swap bathroom and laundry

ok so my bathroom is tiny 1700x1760 and my laundry is ... well bigger and has a shower in it already
my thoughts are if i switched the bathroom and laundry around i would have room for a vanity, bath and shower with walking room still and the laundry could still fit a washing machine, small cupboard and overhead cupboards and a laundry trough
i could also then cut a door into the wall that went outside to the back yard almost inline with the clothes line

atm the laundry opens off into the side yard and i dont have a door going into the back yard

the catch

the laundry is currently coming off the kitchen
would this affect resale or would a tenant not like it?
personally it doesnt bother me but not alot of things do
my father is dead against it

the light black is whats there the red is what i propose
myhouse.jpg

I agree with Pop! It will devalue the property if you relocate the bathroom to where the laundry currently is (as well as decrease appeal for future buyers).

Could you reno the existing bathroom (lots of things you can do to make it appear larger and be much more functional) and then add an ensuite to bedroom 2 where the laundry shower currently is? Then the space that is left over leave as the laundry (now quite a bit smaller).

You could possibly even fit a door to the back area as well.

What will it cost to make these changes to your property? What is the current value of your property? What is the probable revalue of your property after these renovations? If this is an investment property, do your numbers before deciding to go ahead.

Good luck BMan!

Is it feasible to do a small extension and bump the bathroom out a bit? Even a 1m or 1.5m extra, enough to add a toilet and shower.

I'm with your dad, the bathroom SHOULD be as close to the bedrooms as possible.

Could you put a back door between the toilet door and the kitchen (where the 1.1 measurment figure is)?
Marg

I also agree about bathroom being near bedrooms ... and council are very strict about bathrooms being off kitchens (not allowed without airlock) ... I also agree about trying to turn part of the current laundry into an ensuite off bed2. That would definately increase the value and it then doesn't matter that the other bathroom is smaller. Can then just have shower, toilet and vanity in bathroom - and put a bath in ensuite.

We once had a place where we were forced to put the bathroom where you describe.

It was a bit of a pain having people walk through the kitchen on the way to the bathroom and dunny all of the time especially dressed only in towels (tricky for privacy if you have visitors) and invariably it made the floor in the kitchen wet at times. I wouldn't recommend it if you could help it and reckon the ensuite and bump the original bathroom out ideas to be the best if you can manage them.

That said we never had any problems renting, but the house was aimed at the lower end of the market.

I'd..

I'd be tempted to turn the lounge into the master bed, and turn bed 2 into the lounge (take out the builtins and maybe the wall between the bedroom and the hallway.)

Then move the door to the laundry from the kitchen to the new lounge area.

Obviously this has some draw backs, you'd have to check the structure to make sure you can remove the wall etc, and your moving the lounge to the middle of the house whereas it was separated out before, brings the noise in. etc.

Where's the dining?? You could really open it up and take out the wall between the new lounge and kitchen to fit some dining space in there too. (You might need to redo the kitchen as a galley to make enough space.)

Just brainstorming here...

thanks
its not worth doing if i have to remove walls
the walls are all solid stone and id assume most are structural by the looks in the ceiling
its a cheap house so ill be over capitalizing

its an old housing trust home so but well but everything is small
theres isnt actually a dining area as such, when i bought it the table and chairs were in the middle of the kitchen, i just have a small table and chairs in the lounge room

sorry i didnt draw it in there currently is a door in that 1.1 area

there is an airlock of sorts between kitchen and toilet/laundry

if it was built of something other than stone extending on would be alot easier

Back