tenants upset over valuers

Hi all,

I have some excellent tenants in the Western Sydney area who are vacating due to repeated requests from valuers to gain access to property. In this current slow rental market, I am considering offering them 1 weeks free rent for them to stay on as a token of my appreciation and apology for the inconveniences caused....this would be the cost to to advertise and get a new tenant anyway...

Is this something that you would do or would you just bite the bullet and hope for some good long term tenants within the 3 week period to come along? Danger is the tenants might take advantage in the future assuming I'm a soft landlord :D

Thanks

Simon

2 requests in 3 months.....aside from this there have been a few maintenance problems....

usually i'd have no hesitations in getting rid of them but from a purely unemotional standpoint, it might make sense in this current market....

A letting fee would be about 1.5 weeks rent, plus the cost of advertising, plus the cost of a vacancy...

From a purely financial point of view it might be worthwhile giving a week or rent.

2 requests in 3 months.....aside from this there have been a few maintenance problems....

usually i'd have no hesitations in getting rid of them but from a purely unemotional standpoint, it might make sense in this current market....

It might not only be the inconvenience of the valuers coming through... it might be their perception that you're trying to see what its worth in order to sell it, which would be a major inconvenience for them.

2 isnt alot. Just apologise and say thats all for the next x years.

2 isnt alot. Just apologise and say thats all for the next x years.

Its not a lot, but its 1 more than is required under the NSW RTA. Of course the tenant can agree to access more than once, but they are only required to give access once per 12 months for valuation purposes.

Sounds like they think its about to be sold.

it might be their perception that you're trying to see what its worth in order to sell it, which would be a major inconvenience for them.
Yep - I reckon it could be this.

If you're not going to sell - let the PM know....and tell them to pass the message onto the tenants. That might provide them with some reassurance.

Personally, I wouldn't be offering any free rental period. It sets a precedence.

Cheers

Jamie

I can understand their concern, most tenants have been kicked out before and get very nervous when unusual things start happening.

Maybe you can assure them you are not selling and just buy them a thank you present, flowers, chocolates etc maybe a days rents worth.

Giving them a week rent free is a too much IMO

^^ I had a valuer and depreciation schedule done on a property a while ago where they were supposed to be done at the same time. Valuer ran late and so the tenant had 2 visits instead of one. They had a grumble to the agent about it.

A week later I went to do some maintenance they had reported, grabbed a box of cadbury favourites on the way, said sorry for the double visit here you go. Tenant was happy and they are now my best tenant.

Do they need to stay home to give access to valuers? As a tenant, having two "I need to be at home" events within 3 months will at least raise my eyebrow.

I had similar experience with a PM that request 4 inspection access within 3 months, where she missed ALL of them, all for personal reason - she forgot since it was Sunday and she's watching football when we called her, she need to attend her son's football match, she's sick, and the last one, no news.

Long story short, we break the lease for obstruction of peace and quiet enjoyment of the property - because we need to be home, because hey, they apparently don't have key to the apartment.

End of rant.

so they are vacating on the basis that if you do decide to sell then there is a chance that they will be inconvenienced by being forced to leave,

but yet they decide to leave anyway?

Oxymoron/Contradiction?

so they are vacating on the basis that if you do decide to sell then there is a chance that they will be inconvenienced by being forced to leave,

but yet they decide to leave anyway?

Oxymoron/Contradiction?

Not really, haha. Knowing exactly when they need to move is a lot better than being in the limbo of probably

I have some excellent tenants in the Western Sydney area who are vacating due to repeated requests from valuers to gain access to property.

Have you checked to see whether they can leave because of having two visits rather than one from a valuer?

Are they "trying one on" or do they have a legitimate right to break their lease over this seemingly trivial matter?

Have you checked to see whether they can leave because of having two visits rather than one from a valuer?

Are they "trying one on" or do they have a legitimate right to break their lease over this seemingly trivial matter?

Per the letter of the law, one access for valuation per 12 month period. Vacating due to a second visit is a bit extreme on the surface of it, unless there are other factors at play eg cheaper rental options, buying house, job change etc

Per the letter of the law, one access for valuation per 12 month period. Vacating due to a second visit is a bit extreme on the surface of it, unless there are other factors at play eg cheaper rental options, buying house, job change etc

I'm just wondering if the second visit is enough to warrant getting out of a lease. It seems a bit extreme.

I am not sure whether it would be substantial enough to stand up at a CTTT hearing as the sole reason. I would hope not. It would be claimed as disruption as peaceful enjoyment of rented premises.

Haha I remember the fear well of living in a share house at uni and at 3 different properties we had at least 3 values come over the space of a month. Of course all the housemates started to **** themselves that we were going to be given 2 weeks notice to get out! I'm sure All they want is reassurance and maybe a new dishwasher...

Sounds like there is another issue here with the tenant that has nothing to do with the 2 visits. They are just using that as an excuse to try and break lease.

I wouldn't go offering anything free until you find out what the truth is.

Otherwise they will just take a weeks free rent then leave it a month and go for break lease again.

Once you find the truth a resolution will be available.

Back