The Block 2012

i watched the show for the first time ever last night. I had no idea "'worlds worst videos" host was the host for this show. I dont think I could watch it on a regular basis if it involved putting up with her. surely channel 9 has someone better to host their flagship show..

I think she is atrocious too!

This season is a flop compared to previous years. The couples don't actually do much other than project management and shopping, Ch9 haven't selected pleasant people to watch on TV (which may be intentional, but I would say that Brad & Lara are the only couple that treat each other with any kind of love and respect!), challenge day is annoying, the lack of budget is annoying, and the drama and hype that surrounds all of the advertising that materialises to nothing in reality is annoying. For some reason I am still watching it in the hope it will improve.

What's with the women who won't get in there and give it a go? Danni and Sophie are hopeless in this respect. They never need to wear work clothes! The show has become more about design than anything else. Perhaps this is because of the building guarantees that need to be given, perhaps they are trying to get a better sale price (hence the lack of budget shown), but it ain't what it used to be.

Blah, boring. Renovating with almost unlimited funds. Buying the most expensive decorator stuff. Honestly, am I the only one that thinks that bathrooms should be easily cleaned not just WOW, I'd hate to clean behind some of those tubs.
The budget seems to be about 5 times what the normal renovator has to spend on a property, and they don't seem to get their hands dirty doing the work. I would like to see girls with great work ethic and a can do, and give it a go attitude.... not shopping. Shopping is so boring to me.

That is my 2cents.

What's with the women who won't get in there and give it a go? Danni and Sophie are hopeless in this respect. They never need to wear work clothes!

Danni seems to spend all day in thongs. I'm surprised she gets away with that. Maybe once someone drops something on her foot...

Blah, boring. Renovating with almost unlimited funds. Buying the most expensive decorator stuff. Honestly, am I the only one that thinks that bathrooms should be easily cleaned not just WOW, I'd hate to clean behind some of those tubs.
The budget seems to be about 5 times what the normal renovator has to spend on a property, and they don't seem to get their hands dirty doing the work. I would like to see girls with great work ethic and a can do, and give it a go attitude.... not shopping. Shopping is so boring to me.

That is my 2cents.

When renovating we have to look at the market that you are renovating for and the potential value of the property at the end.

I presume these properties will market in the vicinity of $1-2mil - and if I were buying at that price I would definitely want the wow factor.

BTW - looks like hocking stuart will be marketing the boys efforts. Any idea on the timing of the marketing campaign?

Thanks for the links matto. So it looks like Brad and Thingy fixed the fireplace? Can't really remember but didn't they take the mantel away? Anyway it looks pretty good in those pics.

went to the block in dorcas st in the weekend.

have to say the finishes are really below average on what you would expect. gaps in the skirting and the couple who did the metal splashback design - it really look horrible in real life and they covered it up with another sheet overlapping it which made it quite difficult to clean

All the rooms, lounges were really small.

only pro was the house which had two bifold doors making the outside come into the kitchen.

I think the timeframes and budgets would make it impossible to do a decent finish ... the finishing is what takes the time, and they just don't have any.

And it's not as if they can think about the next area while doing the previous - looks like they have no time at all to even think about the area they are doing at that time.

All that is happening is that they are cheapening the houses - and then they wonder why the sales aren't profitable (I know - it's all about the TV and advertising).

Still watching - but ...

Then again - not looking forward to 6 night of Big Brother when The Block finishes. Looks like the DVD collection will get a dust off.

Did walk by. Want keen on the four hour q.

@melb how long did you wait?

The filming has been finished for months. Why they wouldn't have done more of the touch up is beyond me.

Have previous series been more open about budgets? This one has not mentioned it at all. Apart from, we are broke, we need more money.

That is my 2cents.

Agree completely. The show is a complete beat up. If you want to renovate for profit, this is not the way to do it.

Have previous series been more open about budgets? This one has not mentioned it at all. Apart from, we are broke, we need more money.

This is my biggest gripe too. I'd love to see the actual figures, what they have paid their tradies, what things actually cost. I'll bet Dan and Danni end up with a spa, even through they "apparently" have no money left.

First up I'd be returning the $3000 linen and buying cheaper linen. That would put $2800 in my pocket. That Danni needs to be pulled into line, but I don't think Dan is going to do it. I hope he earns a LOT because if he stays with her he will need lots of money.

I love the fact Lara is in there (just like me :D) doing things rather than just shopping.

Did walk by. Want keen on the four hour q.

@melb how long did you wait?

The filming has been finished for months. Why they wouldn't have done more of the touch up is beyond me.

not sure why they wouldn't. i waited for like 1.5 hours - i wanted to leave but i was stuck in the gate like a rat and just went through.

if you look at the picture - the couple who did this overlapped their metal splashback. imagine doing the cleanup etc on this.

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 86
Not sure of the practicality of Dale & Sophie's kitchen in regards to cleaning up, but I loved their kitchen, everything about it was just lovely, I thought. Didn't like the other three bland ones though, and not sure how easy mirrors in a kitchen would be to keep clean, either.

i think all the taste is subjective. Some would prefer the clean and simplistic design styles over vintage style. and cleaning a glass splashback would be easier be to clean too as they flat as opposed to that metal splashback.

but seeing it on TV as opposed to being there. the brothers had the best chance. as a buyer or investor you could see the value in the house by then design move.

Dani is just an out-of-control freak. I pity Dan when they get married. He's gonna have to get a highly paid job, if Dani let's him. :D

Also, every time they lose a challenge you can see Dani just go berserk inside.

They want to be best of mates with everyone but they are quick to back stab and have a cry if one little thing does not go their way.

Maybe don't spend $3000 on sheets and a bazillion on an overpriced spa and see what they could do.

For once, I'd like to see one couple not attend a challenge and spend their time actually doing the reno without the time pressure, IF they know they don't need the money or can't be arsed doing the challenge.

Back