Thankyou Craig Thomson

Craig, our high moral ground crusader for a fair go and justice for all, thanks for bringing down Gillard's Labor Govt, which is now a given.

LOL, this guy is doing a great job.

I am going to be very disappointed when Abbott rolls home next election. Life will be so boring without all of this political upheaval.

I feel sorry for his children and wife, who is pregnant.

If the guy had any sense of humility left and love of his family, he would resign in the coming weeks.

Can a man be such a faithful servant to his Prime Minister to forsake any sense of family and sense of morally doing the right thing?

Regards JO

Gillard will protect him from having to make a statement to parliament and thus "lying to parliament", a capitol offense.

And stalling any court case for a couple of years wouldn't be too hard. Our only hope for bringing this nightmare to an early end is that "the other" kiwi has neglected to renounce his kiwi bros.

Reminds me a bit of the Liberals in power.

In reality its just typical Liberal misplaced moral outrage and double standards. Total hypocrisy.

Abbott and his Looneys from the right are turning this country into a mean, negative savagely attacking on anything in their path, getting dirty and personal and the focus is constantly changing.

Just as the Howard govt set a disgusting example to this nation of lying and duplicity, now we have Abbot (who was obviously taught by the master) doing this endless negativity. And all his mindless, unthinking Liberal voting followers are going along for the ride. Whatever happened to politics?

To keep a bit of balance here, from The Australian:

After NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell yesterday called for Mr Thomson's resignation, Dr Emerson returned fire, rounding on what he described as Liberal Party hypocrisy. Although he did not name Mary Jo Fisher, Dr Emerson noted that a Liberal senator was facing shoplifting charges.

He said three Liberal MPs - Andrew Laming, Ross Vasta and Gary Hardgrave - faced allegations over misuse of electoral allowances. All were exonerated.

Dr Emerson said Labor took no political pot shots at Liberals facing allegations, while the Liberals were savaging Mr Thomson, who was not even the subject of allegations of criminality. "This is just double standards," he said.

From crikey.com.au

That, after all, is the standard Craig Thomson has been forced to set — not yet charged with anything, merely a figure in a broader investigation by Fair Work Australia of the use of union funds before he became an MP, but nonetheless he’s resigned his position as chair of the reps economics committee.

In contrast, Senator Mary Jo Fisher, who has been arrested and charged with shoplifting and assault while she was a serving member of Parliament, has merely “stood aside” from her committee work. That’s a rather strange double standard, given Thomson hasn’t been charged with anything and what is under investigation relates to a matter before he entered Parliament.

Gillard is already distancing herself from Thomson. Abbott smells blood and he won't rest until he gets the kill. Good on him

To be kicked out (assuming he doesn't resign) he would have to be found guilty of an offence with a maximum penalty of one years jail.

With the glacial speed of the court system, assuming he's found guilty, it would take at least a year, maybe two, before a by-election is needed.

So let's not get too carried away about an imminent change of government.

To be kicked out (assuming he doesn't resign) he would have to be found guilty of an offence with a maximum penalty of one years jail.

With the glacial speed of the court system, assuming he's found guilty, it would take at least a year, maybe two, before a by-election is needed.

So let's not get too carried away about an imminent change of government.

Prostitutes, fraudulent use of union funds, letting other people use his credit card, payments from mysterious third parties.....and you don't think he'll resign?

Prostitutes, fraudulent use of union funds, letting other people use his credit card, payments from mysterious third parties.....and you don't think he'll resign?

I don't know if he will or not. I think in normal circumstances he would resign, but these ain't normal circumstances.

He knows, and Gillard knows, if he goes, then so does their govt, so he'll have to try and tough it out to keep them in govt. It remains to be seen whether he can or not. As Jo said, interesting times.

I don't know if he will or not. I think in normal circumstances he would resign, but these ain't normal circumstances.

He knows, and Gillard knows, if he goes, then so does their govt, so he'll have to try and tough it out to keep them in govt. It remains to be seen whether he can or not. As Jo said, interesting times.

True - the stakes are very high indeed. I'm actually surprised that the Health Union has sold him out though - Kathy Jackson must really hate his guts

Mate, he hasnt been charged and/or found guilty as yet.

Settle down and think about Liberal Mary Jo Fisher who has been found guilty and charged of shoplifting and assault, while a member of parliament, unlike Thomson.

His so called crimes arent even being investigated in a criminal sense, again, unlike Fisher.

Thomson was not in parliament when committing the alleged - as yet unproven and non criminal investigated - crimes.

Not to mention 3 Liberal MP's, Andrew Laming, Ross Vasta and Gary Hardgrave who faced charges of misusing party funds and were exonerated. What a joke.

Is the sky blue on the planet you guys live on?

mate, he hasnt been charge and/or found guilty as yet. Settle down and think about Liberal Mary Jo Fisher who has been found guilty and charged of shoplifting and assault.

It is a well entrenched principle of law that politicians are subject to much more scrutiny than you and I. Guilty or not - these revelations are damaging to himself, his party and to the Government. He has to go.

Guilty or not? Serious?

This is getting silly now, you're clutching at straws now here mate.

It is a well entrenched principle of law that politicians are subject to much more scrutiny than you and I. Guilty or not - these revelations are damaging to himself, his party and to the Government. He has to go.

What swing is needed?

dan c was correct....a 5.1% swing against Labor will see them lose the Federal seat of Dobell.

Extract from website ;

This electorate was created in 1984 and named after artist Sir William Dobell. It was held by Labor's Michael Lee from its creation until his defeat in 2001. A former Minister for Communications, Tourism and the Arts, Lee came within 117 votes of defeat in 1996, increased his majority in 1998, but could not resist the fall in Labor support that occurred in all the seats in Sydney's outer suburban mortgage belt at the 2001 election. He was defeated in 2001 by Ken Ticehurst, an electrical engineer who before his election to Parliament ran a small business that tracked lightning storms. After a lacklustre campaign by Labor in 2004, Ticehurst increased his majority, but was unable make lightning strike three times, defeated by Labor's Craig Thomson at the 2007 election and subsequently held again by Craig Thomson at the 2010 election.

Given how much Labor is on the nose with NSW voters, this seat would surely fall to the Liberal Party if a by-election was held. Wouldn't be surprised to see a whopping 15% swing against Labor, like they suffered in the state seat of Gosford in the recent NSW state election. Liberals garnered more than 50% of the primary vote in that poll, so all minor parties preferences become irrelevant. Gosford forms part of the Federal seat of Dobell.

Back