Tennats ignoring phonecalls/rent

Here are the photos i've taken with my N95 hope its ok.... that dude just uprooted and left i think i'll have to sort advice from insurance company.

-cracked window - Replaced for about $150 - shop around don't use big firms
-new vinal floor has all been ripped up, - Hopefully you can find some vinyl tiles that are a close match. Otherwise go for a contrast making it a feature $20
-poored something in the bathtub ate away ceramics - going to have to leave the tub installed. Looks like water has been left to run hence the bluish green line. The rest of the stain could be from the pot plants. Bleach may remove the pot plant stain. we have been able to remove the bluey colour with descaler.
-Holes everywhere in main bedroom walls, floors, ceilings and outside house - are all the sections he cut ot still there? If so you can use these pieces as the basis for patches. The ceiling ones are easy, use a bit of wood as backing and screw through the plaster attaching to the wood, Wood is a bit bigger than hole. Pop in the hole ensure all level then screw the wood through the ceiling on the outside of the hole. Plaster the rim of the hole and when set remove the screws and plaster some more. Similar process for the floor but in this case attach wood under floor first on all side of hole and at least one piece straight across. These pieces of wood will need to be securely enough attach to be able to suppost someone walking on the resulting patch. Ones all underfloor wood attached you can then attach cut out. A bit if builders bog around the rimn should then blend it to the floor.
-paint scratched
-lawn not looked after, roses are dead and the back is basically a mess which i havent been bothered to take picture yet.
-i guess all the locks needs to be changed now that he still has set of keys..
grrr just went out made new keys for tenant too...
-i hope they havent damaged any air con copper pipes in the roof as i've only had brand new fujitsu air con put in costed me 2 grand.......

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/AETUDE/phone/

Those holes in the outer wall can be fixed by removing the panel (watch out asbestos) and replacing with a new section.

I wouldn't worry about the garden or the trim paint work and get it leased out asap (please use a PM as things will work out better)

Good luck

Bummer:mad:

Another way of doing floors.

The floors look like they are 6 inch pine?
Maybe just take out and replace those two boards that are affected. If you look elsewhere on the floor you will see that there are butt joints ending on floor joists.

If not floorboards, maybe scarf the new bits in as per picture attached.

Then get a manager and learn from this costly mistake.

Attachments

• zzxxzzxx.JPG
    zzxxzzxx.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 74
mate, i think you can tell that many of us older investors really feel for you. this is pretty lousy but treat it as a learning curve and it will make you a better investor. the main deal is not to consider giving up.

bright side; as you are unemployed, you have time to do this stuff yourself, and that means that you gain skills. if you are unsure how to do it, google it or better yet, go to utube and type in 'how to ...whatever you need to do.' they often have videos of how to do things that you can watch over and over till you get the idea.

don't worry that your finish may not be fab, your goal is to get the place rented out again. you only have to get it to a reasonable standard.

with the bath; go to safeway, buy a bottle of $2 homebrand bleach (in a bottle that looks like domestos) and apply it straight. make sure all the marks are well covered. leave it for about half an hour and then scrub with a stiff brush. you may need to reapply. ventilate well though as not good to breathe. many stains just wash away after bleach applied.

one last word, i wouldn't be waiting until you have done the work to get in touch with agents about finding a tenant. get them going now as they don't jump to it straight away anyway.

y33; i thought the advice about dealing with the police was great. are you in the trade? that kind of insider info is invaluable as i would have assumed that that was that when they came and left, taking them at their word that there would be no report coming.

atti, this is one of the lows of property investing and coming so early in your career is unfortunate but you will get over it. when the highs come, they make up for these short clamitous events. (btw, be kind to your mum as she probably feels lousy about it all to!)

obviously not all dope growers pay their rent on time !

Shame that this has occured to you. But it is somethign you can get over & will definitley learn from ?

Give up ? over this 1 issue ? compared to everything else you've acheived ? Didn't think you would !

anyone knows of any tradie in adelaide ? i needa get some quotes..

its a lesson alright, too bad i have to learn it so early in my investing career...

while i am unemlpoyed, broken wrist, down and out, i actualy want to sell everything and travel the world and be a bum for few years backpacking... lol

i am going to write letter of complaint how i feel about police to superintedent of this district...

don't worry about it, it IS overwhelming when it happens. And while you have a broken wrist making you feel less able to do stuff..

But, you will get it fixed, you will get a new tenant in and you will get a feeling of "normality" again - soon !

You did nothing wrong...

Sure you could have chosen the perfect tenant instead of this one, but that could have happened to just about anyone !

Unfortunatley I am in Perth, so don't know of any tradies in Adelaide...

obviously not all dope growers pay their rent on time !

Shame that this has occured to you. But it is somethign you can get over & will definitley learn from ?

Give up ? over this 1 issue ? compared to everything else you've acheived ? Didn't think you would !

I bet he paid his rent on time until he took off - i bet he took off because Atti sent him an inspection notice.

Sorry to hear about your situation atti, after reading your first thead i was of the opinion that the tenant had shot though, hence my advice to go around and check his letterbox for old mail - look though the windows etc..

If you do decide to continue to self manage ensure that you have an understanding of the ACT, there are also many books that are available that will help you.

Good luck atti

next contract i will put in small print that a knife will be placed into your body if u decide to run and i catch u....

what else can i do, now my mom is having argument with me about other issues pfftt... time to go down the pub and get paralyzed.....

its a lesson alright, too bad i have to learn it so early in my investing career...

while i am unemlpoyed, broken wrist, down and out,...

Better to have the lessons early and get them over with, than later on with lots more dollars involved.

Are you unemployed due to the wrist? If so, hope you had income protection insurance (another lesson?)

Cheers,

The Y-man

no i had accident at work then got fired, and work compensation declined, on basic dole of 400 per fornight pfftt not even to cover interest on monthly repayments. living at home now my mum wants to kick me out LOL

FACK I want to kill something..... my tenants disapeared, police dont give a ****, i am behind in mortgage, i have 200 in savings... cant get any more bottom out then this well maybe if i sell the house it would help to "FLY AWAY"

would 18 tablets of panadene fort + cartons of beer do to get me paralyzed and maybe brain dead ???

wait a minute i've got packet of 20 Tramadols HCL 50mg caps + OxyNorm hydrochloride, + couple of cartons of beer and few packets of cigarette tonight will definately sent me over the moon.

i said i wanna get paralyzed, my wrist is farked the drugs will help me to sleep. :) we all know that kidneys and liver and cancer is part of life and an avoidable problem after 50, i dont plan to live that long :p so an early retirement at 35 sounds excellent even on 2 houses and few hundred grand cash.

would 18 tablets of panadene fort + cartons of beer do to get me paralyzed and maybe brain dead ???

Just throw all that crap in the bin,you are not the only one to hit the wall
every now and again,you can turn the property around in a few weeks
wall sheets 2400by 1200 costs less than 20 bucks,if you are just going
too complain about your problems then nothing will happen,have a few beers sleep, then get up in the morning and face the problems,after all if property investing was that easy everybody would be in the game,i go for a walk each morning and i don't have to walk too far to several people that are a lot worse then me,but they never complain they are just happy to wake up and then the good people come and help them..imho..
willair..

wow the end of your employment sounds like another disaster. I presume they did not sack you because you were injured?

It's times like this that sort out those that will succeed and that that will give up at the first hurdle.

i said i wanna get paralyzed, my wrist is farked the drugs will help me to sleep. :) we all know that kidneys and liver and cancer is part of life and an avoidable problem after 50, i dont plan to live that long :p so an early retirement at 35 sounds excellent even on 2 houses and few hundred grand cash.

chill out mate

and you are right, live & kidney cancer are AVOIDABLE

it's overwhelming, and probalby you haven't got too much help either, but, honestly, it is NOT AS BIG AS IT SEEMS not belittling your problems, but letting you see that you can fix these problems, won't cost you as much as you thought and the next tenant will go smoother

yeah i was fired because i was injured, and unfair dismissal claim was rejected i am like i have lost trust in everything.... i am going boonta over here i cant even do my shoelace properly... feeling so useless atm i even looked up laymans guide to sucide it was good read =] pills just wont do it,, dunno how heath ledger does it.... iam still sober as a duckie after all these pain killers...

mate forget the stupid pills, you need to talk to somebody like a mate over those beers.... offer mum a drink ?

Graisme,

Yes previously in more ways than one.

Atti,

Don't complain to the superintendent until you have everything sorted out first. Politely ask if there is anything else that can be done and follow the procedure I mentioned earlier. Far better to have them onside first.

Are you covered by insurance?

For what it is worth I had a similar situation on my very first IP. I actually received a call from the locals D's that they were going to break in the front door to get a guy out that was wanted for some heavy offences and was suspected of being armed. After discussing the lay out of the unit the go ahead was given. A bit of damage was done during the arrest procedure including ripping the security door off its hinges. Insurance eventually covered everything and it all got sorted out.

The next tenant that moved in is still there and a nice lovely old pensioner.

Back