Taking off old kitchen- how to?

can anyone point me as to how to take an old kitchen off the wall?

are there any screws etc at the back somewhere- had a quick look and couldnt see any?

Looked on youtube etc and most ppl have videos of smashing the older ones off.

Wouldnt mind smashing the old one but dont want to damage the plaster at the back?

thanks for any advice.

Can you post a pic?

Often there will be a plastic plug covering the screws and sometimes they're only screwed to each other, particularly in the instance over a range hood or fridge.

Sledge hammer.

Are you going to re-tile the splash back? Chances are when removing the old tiles you might rip some of the plaster board off anyway.

At least it's easy enough to nail some new board on.

Cheers

Jamie

Sledge hammer.

Are you going to re-tile the splash back? Chances are when removing the old tiles you might rip some of the plaster board off anyway.

At least it's easy enough to nail some new board on.

Cheers

Jamie

yeah, have to remove old tiles as well.

so you mean put a whole new plaster sheet on? is that how its done in such kitchen renos?

Last edited:
Damaged gyprock sheets are easily replaced and also cheap. Bunnings sells 1200 x 2400 sheets for $10.95 ea. Go to it with the sledge hammer and the wrecking bar.

Thanks Prop - thats CHEAP! didnt know that!

so just disconnect gas, water and electricity and go all out on them. Any other tips?

Getting a handyman (300 per day cash- recommended by some1) to do the tiling and looks like for putting the new sheets up (among other things). how much time difference does it make- putting new plaster boards vs carefully leaving old one intact (which would involve patching up I imagine?).

Last edited:
Any other tips?
Be good to your Mother :).

how much time difference does it make- putting new plaster boards vs carefully leaving old one intact (which would involve patching up I imagine?).
Look it is not always a matter of being careful Vs being gung-ho with a sledge hammer.

If you remove tiles very carefully (OK I use a sharp bladed shovel), if the tile glue hangs on really well, you are going to damage the plaster - so don't get too precious with being careful and don't get too smash happy with the sledge hammer either.;)

If you bought a unit or town house the internal walls may be brick!!!! I don't know why people go the sledgehammer way (as seen on TV) because you still need to remove the bits stuck to the wall - screws. I have dismantled one kitchen by unscrewing all doors and framing, another by using a hammer to knock apart components added over the years which made it as solid as a brick ***** house, but still had to remove the frame screws when I got down to the final bits. It is very easy and clean with a drill and screwdriver bit to undo everything. Play it by ear - if gyprock and tiles are hard to get off without damaging - play rough and replace some of the gyprock. I had never done any gyprocking prior to my second kitchen which was internal gyprock - even had to open up wall for electrics and to add a stud and noggin to screw cupboards to!

Back