SYD: cheaper housing commision area's out west

If you guys like Mt Druitt, great, but it's not for everyone. Good on you, no need to come on here with a chip on your shoulder about it.

I grew up in the western suburbs of Sydney (i'm no blow in) and know the area from Parra to Penrith very well. btw: I went to the same high school that John Ibrahim went to. Can anyone guess?

I do admit there are high income earners in the west, but just not as many of them. Thats why the average income is lower than say, closer to the city.

it's only 400-500mm off the side fence however so it's unlikely I could turn that in to a council compliant granny flat (though I guess I could be cheeky and do it on the sly :D ).

make sure you know the risks here, as others have posted here how they have stuffed themselves up badly once the council found out.

make sure you know the risks here, as others have posted here how they have stuffed themselves up badly once the council found out.

Thanks Peter, I had a bit of a discussion with Dad last night who advised against this. His simple answer was "Why be greedy? Why not wait until you can do it right... Minimise your risk."

I swear, these older people just might know a thing or two after all! :p :D

Further to the discussion surrounding 2770 and nearby areas:

I've been doing more browsing of the web and have come across a few properties listed that interest me a bit. I'll probably compile a small list of addresses and go for a drive tonight to have a squiz.

The properties listed below:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-hebersham-107074082
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+st+marys-107074068
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+st+marys-107074049
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-dharruk-107074048
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+st+marys-107074047
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+st+marys-107073991

Are all being auctioned off at the same time/venue and most of the photos are taken without furniture in the house? Does this mean they could be possible foreclosures (or whatever the correct term is)?

I'd be interested to see what price range they all go for (feel free to weigh in with educated guesses) as they all look like they could easily have a GF thrown up out the back and possibly given a quick cosmetic reno...

You will find that they are all being sold by the Housing Commission. If you go to the Richardson & Wrench site you will find that they have a fair few that are to bought by owner occupiers only.

The auctions are interesting. You get varying results depending on who is bidding on the day. Go and have a look at them.

You will find that they are all being sold by the Housing Commission. If you go to the Richardson & Wrench site you will find that they have a fair few that are to bought by owner occupiers only.

The auctions are interesting. You get varying results depending on who is bidding on the day. Go and have a look at them.

If they are being sold as owner occupier, does that mean that there is a clause in the purchasing contract that I must live in the property for a designated amount of time before I'm able to rent it?

If they are being sold as owner occupier, does that mean that there is a clause in the purchasing contract that I must live in the property for a designated amount of time before I'm able to rent it?

Yes! But it will say on the advertising material if they are the owner occupier ones or not.

Noticed that house prices were stagnat for most of last year?

Media reports state that prices havnt moved much from 1st quarter last year due to interest rate rises. sydney however appears to be one city in Australia were a slight increase in prices were recorded.

Personal savings have incresed as people hold onto their money.

A further tightening of the rental market expected

With more interest rate rises forecast this year, I dont expect too much out of the property market in the foreseeable future.

Usually R &W will state in the internet ad that it is for owner-occupation only, so maybe these ones are open to investment purchases. If there isn't much competition on the night you could end up with a well-priced property. I've taken my cheque book along to a few of their auctions just in case there's been a lack of interest on any of them.

If there isn't much competition on the night you could end up with a well-priced property. I've taken my cheque book along to a few of their auctions just in case there's been a lack of interest on any of them.

Absolutely! It certainly pays to bide your time. We've walked away from many auctions without bidding, due to too much interest, and bought at others only because we were the only ones bidding and a low reserve. The catch is, that you have to go to many auctions with the intention of purchasing in order to snag that bargain.

love that they took a second picture of the kitchen, about 20cm closer than the first, in case people might have thought all the cupboards werent trashed :)

nice backyard

An addition to the thread:

My car doesn't have A/C so driving in this heat can be pretty unpleasant and I avoid it when possible.

nearmap.com is like googlemaps but with higher resolution, meaning I can see if the next door neighbours yard is full of junk and burnt out cars etc. Only thing I have to check is how up-to-date the photos are.

It's not perfect but it's one solution.

Something I saw which interests me, may interest you guys as well.

Two properties, side by side, both with considerable land parcels (Approx 1000m2):

28 Paull
- Listed as going to Auction.
30 Paull
- I requested a price from the agent for this one, he stated 350-375k.
Google Maps View of the blocks.

Looks like there'd be decent development potential with those two lots combined, what do you all think?

I'm not in a position to develop but I'm using this thread as a bit of practice, trying to post things that look like good deal / interesting too me and then get all of your opinions! Hopefully that will help hone my 'property nose' when it comes time to find my deal.

good researching Television. I'd then go to the council website to look at zoning rules in that street, or if you can't find them, call a town planner at the council. Just because the blocks are available next door to each other doesn't automatically mean you can do a multi - villa/apartment block there.

good researching Television. I'd then go to the council website to look at zoning rules in that street, or if you can't find them, call a town planner at the council. Just because the blocks are available next door to each other doesn't automatically mean you can do a multi - villa/apartment block there.

Bah Humbug! I'll bulldoze the fence, raze the houses and tear out all the trees. I'll make a 2000m2 slab and drop a 10 storey apartment complex! Bwahahaha... :D

And back in the real world, I'll get right on that research.

Houses belong to Blacktown City Council:
Zoning = 2(a) Residential.
Medium Density development is allowed in this zone, but not high density. (sourced from Blacktown LEP / DCP)

I reckon you could fit a fair few townhouses/villas on that bad boy. I still haven't driven out to the street (work's a bit hectic) so can't comment on that aspect.

Just noticed re.com.au was stating Mt Druitt's median as $435k. Doesn't quite sound right :D

Mt Druitt itself does not have the Housing Commission properties. They are located in adjoining suburbs. If it is referring to adjoining areas as well, then remember that you have Minchinbury, Erskine Park, St Clair, Rooty Hill, Plumpton etc as well. All those suburbs have some pricey properties, and you only need one or two sales of these to skew the median upwards for the month.

Just noticed re.com.au was stating Mt Druitt's median as $435k. Doesn't quite sound right :D

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that statistic

For my suburb it infers by the graph that there has been 15% growth in unit prices since October 2010. That's because there were 2 or 3 high end waterview properties sold in that time which effectively has skewed the result. If you take those out of the equation then it would be pretty flat

Back