Tenant in denial?

Fleas musn't have been hungry today as I didn't get bitten. There would not be a square foot inside the house which isn't littered with rubbish. I went to the supermarket and bought big buckets, 20 big garbages bags, cleaners, sponges, scourers, map and every grime remover known to man. Sugarsoap was on special so I got two.

When my son asked should we stock up on food to take with us while cleaning the house tomorrow, I just couldn't imagine eating anything in that house until I have given it a jolly good clean and disinfect. I also am armed with flea spray which is also supposed to kill eggs. Normally I hate poisons but this one says you can spray it on a dog so it can't be too nasty.

I have kept my supermarket docket so I can tax deduct the materials required for cleaning my rental property for a new tenant.

Fleas musn't have been hungry today as I didn't get bitten. There would not be a square foot inside the house which isn't littered with rubbish. I went to the supermarket and bought big buckets, 20 big garbages bags, cleaners, sponges, scourers, mop and every grime remover known to man. Sugarsoap was on special so I got two.

When my son asked should we stock up on food to take with us while cleaning the house tomorrow, I just couldn't imagine eating anything in that house until I have given it a jolly good clean and disinfect. I also am armed with flea spray which is also supposed to kill eggs. Normally I hate poisons but this one says you can spray it on a dog so it can't be too nasty.

I have kept my supermarket docket so I can tax deduct the materials required for cleaning my rental property for a new tenant.

Its so disheartening to hear stories like this. We all must get bad tenants at some stage, some worse than others.

Ive just had a small hicup with my first tenant, which got resolved quite easily. Tenant list their job and just had no money to leave. Send a couple of notices and they finally left.

Apart from dirty carpet and loss of some rent it wasnt too bad (will be claiming loss of rent from LL's insurance).

What fired me up was when the agent told me the tenant had a dog in the unit!!!!

Glad they were caught & punnished. IMHO, way too many not only don't get caught, they don't get punnished when they are caught.

They don't only not get punished, they get rewarded. Provided emergency housing because the greedy landlord kicked them out on the street and they have no where else to go.

Not paying rent is equivalent to stealing, and persons who do this should be charged with an offence. Repeat offenders should be given community service and those who intentionally damage properties given gaol time and ordered to pay damages.

Regards

Andrew

Glad to hear it has worked out and your freeloaders are gone. I have never had a bad tenant yet (knock on wood) and I think that your experience would have made me seriously consider burning the house down with them still inside!

Brenda, it might be worth a few dollars to subscribe to TICA and list them on there so they never get private housing again.

There would not be a square foot inside the house which isn't littered with rubbish. I went to the supermarket and bought big buckets, 20 big garbages bags, cleaners, sponges, scourers, mop and every grime remover known to man. Sugarsoap was on special so I got two.

I presume Brenda that you did not deliver the house in that dreadful state state to the tenants....but they thought it quite normal and proper to deliver it to you in a shocking state.

Seeing as though you are bringing it back up to scratch again (this isn't fair wear and tear by the sounds of it....more like the 'saw tooth' cycle as I call it, where the Landlord delivers it in tip top condition, then it slowly or quickly goes downhill and then the Landlord sharply brings it up to scratch again for the next one to slide on down again), I presume you are expecting to have to repeat the process after the next tenant.

Do you think anybody at all would be interested in renting your asset off you if you chose to present it to potential tenants as your tenant presented it to you ??

IMO, you and Les are good useful members of society and a shining light to the "kick back, relax and take it easy" brigade, so prevalent nowadays.....moreover - you both richly deserve the wealth you create by doing so.

This is exactly what my wife would have done, and literally been forced to do, if we had of kept buying these types of assets.

Happy shovelling / raking / mopping / scrubbing / picking up. Let us know what was going through your mind whilst performing these tasks, cleaning up after some child. Usually I think of shares, dividends and people who invest in other assets who - whilst I am scrubbing and sweating, are sitting there with their feet up sipping on a double decaf and reading the paper.

I don't mind as much as long as I'm making more money than them, but if they have chosen asset selection wisely and are making more money than me whilst doing that.....it gets on my goat.

Its so disheartening to hear stories like this...

Absolutely. What gives these people the right to behave like this. Sometimes I think they all would be better off living in public housing (provided by the hard working folk of course), and then they can enjoy living happily ever after with other like minded people. They obviously have no respect for private property and the rights of others.

I hope it all ends well,

Phil.

My PM has advised the tenant will be listed on tica.
The neighbour told me today the police know the address off by heart.
Why the previous 2 PM's kept this quiet to me I have no idea.
The rubbish is unbelievable, especially since there were supposed to be 5 children, the youngest 1yr, living in this filth.
There is not a square foot of floor anywhere which did not have rubbish.
I have spent the whole day just filling 20 x 75ltr garbage bags with it, and I still have one bedroom to go.

The kitchen cupboard doors, once had nice solid pine doors but they have been macheted to pieces. One door still had a 15cm solid splinter of wood sticking straight up and was covered with plastic bags. Beyond the cupboard was the toddlers little toy car. That child could have died had it have fallen on that splinter of wood sticking up like a spear. I still shudder at the thought of it.

There is mouse nests and poop from one end of the house, thick, to the other. It is on kitchen benches with food, on the floors with the childs toothbrush amongst it all. I cannot explain how bad it was. Fortunately there are no mice that I have found, because as the child told the neighbour, they got a cat to eat the mice. The kitty litter in the kitchen is evidence of the cat and the lack of mice shows it must have eaten them. But why not clean the droppings off the food bench at least!

There were umpteen empty nebuliser bottles as evidence the children are having breathing difficulties. The house is littered in every room with tossed on the floor cigarette roll your owns. Well at least I think thats what they were, as I didn't look too closely. In the bedroom there were numerous clubs and bats, including one under the childs playpen mattress. There was a homemade bong on the floor in the same room.

According to the neighbour one of the tenants was stabbed and has been treated. Numerous dressing materials on the floor and a scalpel and syringe would appear to confirm.

How do ppl live like this? They have not paid $1 rent for 12 weeks yet they cannot look after their children or clean anything? How much does a disinfectant bottle and mop cost?

I am really angry with these irresponsible parents and get the feeling if there were no baby bonus nor child endowment payments, these children would be dumped in a childcare facility like hot cakes and heathwise, they could be better off.

I feel really sad for these kids and hope somewhere, sometime, the silly parents wake up to themselves and love and nurture them in a safe, clean environment.

Tomorrow I will be taking, Ruby the renovator dog with me so if Les ducks up to the hardware or anything I will not be left alone. The tenants have moved in with neighbours up the same street. :eek:

I feel really sad for these kids and hope somewhere, sometime, the silly parents wake up to themselves and love and nurture them in a safe, clean environment.

Me too. If you want to kill yourself / live like that fine.. but what gives you thr right to put others in a situation like that... worse, these pple would say "what?!, what are you talking about?"

I don't know what the solution is though, it is unfortunatley nothing new

A neighbour had a friend over recently with a toddler less than 2 years old.. mum was sitting talking or something, todler climbed up on a bigger kids bike, fell off & started crying for mum... "WELL DON'T BLOODY CLIMB UP ON BIKES THEN !" screamed her mother at the kid, getting up slowly to help her. how can you be so irrespinsible as to let her ! are you really that stupid that you think she did it on purppose when she knew better ?!

Last edited:
I am really angry with these irresponsible parents and get the feeling if there were no baby bonus nor child endowment payments, these children would be dumped in a childcare facility like hot cakes and heathwise, they could be better off.

Sadly, you are right. Most kids in these situations would either a) been terminated, or b) adopted out. DOCS leave the kids in these places way too long & the kids grow up to be more of the same.

Don't expect the parents to start caring anytime soon either. As the child grows they will be home less often, wandering the streets & getting into all manner of mischief.

I really believe there are tons of kids in this country, living in inappropriate homes. Many of these homes are known to authorities, yet they do nothing to remove the children. Then there are the many households that can provide a loving environment for children, but cannot have them. It is virtually impossible to adopt in Australia. Why is that? Not because of lack of children, but rather lack of enforced removal from inappropriate parentage.

I really believe there are tons of kids in this country, living in inappropriate homes.........It is virtually impossible to adopt in Australia. Why is that? Not because of lack of children, but rather lack of enforced removal from inappropriate parentage.

Any less than in other 'developed' countries ?

Brenda thanks for sharing a story like that, no amount of increased yield would ever get me to encounter the blood and syringe scenario, that was one of my thoughts about what would scare me clearing up a place like that just before I read it in your post.

It might be time in the economic cycle (good times still here) to consider distancing yourself completely from the section of the market that would expose you to these people. Complete failure of your PM'(s) is another huge issue to consider.

I've felt like I would die if I had to visit a Bunning's or Ikea one more time while renovating but never been exposed to something really serious like your clean up, ouch.

Fortunately the house is walk to Bunnings so thats handy. We have cleared all the rubbish out and washed the floors and are in the middle of doing walls and ceilings. Some is beyond Sugarsoap and we have resorted to bleach, then sugarsoap. It is coming up quite clean.
At this stage, rather than reno ourselves, we are considering offering it as a cheap house with reno prospects. It needs new kitchen, new kitchen lino, new bathroom, repainting, but it is very liveable for someone with limited funds who just wants to repair over time.
By the way, I do have a pictorial record before cleanup as does my PM who I think is reporting it to relevant authorities. Here is one pic showing mouse droppings which were on all floors, benches and even the tops of blinds.
IMG_2649.jpg

Damn...thats nasty
It a wonder these kide are still alive...
parents need a bullet,:mad:
Even further still, they should'nt be allowed to have children in the first place.

Save any letters, bills etc and they threw out (that should be easy) and notify all their creditors they have been evicted. This person may not be able to get another property so easy next time.

To recycle a phrase that a particular friend of mine had 20 years ago: "grossy gross gross!" :eek: Please do ensure that child safety as well as tenant registries and creditors are notified.

Trying to keep costs down on this reno but hubby suggests how about a nice new toilet? Yeah, $450, right. I went down to bunnings, got a new seat for $6 (on special) and fitted it myself. :rolleyes:

I almost forgot; we have no electicity. Someone, not naming anyone, has tresspassed overnight and taken all the fuses out of the fuse box. :(

Back