The future of Emerald Qld.

so outskirts of rocky can only mean gracemere??

if so you better recess..that market is currently a shot duck..totally!

people cannot give houses away in gracemere.

there is more downside in gracemere to come..opportunity to buy there wont be for some time though its almost impossible to pick any markets bottom...

bonus for gracemere is that the shopping centre is not far off a green light...

Hi guys,

is anyone in forum land on the ground or have concrete information on whats happening in Blackwater at the moment. Gentle_Chief your thoughts? Anyone else?

JT

Hi guys,

for those of you that are interested. Here is the conformation of the courts decision to quash the appeal against the new $120m shopping centre development in Emerald.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/28/2966519.htm

One could draw the conclusion that development on such a scale in a growing Regional hub like Emerald must be encouraging and confirm the towns future as it would be remiss of anyone to imagine that the development of this centre was not undertaken without due diligence in the sustainability of the mining industry in the immediate area.

JT

WA could take a leaf out of Queensland's book. Our mining towns are still stuck in the 60s - small and poky. In Karratha, for example, a typical 4x2 rents for $1000 a week and sells for $1M.

I have a place in Emerald and have been doing alot of research on the
area for a number of years

One thing in all of my research that no one has mentioned is project
Iron Boomerang.

http://www.eastwestlineparks.com.au/

Hadn't stumbled across this (Project Iron Boomerang) but if it gets of the ground and becomes reality it is going to change the industry for good! The numbers are incredible! What a read!

Just goes to show the huge amounts of money and vast investment being poured into coal and iron ore over the coming decades.

JT

Hi guys,

for those of you that are interested. Here is the conformation of the courts decision to quash the appeal against the new $120m shopping centre development in Emerald.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/28/2966519.htm

One could draw the conclusion that development on such a scale in a growing Regional hub like Emerald must be encouraging and confirm the towns future as it would be remiss of anyone to imagine that the development of this centre was not undertaken without due diligence in the sustainability of the mining industry in the immediate area.

JT

this is old news...what we were looking at was approval to build....this still has not happened actually...lot of stepping stones yet with govt and local council requirements.........until i see signoff on the actual construction nothing is set in stone.

emerald badly needs this to happen, im confident it will but knowing councils thinking in qld, anything could happen...

Was in Alpha, Emerald, Capella, Dysart, Moranbah and Mackay last week for a couple of days, it was my first time back in the area for a little over 18 months and noticed a bit of movement in certain areas. Also drove through Wandoan, Miles, Chinchilla, Dalby etc. Will jot a few observations down below.

Alpha mines have started to transport coal - by road, which makes it VERY difficult to overtake annoying coal trucks on rubbish roads without an overtaking lane for 300kms... Whinge aside, I noticed a dozen or so new houses in Alpha, and work was being done on the airport. Not sure how/when/if the rail system will be sorted, I think a few hurdles to be crossed first. Belyando river floodplains might cause a few headaches.

Emerald is back humming again. Lots more developments popping up everywhere, Coles is back open after the floods and the new Bunnings/Big W is popping up quickly. Mate in real estate says sales are still happening, was slow for a while, but rolling along well now.

Didn't notice a heap of changes to Dysart and Capella. Peak Downs was pumping and looks to have expanded, but maybe I'd never really looked at how big it was in the past?

Moranbah was rolling along well. Plenty of new developments popping up everywhere. New shops in the Town Square and motels, as usual, were pretty full. Dyno plant was up and running and a fair bit of development happening around the Moranbah North mine area and further along Goonyella Rd.

Mackay was busy. Heaps more mines/infrastructure going in/up and running between M'bah and Mackay. MAC camp looks like it even bigger than last time I drove past. Saw the turn off to Daunia, would be good fun to fly over and check out all of the destruction, oops, sorry, development. Rentals in Mackay look to be still quite tight and rents are high.

Driving south, it was good to check out Rocky again and the drive through Mt Morgan to Tarooom etc was good. Plenty of relocatable dongas on the road; I think we counted 14 road trains all up.

Surat Basin area was busy as well. Plenty more mine vehicles and drilling rig signs around the place. Noticed a few more developments popping up here and there and talking to my agents in the area, rentals are starting to move again.

Not really answering all of your questions, but may give you a bit of an idea!

Emerald

Hi, I'm deciding whether to buy in Emerald or Blackwater ( House and Land Package)
Residex predicts higher growth for Blackwater in theirs Best rent report. (9% as opposed to 6% of Emerald's. (we know that Residex is very conservative in their's predictions) Blackwater has only 6000 people as opposed to Emerald's 17000. Blackwater recorded 18.38 historical growth as opposed to 13% of Emerald's. Typical house price is similar for both. New Washpool mine is in Mining Lease approval stage due March 2012 and will bring 370 additional permanent workplaces benefiting Blackwater. New McDonalds in Blackwater indicates stable growth projection for the area. Rent in Blackwater is on the rise. Blackwater recorded housing price decline during GFC and Emerald not. I'm planing to keep the house 5 years. What people think? Where is better buy?

Company I work for has just been awarded project 1.5hrs from Emerald.

Currently flying in there, although we are looking at hiring charter planes to fly directly into mine.

Workforce increasing to 220 in a couple of months.

Two camps in dysart and Middlemount will be packed.

Company trying to move me to Emerald, but I like the Sunny Coast too much!!

F

On the bright side...They could have moved you to Alpha :D

Hi, I'm deciding whether to buy in Emerald or Blackwater ( House and Land Package)
Residex predicts higher growth for Blackwater in theirs Best rent report. (9% as opposed to 6% of Emerald's. (we know that Residex is very conservative in their's predictions) Blackwater has only 6000 people as opposed to Emerald's 17000. Blackwater recorded 18.38 historical growth as opposed to 13% of Emerald's. Typical house price is similar for both. New Washpool mine is in Mining Lease approval stage due March 2012 and will bring 370 additional permanent workplaces benefiting Blackwater. New McDonalds in Blackwater indicates stable growth projection for the area. Rent in Blackwater is on the rise. Blackwater recorded housing price decline during GFC and Emerald not. I'm planing to keep the house 5 years. What people think? Where is better buy?

High risk High return = Blackwater
Medium risk Medium return = Emerald

Blackwater has only 3 major mines going for it.
And it has had a fair share of ups and downs. Quite a roller coaster.

High risk High return = Blackwater
Medium risk Medium return = Emerald

Blackwater has only 3 major mines going for it.
And it has had a fair share of ups and downs. Quite a roller coaster.

Hi, first time here in this forum.
All the info. has convinced myself to invest in Surat Basin. As a first time investor in mining town, to buy old established property in lower price bracket or house and land package or newly built property. Anyone to advise?

Emerald v Blackwater. Id have to put my money in Emerald (if I had any...)

Emerald has some major infrastructure going in at present, in terms of large shopping centres and home improvement centres and the like. It's a major town with history and future.

Blackwater will never go away but it's never going to grow like Emerald.

Emerald looking at a major airport upgrade to handle predicted traffic. Blackwater essentially closed theirs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited:
Emerald is definately more promising than Blackwater in long term. So which property type is the right one to go:
1. old established property in lower price bracket
2. House and land package
3. newly built house

Not sure I am right to pay a higher price for new property or try a bargain price for established property and renovate...

Emerald v Blackwater. Id have to put my money in Emerald (if I had any...)

Emerald has some major infrastructure going in at present, in terms of large shopping centres and home improvements and the like. It's a major town with history and future.

Blackwater will never go away but it's never going to grow like Emerald.

Emerald looking at a major airport upgrade to handle predicted traffic. Blackwater essentially closed theirs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I agree. There is some substantial infrastructure investment being poured into Emerald which should continue its establishment as a major regional hub.

I think there is some huge upside to what is happening in the Galilee Basin to the west which will have a major impact on Emerald. There is also some promising mining development just south of Emerald near Springsure by Bandana Energy...I think up in the region of $1.1 Billion. There is also gas also just south of Emerald in the North Denison Gas Field.

Rents are tightening sharply. I have experienced very good rental growth over the past 24 months and it's still rising along with CG.

IMHO Emerald has a massive future.

Back