Subdivisions - doing it and what to look for

I'm researching into subdivisions. From you lovely experts, what are your hot tips?

Being based in Adelaide, what issues arise from different local councils? I'm sure they differ with min sqm numbers.

What are the costs, are they fairly average? Is there a number I could pretty much set that it would cost me for subdivision alone?

If I am only buying a house to demolish and subdivide, so I need to worry about services to new blocks?

That's all the q's I can think of for now. I'm sure there's more. Would love your help! (remember go easy if these are dumb q's. I'm well noob level here)

I'm researching into subdivisions. From you lovely experts, what are your hot tips?

Being based in Adelaide, what issues arise from different local councils? I'm sure they differ with min sqm numbers.

What are the costs, are they fairly average? Is there a number I could pretty much set that it would cost me for subdivision alone?

If I am only buying a house to demolish and subdivide, so I need to worry about services to new blocks?

That's all the q's I can think of for now. I'm sure there's more. Would love your help! (remember go easy if these are dumb q's. I'm well noob level here)

the answers to your questions are complex & would require pages.

My suggestion is to identify a council area or 2 you're interested in, get on their website & start reading the DCP / LEP.

Vague answers to your questions:

Min block size will vary within council areas, let alone across Adelaide. There will probably be maps available which show minimum lot sizes /usage restrictions etc

Costs vary a lot from council to council, also the block features itself may impact sewage / drainage costs.

Yes you will need to worry about services to the newly created block

the answers to your questions are complex & would require pages.

My suggestion is to identify a council area or 2 you're interested in, get on their website & start reading the DCP / LEP.

Vague answers to your questions:

Min block size will vary within council areas, let alone across Adelaide. There will probably be maps available which show minimum lot sizes /usage restrictions etc

Costs vary a lot from council to council, also the block features itself may impact sewage / drainage costs.

Yes you will need to worry about services to the newly created block

thanks serendip, I should have realised it's more complex. I do have some experience building on a vacant block, but not demolishing existing and/or subdividing. Thanks for your help though!

Does subdividing costs include sewage and drainage installs? I would have thought this would be for building costs. It did when I was building.

Do some searches on the forum, this has been detailed in Adelaide before by many posters. You may need a bit more than $500 though.

Does subdividing costs include sewage and drainage installs? I would have thought this would be for building costs. It did when I was building.

I believe you will need to make sure the connections are available in order to complete the subdivision. Then of course the build would also require the services to be connected. For eg i was looking at a vacant block with the view to subdivide. There is a single connection to one corner of the block, the surveyor advised it would be necessary to extend the connection to the other side of the block so the sewerage could come down the driveway of the rear block. You may also be able to create an easement on the existing block, but of course there are disadvantages to that & now I'm getting in to territory I'm not qualified to discuss :)

I believe you will need to make sure the connections are available in order to complete the subdivision. Then of course the build would also require the services to be connected. For eg i was looking at a vacant block with the view to subdivide. There is a single connection to one corner of the block, the surveyor advised it would be necessary to extend the connection to the other side of the block so the sewerage could come down the driveway of the rear block. You may also be able to create an easement on the existing block, but of course there are disadvantages to that & now I'm getting in to territory I'm not qualified to discuss :)

Ahhhh, as in, the council wont allow subdivision if there is no possibility of service connections. Makes sense. Public dial before you dig access search might define this, or phone call/website council queries. So long as paid searches aren't required.

Ahhhh, as in, the council wont allow subdivision if there is no possibility of service connections. Makes sense. Public dial before you dig access search might define this, or phone call/website council queries. So long as paid searches aren't required.

Sort of. It depends if you're planning on subdividing / selling or subdividing / building. I believe if you subdivide / sell you're are responsible for ensuring the connections are in place.

bit of research thru local council, 20K to subdivide. Sound about the norm? quite a lot!

I would demo as well, and a few years back (when i first thought about it) I averaged it out to approx $10K.

These figures sound about right?

bit of research thru local council, 20K to subdivide. Sound about the norm? quite a lot!

I would demo as well, and a few years back (when i first thought about it) I averaged it out to approx $10K.

These figures sound about right?

Both figures sound OK.

Our local council charge an open space contribution dependent on how many dwellings you're putting up. It's based on a percentage of the land value where 3 dwellings equals 3% up to 5% for 5 or more dwellings.

Our demo for a 1920's weatherboard Cali bungalow is just over $14K inc gst.

You should read Erica and Bradys threads for learning some more about subdivisions. There is a lot at stake if you don't do your homework properly so you need to know a lot and do a lot of due diligence before venturing into it.

All things going well with available services, level block etc you will be looking at 20-22.5k for subdivision + 8-12k for demo.

Definitely important to do you research, particularly on stormwater where costs can be ~$1000/linear metre for extensions.

If and when you're serious about taking on a subdivision, engage a surveyor who can also provide you with an estimation of costs before you execute your purchase, they will be able to see if there's an preliminary 'surprises' before you're stuck.

I am not from Adelaide so can't really comment. The following you may need to look at, and allow for. Ensure that you have done your home work before doing any demolition.

- Check for zoning, lot size, frontage to see if you can subdivide (check with town planner)
- legal point for discharge for storm water and sewer services, plus any extra cost for installation if you need extra services for the second proposed lot
- survey cost
- council contributions & applications
- town planning cost
- demolition cost
- holding cost during the subdivision process
- retaining walls if required

Most importantly doing the research to ensure you are the property can be subdivided.

Back