Subdivision - Who to engage first

I'm looking at doing a simple subdivison for my PPOR....knockdown/rebuild and erecting 2 townhouses. Have spoken to local council briefly and got some info.

Now who is the best person to enage next? Will it be a draftsman/architect or will it be a private town planner? If a draftsman, will they assist with applying to council for the necessary permits etc?
Where do surveyors fit into the process and who engages them?

Thanks

Hey Neptune,
If your not building your own unique PPOR then start with a draftsmen. They will be cheaper than an architect and be able to put together something standard for you. I cannot say this about all draftsmen but mine handled everything with council as part of the process.
All up I spent about 7-8k for everything including engineering (not 100% sure you need this to get DA approval though) to get plans and permits.

Surveyor can come in pretty much anytime after that I belive including once the build has commenced/completed.

Word or warning, check your storm water and sewerage with council before you do anything. You may find troubles with this could cause major dramas and money.

Depends on the type of build you are after.

A lot of builders have in house designers who you can work with to design the house you want. The in-house service will often also include all the required permits, licenses and approvals. This will be built into the contract price, so you can finance against it.

If you go to a draftsman, you will pay a lot more upfront for all the above. However, as you own the designs you will have the option of getting quotes from a number of builders, which might (or might not) save you some costs.

Up to you, but my first port of call would be a couple of reputable builders.

Blacky

We plan on living in one of the townhouses as our PPOR and we'll keep the other as an IP. So the fit out of the PPOR will be a higher standard than the IP.

When I spoke to council they said there might be an issue with building to the boundary on both sides (garage wall) and said I might have to have a setback of 1m. This would not be good.

However there are dual occupancies around the neighbourhood that have built to the boundary so I would need a good draftsman that has experience with dealing with Maribyrnong council to be able to push this through. If anyone has any suggestions then please either PM me or let me know here.

Word or warning, check your storm water and sewerage with council before you do anything. You may find troubles with this could cause major dramas and money.

What are the issues here Alabanga that I need to look out for? There is an easement at the back of my property where sewage runs along so think this will be ok. The ground has a very minor slope back from the street so not sure yet if this will have an impact on stormwater.

I am only assuming If you didn't have the cash, you wouldn't be looking at this, but it is the first step.
I would then discuss the feasibility with a town planner...

I am only assuming If you didn't have the cash, you wouldn't be looking at this, but it is the first step.
I would then discuss the feasibility with a town planner...

Many people dont look at the finance first, sounds odd I know................

ta
rolf

Finance is definitely not an issue here. Can pay cash for PPOR portion of build but will still borrow and put existing cash in offset account so I maintain flexibility.

Once I get a handle on what I can/need to do then it will be off to see my broker. As it's my PPOR then there are no holding costs so time is not really an issue for me on this one.

What are the issues here Alabanga that I need to look out for? There is an easement at the back of my property where sewage runs along so think this will be ok. The ground has a very minor slope back from the street so not sure yet if this will have an impact on stormwater.

From my experience sewerage is usually fine but storm water can cause all sorts of issues. Call council and ask if there is a termination point in the easement for it.
Take my property for example, there is an easement with sewerage running through it but no storm water. I am also on a slope and the only way to terminate is at the uphill curb. Engineering have needed to design a pump system which has been quoted at 13-15k.
My mate had a similar situation on what seemed like flat land and then council also required some kind of pit, 30k later.

So as you can see this is a huge amount of your potential profit.

Back