Sunshine North, Vic - any opinions?

Hiya

I have been in melbourne for nearly 12 months (love it :D) and looking at purchasing land to build our castle. Currently living in West Footscray and like it out west.

There is a new development in Sunshine Nrth right on the river and would really appreciate peoples opinion on the area. There seems to be a lot of proposed development (ie new shopping centre and further land) and the site is close to Western Knights soccer stadium.

Your views are appreciated especially on potential growth, access and general opinion on suburb.

Cheers in advance

Dont know about the Public Transport around that side of Duke st and Berkshire Rd.
Obviously closer to Ballarat rd will have more buses.

Are the new blocks you are talking riverside or next to the quarry?
I'm personally a little wary about the stability of the land around there. Although i'm no engineer..

Dont know about the Public Transport around that side of Duke st and Berkshire Rd.

Easy. There's none!

Nearest buses are on Ballarat Rd or McIntyre Rd. The western end of Suffolk Rd also have them. Though they have poor reputations, for amenity and services central Sunshine and even Braybrook are far better.

Obviously closer to Ballarat rd will have more buses.

Are the new blocks you are talking riverside or next to the quarry?
I'm personally a little wary about the stability of the land around there. Although i'm no engineer..

Hey Tony

Thanks for the message.
Yes the land is on an old bluestone quarry site next to the river. I believe the land is sturdy and several homes are already built....not fallen down yet :eek:

Easy. There's none!

Nearest buses are on Ballarat Rd or McIntyre Rd. The western end of Suffolk Rd also have them. Though they have poor reputations, for amenity and services central Sunshine and even Braybrook are far better.

Thanks for the advice Spiderman.

The development is quite nice (close to river/parks etc) and has heaps of potential. Good for kids and families and a new shopping centre is on the cards only 500m away from estate. A lovely valley with plenty of trees on the opposite side of river.
I suppose the transport thing is a low priorty for me atm....hopefully this will be addressed in the near future.

Hi Jamie,

Not sure if you're still around, or still interested, but we've just built here, at River Valley, and we love it. Very quite, great walking tracks and the people here so far are just perfect neighbours. You should come down and see the valley first thing in the morning, the low fog over the river is just a gorgeous view to wake up to.

We moved from Camberwell (yes, I hear your 'gasp'!), and it has been quite an adjustment for me, but I really enjoy it now. It takes me 8 min to get to Highpoint, and just 10 min to get to Essendon. They have just re-launched the estate with new marketing etc, and approx 30 new houses will be under construction this year. IMO, it's doing much much better than it's nothern counterpart, Valley Lake. Happy to talk to you more about it off forum if you have any more questions!

My only wish is that they could have built the bridge that connects it to Avondale Heights, hence greater access to a good school belt. It was knocked back by residents in the Moonee Valley area about 24 months ago. Having said that, it's only 10-15 min to get to the essendon school area, and that's in morning traffic, too.

Public transport is not great, that's probably it's biggest downfall, but on the same note, seems to keep the place abit *cleaner*.

Cheers

I apologise in advance

With all due respect, I am glad the residents of Avondale Heights objected against the road from sunshine north because it will take time for the whole of sunshine (not sunshine north) to improve the status of people there and I for one dont want poeple from there using avondale heights as a thoroughfare with an increase in crime. Sorry but thats my opinion. I should know I have live in the west for 50 years!

I am sure that if I lived in Avondale Heights, I would probably feel the same way you do (in terms of increased traffic) - But Hercules, I hope you're ready for some big changes, with the new New Maribyrnong development Avondale Heights is about to change quite drastically! Don't think it will remain a sleepy little suburb for much longer.

I don't really think that a road increases crime though? I thought it was more public transport that shows correlations to crime rates? Anyway, as I said, it was only a **wish** because regardless of the proposed road, I still shop in Avondale Heights and my children go to school there, it would just save me about 15min a day in travel due to my proximity to the river. It's almost quicker for me to walk there than drive! Silly!

I would just like to add that there are plently of other roads that lead to Avondale heights from less desirable areas, one directly from Braybrook, then of course the freeways onto Millera Road, not sure why you've lashed out at the Sunshine North one so vindictively?

Sorry, I (emotionally) digress from the topic!

cheers
AV

With all due respect, I am glad the residents of Avondale Heights objected against the road from sunshine north because it will take time for the whole of sunshine (not sunshine north) to improve the status of people there and I for one dont want poeple from there using avondale heights as a thoroughfare with an increase in crime. Sorry but thats my opinion. I should know I have live in the west for 50 years!

Wow, a snobby Westy, haven't we come a long way!

Wow, a snobby Westy, haven't we come a long way!

Another example is the plan to rename Airport West to Essendon Fields. Airport West people like it, but people in Essendon proper think it devalues 'Essendon', which is a rather 'solid', 'respectable' and 'good' suburb. But all would be united in not thinking of themselves as 'westies' (which they would argue is more Sydney than Melbourne anyway).

Keilor Easterners want to call themselves Rosehillians, but in this case the latter would be a 'new' name with no effect on established areas, so is unlikely to face opposition.

Out the other side there's a ding dong down Keysborough way, where residents of a new estate think they're something special and wish to call themselves somewhere else. But 'old Keysborough' residents aren't amused, saying in the local 'Dandenong Star' that the push to secede reeks of snobbery. Why not just call the new estate 'Braeside East', and be done with it, or is that too 'industrial' for the newcomers?

The research on jealousy, envy and snobbery seems to indicate that these emotions are most strongly felt towards those nearby rather than those furthest away.

In other words people in Frankston look down at Franga North, but the latter reckon Frankston Southites are pretentious snobs. While the good burghers of Pascoe Vale South ask what's with the denizens of Coonans Hill. But they don't give a tinkers cuss about distant Toorak or Brighton, and the latter's squabbles over the rail line or Hampton St.

Wow....Good to see the thread is still active since inception in early Dec 08.

Thanks AV for your comments....I will endeavour to get out there again soon to witness progression and the early morning fog.

No no no Amazing Venice, I did not lash out at Sunshine North only the general area of sunshine. I do rate sunshine north highly as yes I do have an IP in noth sunshine at phoenix st.

the risk of Rivervalley residents entering Avondale Heights

Dear Hercules,
I have just moved into my new house in Rivervalley some 6 or 7 weeks ago, and I feel at home already. I dont know my neighbours as yet, but when I walk along Red Gum Drive and see their houses and cars and the way they care about this place and their homes I think I can assure you that you should not fear hordes of criminals, heathens and infidels coming across the bridge if it is ever built. On this side of the river we enjoy the peace and quiet.

Very Little done to develop the Estate

It is funny I read this back in 2009 but in all that time there has been very little promoting the Estate. The Developer, Real Estate Agent and Brimbank Council have all been very apathetical in developing the Area.

Did some research, the building of the foot bridge at Solomon's Ford was part of the plans for the greater Melbourne in 1929. May be we will see it in 2029.

There is plenty of potential in the area but no one wants it to develop. Reminds me of Essendon in the eighties. One day everyone woke up to the potential and property value skyrocketed.

The Estate is 10 kms from the CBD, 3 kms from Highpoint shopping Centre and quite a beautiful place to go walking by the river. In a funny way there is something about the lack of development that I really like:):)

Last edited:
Great timing on this post. Last week I had a 2 hour conversation with the town planners of Sunshine.

Sunshine and surrounding areas at present has the highest population growth in Australia.

The state government is concentrating on infrastructure in this area and there are massive plans for rail and road.

The local council is gentrifying Sunshines centre with a lot of rezoning and new design of the town centre.

Land is underpriced in many streets in the suburb and there are plenty of deals to be found.

On the downside though less than half of the population's native language is english.

There are massive cultural problems which link to a problematic crime rate.

Quality of tenants would be an issue if one was to lease; however if you're looking to build and live here and hold a property for 20 years I'd suggest that the property would be well positioned to grow substantially.

With that said though no one has a crystal ball and the area does contain the risks and rewards associated with buying in under developed areas. Guess it just depends what your expectations are and how you view risk.

If you'd like some more info give me a call as i've a tonne of documents that we can go through.

Wanted to give a bit more info on this.

Depending on your budget I'd recommend these areas:

WHERE - Matthew's Hill
WHAT - +$450K 2 bed house

WHERE - Near but not on Forest Street, Anderson Street, Glengula Rd (near shops)
WHAT $300-450K 2/3 bed house

Other areas to consider are West Sunshine, North Sunshine (more family oriented) and my favorite Albion (still get a good buy here).

River Valley Estate Sunshine North

Jack, the problem with River Valley is that it is removed from where the development is. It is at least a kilometer away from the nearest bus stop and about 500 meters of the walk to the bus stop or park doesn't have a sealed path of any kind. The one aspect that is holding River Valley back is a lack of investment by the developer and council.

The developer has just put part of the estate up on the market for sale by tender. He must be trying to impress potential buyers because for the first time in a long time the walking path by the river has actually been cleaned up and looks like it is maintained

It is funny I read this back in 2009 but in all that time there has been very little promoting the Estate. The Developer, Real Estate Agent and Brimbank Council have all been very apathetical in developing the Area.

Did some research, the building of the foot bridge at Solomon's Ford was part of the plans for the greater Melbourne in 1929. May be we will see it in 2029.

There is plenty of potential in the area but no one wants it to develop. Reminds me of Essendon in the eighties. One day everyone woke up to the potential and property value skyrocketed.

The Estate is 10 kms from the CBD, 3 kms from Highpoint shopping Centre and quite a beautiful place to go walking by the river. In a funny way there is something about the lack of development that I really like:):)[/QUOT

Valuations in this estate are coming in quite a bit under cost of land and construction

Back