Tens machine

Hi,

Does anyone have a home use TENS machine, are they effective long term ?

My wife has chronic pain and we are considering buying one of these from a bloke in the shopping mall. The product brand is Hidow and they do have an Aussie website and are approved by the government with a health care rebate so it seems legit.

It's even been on Today Tonight and ACA so must be good :)

Any comments from experience using these things please

I have used it as a performance enhancing aid. I put it on full power and the neighbours nearly called the police cause they thought I was killing someone lolol.

I use one.

It is no magic cure.

But it does work to an extent. The tingling feeling of the electric current apparently confuses the nervous system electrical impulses and helps with the pain messages to the brain.

If you are anywhere near Newcastle you'd be welcome to borrow mine for a while.

How much is the one you are looking at? They are pretty cheap these days and mine is about the size of a cigarette packet. I don't think the expensive ones do anything more than the cheaper ones. Mine was about $100 and been going now for near ten years. Just buy new sticky pads now and then.

Worth a try. Maybe you can rent one or borrow one from your pharmacy.

Hi,

Does anyone have a home use TENS machine, are they effective long term ?
The product brand is Hidow and they do have an Aussie website and are approved by the government with a health care rebate so it seems legit.
It's even been on Today Tonight and ACA so must be good :)

My wife who also has chronic back pain got one, similar to the XPV, from the Hidow website about 5 years ago when they were "advertising" on ACA but she hasn't used in in quite a while.

She thought it was OK but even with a her back pain her tolerance levels to the output of the TENS machine was quite low and she never seem to up the output levels but she did say it provided some relief but it wasn't the holy grail.

She got a receipt and claimed $200 back from the health fund but a the time they wanted a referral/recommendation from her Dr which wasn't an issue but now they have been around a while it may not be required. I am sure she paid just over $200 at the time so basically it was free.:D

Now I am going to have to find it just to see if it still works......................

I tried one for a few hours in a clinic once. Didn't do anything for me! I suffered on and off with lower back pain and spasms that would lock up my back when I tried to rise out of a chair. Terrible pain! Plus I was getting sciatic pain down my legs.
While trying to come up with something I could do myself to relieve the pain I decided to have a go at hanging from a beam. It worked! I ended up making a bracket from a 30 mm piece of pipe which I fixed to the beam on my veranda.

I grip it with my hands and hang from it with my feet about 50mm off the ground for about 25 seconds. Stretches me out! I haven't had a single episode for six months.

Very happy!

Wife used the tens during child birth and used it for #2 also, no gas or other assistance

I had a crack but just found it annoying (hit your thumb with a hammer to distract from your sore toe)

Dr Ho and his info-commercials swear by it though....I see it as distracting pain

Instead of tens, I found an IFAS machine was great. After doing an ankle in a work injury, I was able to walk straight after treatment whereas immediately before the treatment I was on crutches. However they are really hard to find or expensive (ballpark 6k to purchase)

I have a hidow and have been using it for a couple of months but have found no benefits at all as much as I want it to work.
I have purchased a cream called rapigel and this is the miracle that I have found to improve my life.
We first purchased it on the internet after hearing some stories but have now found the local saddlery stocks it.
It is used on horses but works a treat on humans.:D

I have one I use for chronic hip pain, also used it for childbirth. Great devices. Mine cost $25 on eBay several years ago.

Back