internal changes as per our requirements.
Keeping fingures crossed as meeting Council next week for preliminary assessment. Council will give us a feedback in writing and if things goes smooth...Final drawings and submission next month :)

Preliminary meeting with Council today...
Will update on the results this evening :)
Hope council will see the development in our favor as we will be pushing for affordable housing :)

After a long one year of waiting...finally received planning permit today.
Very happy with the outcome.
Now in the process of getting Building Permits.
Thought i will post it here.

Back