Swimming pool refurb - retrofitting lights, epoxy paint, spots

We have an empty swimming pool, having just cleaned up after the flood. (Tip: 25 kilos of cane toad tadpoles going off really stinks! :eek:)

1) Lights

We'd really like to install lights in our swimming pool, but hubby's not keen on the idea of drilling holes in the skin. We figure it's water-tight right now, and we'd rather keep it that way! (It's empty this week; we just cleaned up after the flood last weekend.)

Hubby found these nifty lights, which you wire through the existing ducts used for the water filtering system, and the lights attach around the nozzles (not blocking them off; they remain functioning).
E1-12-W-3-unlit-email.jpg
Has anybody used these lights, or have an informed opinion about them?

2) Epoxy paint

Also, hubby's acid washed and pressure cleaned the pool; it's pretty much bare concrete and long overdue for re-coating. After a bit of online research, he's planning to epoxy paint it himself. Any thoughts on the wisdom or otherwise of doing this? (We have comprehensive instructions and will follow them, just looking for whether it's easy/difficult to achieve a good finish, or best left to professionals.)

3) Spots

17112009001-1.jpg

Does anybody know what these are? I'm assuming their calcium spots; they do look a bit like tiny coral formations. They're all shaped like this, looking like they're dripping vertically, and they're a little raised from the surface (perhaps a few mm) and very hard. If so, I've read that the way to remove them is wash with acid, then attack with pumice stone. They're not that big that I care about them aesthetically; does anybody know if there would be any potential problems with just epoxy painting over the top of them? We'd like to reduce the workload a bit, but not if it's going to create further dramas down the track.

is your pool salt water or fresh water?
are they all above water line?
i wouldn't paint over them, as the paint might peel off later on at some stage.
but then i'm not a pool painter so might be wrong :D

would the spots be rust from the steel??? if they are slightly raised,

I have seen some glow in the dark tiles , very expensive , but compared to drilling lights in ,
Two part paint is one of the options i had in mind ,as i am building our concrete pool at the moment, my other options are , full tiles, as i tile very well, and peble crete finnish, at first i did'nt like the idea of those brown looking little pebles, but as i find out more , there are options on other colors, like quartz, and a black one too! but i am not at that stage yet, i will place the last 6 lengths of reo, and then the ply formwork on the top edge, it will be shot creted, after i place in the lights and water blade. slow but exciting for us as we have had the hole in the yard for about two years, :rolleyes:

is your pool salt water or fresh water?
are they all above water line?
The pool is chlorinated, and these marks are below the water line. They're quite tiny, only about 2-3mm across.

craigb - I don't know! I assumed rust marks would be "rust coloured" ;) - but perhaps I'm mistaken. How do I find out? That's exactly the kind of information I'm seeking.

battler, that looks like a great product, but we don't have any existing light cabling and don't want to drill holes/channels, so not an option for us.

vast majority of pools are chlorinated, question is whether you use salt water chlorinator, or dispensable forms of chlorine :)

to find out whether it's rust or not you can take a vitamin c tablet and rub it into this spot. if it's rust it will come off easily.

vast majority of pools are chlorinated, question is whether you use salt water chlorinator, or dispensable forms of chlorine :)
Touché! It's "fresh water", then, I suppose - though I've never heard of it referred to in such manner, and I don't see how a body of water sitting for years and years can be called "fresh", but... anyway. It's not a salt water pool - how's that? :D
Strannik said:
to find out whether it's rust or not you can take a vitamin c tablet and rub it into this spot. if it's rust it will come off easily.
Can I still eat the vitamin C tablet afterwards? :p

Thanks for the tip.

fresh water is a definition used for water which has salt content below certain threshold, as opposed to salt water :)

what you are talking about is called stale water :p

Touché! It's "fresh water", then, I suppose - though I've never heard of it referred to in such manner, and I don't see how a body of water sitting for years and years can be called "fresh", but... anyway. It's not a salt water pool - how's that? :D

Can I still eat the vitamin C tablet afterwards? :p

Thanks for the tip.

No because it would be an iron tablet then, ? lol:D

Back