The big one is coming say preppers

Property values did not just hold well in Melb during GFC, the property market actually boomed, starting with inner city.
However, from what I recall many other markets around Australia actually crashed.

Would that be 'nominal' hay or 'real' hay.

The problem with property is that it takes huge amounts of leverage and long time frames to reduce that leverage and grow equity. That equity remains nominal until you can cash out and in a collapsing market that is almost impossible.

Getting leverage below 60% is a benchmark for financial survival these days and by no means guaranteed. Survival make actually look like 0% equity but sufficient income to service debt and so give the illusion of wealth.

Most PI's, 80+%, are leveraged to the gills and own less than 3 properties. You get a tiny minority of large portfolio PI's who constantly pump the meme PI is the solution.

During the last GFC many investments got hammered and many lost significant chunks of their super and retirement/investment funds. Property largely escaped any real correction but it's turn is coming.

The reality is many will make hay only to see it evaporate when a property corrections comes.

That by no means suggests people should not give it a go. How you plan for this event and your risk appetite are the key determinants. Success rates are low but that's the nature of the game.

I would say from this post the only guaranteed survival strategy is to.... buy nothing, do nothing, gain nothing and just hope for the best, which is pretty much what 99% of the population do, good luck with that one we know what the outcome will be and try surviving on that;)

The elites want stability as many lost large amounts of wealth in WW1 and WW2. They will seek stability and a continuation of the status quo. I wouldn't underestimate their ability or self interest in keeping things where they are. Bank collapses, asset seizures, revolution all endanger those in power.

So how did some wealthy people prosper through the Depression? Some people must have had good strategies.

Some may have done well,most did not have 3 meals a day or a roof over their heads,but this is just something when my Father would start drinking
and tell me about the 'Great-Depression" in Germany in the 1930's,the currency back then was the reichsmark over a span of 1-4 years the face value of the currency went from 4 per dollar up too 4 trillion per dollar:rolleyes:, the money was useless it was in most bins in any street,everything became
worthless,add Hitler too the picture when everyone had nothing and in those days you knew your place and said nothing to no one because if you spoke up like my father and his family did even your kids at school the black Mercedes would pull up early in the morning everyone gone to the railway station don't bring your toothbrush,could the same happen too the
"Euro" maybe..

It's hard to find old timer's who were investing before / during the 30's depression....and are still alive, and coherent. But the couple I have spoken to over the years told the same story. And it was ... those who weathered the storm best and who came "out the end" in the best shape were those investors with property. Apparently rents soared ...I don't quite know why ...but that's what I understand. Perhaps people just didn't have the funds to buy and more were forced to rent. Anyway, come what may, I'm sticking with my IP investments. LL

I would say from this post the only guaranteed survival strategy is to.... buy nothing, do nothing, gain nothing and just hope for the best, which is pretty much what 99% of the population do, good luck with that one we know what the outcome will be and try surviving on that;)

If this is what you think then you don't understand the post.

If you think that locking your wealth up in a depreciating asset (correction crash etc) with excessive amounts of leverage is a survival strategy I would have to disagree.

Many think that having some property will buffer them from a downturn and enable them to capitalise after the event when a recover happens. History doesn't support that theory and the post crash environment is likely to be one of continuing decline and stagnation for decades after.

ScreenHunter_68-Feb.-13-07.23.gif

So the risk is that that property portfolio may very well become nothing more than a millstone around one's neck. There are many Chinese finding that out now.

Your average PI thinks that old strategies of the past are the key to success and financial protection/security in the future. Namely acquire enough properties (+ve) with minimal leverage. That is only true to the extent that you get past the danger zones of -ve and high leverage. Those who have bought in the last 5 years would not survive a correction today and those who've bought over the last 10 years may cop a mild to severe flogging depending on how they're positioned.

I retain an interest in property but haven't dabbled for some years now. I learnt a long time ago there are far more profitable and interesting ways to make a dollar. I also learnt that describing the accumulation of assets as wealth is a poor example of what wealth really is.

Id have to agree with LL on this.

The GFC was the best thing that happened to us.

you reckon IR's are low now ?

Fear is a great handbrake if you want it to be.

I retain an interest in property but haven't dabbled for some years now. I learnt a long time ago there are far more profitable and interesting ways to make a dollar. I also learnt that describing the accumulation of assets as wealth is a poor example of what wealth really is.

Well that was silly, you missed out on at least 3 property booms in Australia over the last 2 years.

Property investors do not need charts, why waste time on this stuff leave this to the economists who regurgitate frequently, and who always get it wrong.

All one needs to understand is demand and supply its as simple as this. Once you understand how this works then you can start making money.
MTR:)

Last edited:
Id have to agree with LL on this.

The GFC was the best thing that happened to us.

you reckon IR's are low now ?

Fear is a great handbrake if you want it to be.

It was good for the investors who actually jumped in and purchased big, on a low when fear set in, but not many did. Similar when the stock market crashes, fear sets in, everyone runs for the hills.

Last edited:
How did you use gold to save your rectal in the GFC. And what made it necessary?

Just from simple stupid things like buying lots of structured products and treelots..... :(

We sold the gold we had bought back "ye good old days" when they were still under US$600 / oz to pay of the loans etc....

The Y-man

This is a great idea and I intend to do it too. Gold is always up in a recession. Same as David Jones and groceries.
It wouldn't have been just fear holding people back during the GFC - it was partly or mostly due to lack of funds. That's where gold comes in.
It was really unpopular just before the GFC hit too. You would've done well Y-man. I'm waiting for the price to go right down again.
No idea how to buy into gold. But it's always up in a recession.

Theory says ....

Theory says you should hold 2% of gross assets in gold. NOT ETFs .... bullion. If the SHTF then the ETF's can't deliver. You can debate the semantics all you like. To me, it just depends on how disastrous you reckon things can get...FOR A WHILE ...Keep in mind before you start jumping at shadows .....ALL predictions for the end of the world/civilisation/ financial system etc etc ....so far have a 100% failure rate !!! We get a problem... like the GFC ... but we get over it. LL

We get a problem... like the GFC ... but we get over it. LL

ROFL... don't tell the Greeks, Spanish, Irish, Icelanders, French, Italians, Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Argentines, Venezuelans. Oh I forgot to mention the thousands of Aussy's who had their retirement nest eggs wiped out.

The GFC was just the warm up act before the main show and hasn't actually finished yet.

The sheeple think the system was/is fixed... LOL

Sheeple eh, must feel fantastic to have all the answers and be part of the chosen few. Lol.

Let's check in say in 10 years and see how you went with your soothsaying.

/thread.

Well that was silly, you missed out on at least 3 property booms in Australia over the last 2 years.

Would that be the years my business returns were between 100 and 1000% annually? What were you guys averaging? ....10%

Property investors do not need charts, why waste time on this stuff leave this to the economists who regurgitate frequently, and who always get it wrong.

You misunderstand what economists are saying. They're employed by and large by institutions with another agenda. What they tell you is what they want you to hear. When the story doesn't jive with facts on the ground you know you're being led by the nose.

All one needs to understand is demand and supply its as simple as this. Once you understand how this works then you can start making money.
MTR:)

My dog understands supply and demand. His only problem is predicting the flow of either.

Tell me when you can predict the future value of assets with some certainty and I'm all ears.

As for charts they're just a pictorial view of data.... something I believe is the mantra of all investors usually labeled 'Due Diligence' I believe. I bet you're a closet spread sheet guy though ;)

Ha. swallowing the zerohedge koolaid is not due diligence. Posting that dross, and not seeing it for what it is, Now delusions of grandeur viz your "business" compared to "sheeple". I've seen the way this goes, next step will be medication :)

Ha. swallowing the zerohedge koolaid is not due diligence. Posting that dross, and not seeing it for what it is, Now delusions of grandeur viz your "business" compared to "sheeple". I've seen the way this goes, next step will be medication :)

ZH is but one of many sources Erko and certainly not a primary one. I rarely accept a position from a single source without a lot of cross checking. ZH has its dud information as well as dis and misinformation authors/sources.

Much of the 'dross' as you call it comes from establishment sources and private research firms. Determining their impartiality is always a challenge though.

Like many of the sheeple you seem to have trouble discerning the real from the MSM propaganda or are you simply trolling for the establishment?

ZH is but one of many sources Erko and certainly not a primary one. I rarely accept a position from a single source without a lot of cross checking. ZH has its dud information as well as dis and misinformation authors/sources.

Much of the 'dross' as you call it comes from establishment sources and private research firms. Determining their impartiality is always a challenge though.
Your posts this month have included warnings about Ebola, Nuclear catastrophe, Putin suggesting global collapse and now financial collapse. Can you give us links to these 'establishment sources & private research firms' ? Otherwise all you're doing is spreading unfounded FUD.

Back