Tenant Selection - Kids and pets

Would you rent your house to a stable family with good income and outside only pets?

• No - Definately not

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • No - For my neat properties, Yes for my untidy properties

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Maybe - If they had the best application

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes - Only if they offered an incentive like paying 1 month in advance or higher rent

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Yes - As long as their application is good, decent people, secure job

Votes: 43 55.1%
  • Yes - Having pets and kids (laws aside) is not an issue at all for me

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would. As long as their references check out for their previous rental property confirming that they left it clean and tidy, I wouldn't have a problem. I would still prefer the couple with no kids or pets over the family with kids and pets but if that's all you have apply for the property and they check out OK then personally, I think that's fine. My property manager usually writes up a pet lease and sets some rules such as that their pets stay outside and that they get the carpets cleaned when leaving.

Most of my IPs had or have families and pets. Touching wood, but haven't had a problem with the tenants, but problematic PM's are a different story...

Sunshine

Would you rent your houses to a stable family with good income and pets?

may as well - beats an unstable family with pets (just went thru one of them. have left the house sitting empty for 4 months whilst I consider what to do. Resi yields are so low and tenats so painful that I am indifferent these days about whether places are tennated or not.

There are some simple caveats to this; have a good PM, do the right reference checks and have landlord’s insurance. One big positive for having tenants with kids is that they tend to be less inclined to move around.

actually I just remembered the other tenant I had with kids before the ones that got divorced and skipped the rent after trashing it (whilst having the gall to come back a couple of weeks later to take the gas bottle, letterbox and a few items from the shed)...

yes it was a brand new 4x2, tenants needed somewhere to live whilst they built a new house. at the end of 12 months the paintwork was trashed, required a $5k repaint. I would love to go to their new build and see if they wrecked their own property in this way

I agree with what Buying Freedom has said. If they are the strongest applicants then I wouldn't have a problem with them. If on the other hand there was also a couple by themselves who looked just as strong, then they would get preference.

Plus don't forget, tenants can always get pets after they've moved in.;)

Tenants can always get kids after they move in :)

Or just not mention the pets. I would rather have tenant be unfront about their situation then lie to me about it.

I prefer tenants with pets, rather than kids.
Never had a dog yet draw on the walls with crayons.

We just rented a unit to a family with 4 kids and a dog in a 2 bedroom apartment.They want a 3 bedroom when one comes available. We are in the middle of renovating the units, so will probably do theirs later.
They are just thrilled to be in a nonsmoking building.

They have good jobs, own a house they can't move into yet, as there is a tenant, who they must give proper notice.

Ubfortunately, having a good job doesn't mean they will be good tenants.It does mean they have income to claim though, should things go wrong.

actually I just remembered the other tenant I had with kids before the ones that got divorced and skipped the rent after trashing it (whilst having the gall to come back a couple of weeks later to take the gas bottle, letterbox and a few items from the shed)...

yes it was a brand new 4x2, tenants needed somewhere to live whilst they built a new house. at the end of 12 months the paintwork was trashed, required a $5k repaint. I would love to go to their new build and see if they wrecked their own property in this way

sounds like the only way to totally safeguard yourself from that would be to not rent out resi property from anyone -chance of it happening to you then: 0

surely you weren;t naiive enough to think it couldn't happen ? we know.

Resi tenants can do trash properties etc...

Not quite sure what you were tyring to show besides "its happened to me" ? Were you trying to alert us to the fact that resi tenants are not perfect ?

All of our places have a no pets policy (after one tenant spoiled it for all with a horse, It's not a pet its livestock:rolleyes:) But as so many applicants have dogs, it reduces our numbers a bit to say no, so it's negotiable if everything else stacks up.

They have to sort their own back fences.

Dave

Would you rent your houses to a stable family with good income and pets?

Absolutely.

From my experience, the good tenants and the bad tenants can be all of the above.

I had cause to visit one of our units a few weeks ago - rented to a single guy about 26 years old. never met him until this day.

Turns out he's been through a relationship break up and is very lonely.

He had a cat there - we hadn't been told about it.

I said nothing and let it go. He is a very nice young man and taking exceptional care of the property and the cat is probably keeping him happy.

Our policy is to allow pets anyway, but it's nice to know if they have them there.

Being a renter a few yrs ago ourself with one cat was hard to be approved, though we have always been good tenents and lookd after the place like it was our own.

When it came time to save for a house, we went for something cheap and nasty, couldn't get a until with a cat, had to go for a house, which was the cheapest around, definately nasty house, great incentive to save and buy.

I think allowing pets, upon application, you have more people being able to apply for your IP.
In saying that i haven't had a placed trashed by pets, but have just finished cleaning up one, that we bought as an IP, already trashed by pets.
Smelt so bad, trouble getting my 5 yr old in the house. :eek::p

Resi tenants can do trash properties etc...

Not quite sure what you were tyring to show besides "its happened to me" ? Were you trying to alert us to the fact that resi tenants are not perfect ?

it's sort of what I was doing, but was trying to go further. If they were close to perfect I would be happy (IF they would pay a fair yield) -however resi tenants are far from perfect. if you have a single person in your house then you have 1 problem, a couple creates 2 problems plus all the excitement of their relationship boundaries that you will inevitably get drawn into. Bring kids and pets into the mix and it's chaos theory

I allow pets and kids, got to rent these houses to someone. As you say - I am not naive to expect a trashing or rent skip or such drama won't happen and actually expect it will happen. I find the smaller units I have tend to attract less moron factor but it's still there in about 25% of cases.

yeah, I guess "it is what it is"...

But then isn't everything in this entire world ??

Name one thing that "isn't what it is". To me that is such a dismissive moronic saying - cos it says nothing. Bit like - "whichever way the wind blows".

some tenants trash properties, yeah we know.

I think we are getting side tracked on the trashing thing too much. I could go on all day about the other issues but no one on a resi IP forum wants to hear it, so I agree, happy families with happy pets are an integral part of our society - all landlords dipping into their pockets to make this happen should be congratulated not scorned (as they are constantly in the media)

Back