The Gold Coast Market is Very Sad Indeed

Why would we only get $330 a week rental income? Cause that’s what similar – almost identical places in our area rent for, that’s why! Lol We don’t like the area we live in which is part of why we’re not happy in our place…so we’d move to the places we DO like, which are more expensive. Not by THAT much, but when you take into account the fact we’d need a place big enough to fit us in, and also not many allow pets (we’ve got 2 cats), this could drive the rent up a bit. Also allowing for it going up every 6 months too. I’ve averaged it out to be $400. Most of the places I’d be happy enough to rent that I’ve seen online are around $350 - $450 a week.

The place we live in now is Chevron Island by the way.

Well, I DO of course want a higher paying job, but there isn’t a whole lot of similar (admin) type jobs out there that DO pay more! Without a major increase in hours and requiring things I don’t have (like a car, for instance. Many around here require a car and I can’t afford a car and have never driven, so this disqualifies me right away), or they’re located in areas I can’t access. You may say isn’t it worth paying half my current weekly wage to maintain a car and get a loan to actually buy it, if I can get a long term better paying job? But no. I don’t want another loan to buy a car, I don’t want to have to pay an extra $50 a week + to maintain a car, and I wouldn’t get much more money in terms of the types of jobs that I could go for that require a car.

ANYWAY…yeah.

In terms of the values of the properties around here in terms of what we want to buy / what we currently have, we THOUGHT (before becoming more experienced in the actual sales results in our local area), based on list “for sale” prices and 4 different real estate agent valuations, we could realistically get between $350,000 - $370,000 for our place. But now we see no. Nobody is getting this. They are all ending up selling (after sitting around for months) for $320,000s - $330,000s. None of the higher priced ones ever sell and they all come down eventually.

In the area we want to live in, we thought (and were correct) that we could get something good for around $340,000 - $360,000…and yes, we can, but…now that’s blown out of the water because of our own area.

We’re particularly saddened by all this as our “dream” property (“dream” meaning what could’ve been in our price range and what was almost perfect in not all but many ways for us for that price range) that we’d hoped we could get (based on our earlier thinking of getting $370,000 maybe for our place), finally sold last week for $361,000. But of course we couldn’t buy it at that price due to our own property’s price seemingly not budging one single BIT in 2.5 years!

I think it’s just us being stupid and wishful thinking. The property we loved that went for $361,000, that 3 years ago would’ve been nowhere near our budget. Way too high. (which is the only reason why we didn’t buy in that area when we first bought our place) But now that area, as it was more expensive before, has come down. But OUR area has sort of just stayed the same…which is GOOD really, but it’s just so frustrating, you know?

Oh, also, yes I know we don’t want capital growth cause that’ll move our desired area out of our reach completely again, but something ELSE I mistakenly assumed when we bought our place (and I wasn’t DEPENDING on it, as again, we didn’t intend to want to sell and move so soon after buying) was that it would go up faster than the area we really wanted to buy in…the council planned to do several medium rise developments, rejuvenate the main shopping strip, and blah, blah…but none of this has happened. So…again, FRUSTRATING. I expected that our area would have a small boom and the area we wanted, which had already boomed ages ago, would go down slightly.

I look online each day for jobs…but yes, you’re right, I don’t want change ENOUGH to do anything about them. I (maybe wrongly?) assume that for me to get more money I should remain in the same type of role I’m already doing and which I have 10+ years experience in. To start again doing a totally different job in a completely different industry, wouldn’t I need to REDUCE my income?? Many places require experience and if you don’t have it in a particular industry, you either don’t get hired or you take a junior position. I’m too old for a junior position, even if I was willing to take one! Nobody hires a 32 year old to do an 18 year old’s job!

I’ve been on the books of agencies for years…it’s a little different on the Gold Coast…I’ve lived and worked in Melbourne (where I’m from) and it IS different. I know I do tend to have a negative outlook of late, but it is a lot easier to get a job in a capital city. This is just an example, but my partner, who is 48 years old (was 42 and 45 when looking for jobs up here), has a HEAP of excellent experience, is an incredibly motivated, intelligent worker and an asset to any workplace, had worked for 10 years before moving up here in a call centre in Sydney as the phone manager, VERY stressful and hard job, and she took 6 months to get a job up here when we first moved here, and then when she left that job she took a further 8 months to get another one.

A friend and ex work colleague of mine is 45 years old and also has heaps of experience, is highly intelligent, efficient and proactive, and she has been looking for work since February this year up here.

Another ex colleague and friend is 22 years old, has 5 years experience in admin and also cannot find a job. She left here last November, took 6 months to find another job, which was a casual tax department job. Unfortunately the work ran out after tax returns were all in, so she’s now looking again. She also had a brief stint at a catering company, working shift work, and she and her boyfriend have had their names down on Woolworths and Coles lists for night stacking of shelf work, but…nothing.

We are ALL on the books at agencies. They don’t call us. What’s most annoying is when you apply for a job through an agency (on Seek, etc), and they call you and get you in for an interview, but then…nothing. You follow up and they say someone else more suited in terms of experience got the role. All good. But then you never hear from them again, even when you see a new job appear on Seek (for example) through them. You apply, wondering why they didn’t call you first to discuss whether you might be suited for it. Then you realise that it doesn’t work that way up here. Agencies do have people on their books, but they don’t contact you for jobs. They just advertise. Always. You’re expected to apply to them each time. I know this as I know someone who works at one of these agencies. It’s a bit different in Melbourne, where I also knew someone who worked at a big agency. She said they got SO many resumes each day they ended up simply throwing most of them straight in the bin, and couldn’t even look at them!!

In terms of my partner, $480 a week is around $600 a week after tax. That’s not so bad for up here. Pretty standard really.

Anyway, regardless of the above and how unmotivated I sound (I AM actually motivated in other areas. The fun ones. Music. Lol. But that’s really fantasy stuff for now. No money making off it yet, and probably never will but who knows), and I know I come across as rather lazy and blaah (and I AM lazy actually, I admit it freely), I just want to confirm that I’m good at my job and not lazy at work. Just so you know. Lol. I don’t suck that badly!!

Without read back through the thread, I know you said something about your current job. Do you like it? Or don't you like it?

If you do like it, why not try for more hours. It is such a shame that you missed out on the dream home for such a relatively small price. I wonder if you took on more hours if you could earn enough to buy something else that you like?

Most of us here have had to tighten our belts.
Maybe you need to move further out..and take the train to work?
I'm sure you have many things on your "need list" many here would consider to be "wants".
What you may spend on groceries for a week, may be extravegant to others?
If it doesn't have a reduced sticker,or on sale, or a store brand..it rarely makes it to the shopping cart.

I have started wanting to eat the ice cream cone Drumsticks..but HATE paying $3.50 each....so went and bought 12 for $15 at the grocery store.

Maybe rent a really cheap place for a year and save some money.

Have you considered House Sitting?

Most times, you do not need to earn more..but spend less.

We are house sitting and live off $1k month, as all our expenses are paid for....they even provide a vehicle for us to drive.

Many options...and I love a bargain..cause I'm cheap !!!:)

Changing your attitude will help a lot...think outside the box..and give your self a time limit of saving as much as possible.

Maybe rent a really cheap place for a year and save some money.

That is a great idea, but of course you need to house the cats too, but maybe a really cheap house will be less fussy about pets?

Have you considered House Sitting?

Fantastic idea. If you could score a house sitting place, you could rent your own place and really save some money to put towards something else.

Most times, you do not need to earn more..but spend less.

Some great ideas there.

UGH, I just wrote a whole reply to this but the site went strange and it didn't post.

Anyway, house sitting, eh? I've always been curious about that. Would the costs to store all your furniture be offset by the savings? It'd cost us around $600 a month to store our stuff...we'd obviously want to have SOME stuff though, like our PC and music studio stuff and books and DVDs so we can still live. lol

Is it scary if your house sitting gig ends and you can't find another one right after? So you've got nowhere to live?? Eep. lol

Oh, and there IS no real train here...not like in Melb or Syd or Bris...you only really use the train to get to another station or up to Brisbane. Otherwise, it's the bus. And I'm fine with getting buses to work, but when I said certain jobs need a car, it's not just for part of the job description, it's literally because there IS no public transport in the area where the job is. You just can't get there as no buses service it. I'd LOVE a normal train service here. I used to get the train each day to work and back in Melbourne and it was fine.

And groceries? We only buy things when they're on special. We either wait till they are, or more normally, we switch brands according to which ones are on special. It's just us 2 and our 2 cats, and we spend around $120 a week including the cat food.

My best friend, her household is her, her partner and their 2 kids (and 1 cat), and she spends over $450 a week on groceries. Yikes!

I don't drink coffee, never buy lunches for work, don't drink, don't smoke, don't drive, we go out for dinner once a week and never any other time and my meal and drink literally cost me $15 (La Porchetta usually, and I don't drink wine or expensive drinks)...stuff like that. :)

We are ALL on the books at agencies. They don’t call us. What’s most annoying is when you apply for a job through an agency (on Seek, etc), and they call you and get you in for an interview, but then…nothing. You follow up and they say someone else more suited in terms of experience got the role. All good. But then you never hear from them again, even when you see a new job appear on Seek (for example) through them. You apply, wondering why they didn’t call you first to discuss whether you might be suited for it. Then you realise that it doesn’t work that way up here.

What a long read. Stevie, it does not work that way anywhere, including Sydney CBD.

And I've dealt with a lot of recruiters in IT (maybe 20-30+ agencies over the years). A recruiters might have 500+ people in their books. They are not going to call everyone everytime there is a new job on offer. It's up to you to be proactive about finding work, not for them to keep chasing you up to see if you are still looking.
Recruiters do call or email periodically (maybe every 6mths), to touch base sometimes.
Maybe for each job they should filter through all the resume's they keep to filter those that may be suitable, and determine themselves whether the role would be interesting to you, is suitable to your skills, is at the level you are looking for. Sounds like you trying to outsource the responsibility for you finding a job.

You’re expected to apply to them each time.
Yes indeed. Because each application is for a different job with slightly different needs. I'm sure the prospective employer would be happy if they knew you couldn't even be bother to apply for their role.

Would the costs to store all your furniture be offset by the savings? It'd cost us around $600 a month to store our stuff...we'd obviously want to have SOME stuff though, like our PC and music studio stuff and books and DVDs so we can still live. lol

I suppose Kathryn could fill you in on things, but I would assume that you do your first house sit and whilst there, and knowing an end date, you would look for the next one.

There is a risk involved that you could become "homeless" but if you line up the first and second one and keep finding the next one, it could work. Transport would be a big issue though. Could you not get a moped?

I have never house sat so I know absolutely nothing, except that friends recently house "swapped" for a whole year through Europe, and they planned most of it prior to leaving, but one month was not arranged until they were actually over there.

I also have never used storage, but that sounds expensive. I have been investigating whether my son could rent out his very large garage. If he finds the mortgage daunting initially, I suggested he rent it out, park on the street himself, and the adverts I found on Gumtree for storing boats or furniture seem to range from $40 per week to $75 or $100 per week. Because there is not a big market for it, pricing seems to be a bit "hit and miss".

If you find some place nearby, you could offer less than they are aiming for and possibly be able to store for much less than $600 per month.

This idea is not for the faint hearted, and I don't know if I would want to try it, but it is one way of being able to save, and as others have said, if you are not willing, prepared or able to change in other areas, this could be something to give thought to.

Alternatively, why not rent the spare room to a friend?

stevie
Rent your place out furnished...that's what we did while housesitting.
We travel very light. Everything we brought came in our carry-on for an international flight.Only time we check in our luggage, is for domestic flights here, because we are over the Kilo weight.
You would search for sits that are for long periods..and some homeowners don't have a problem with bringing your pets.
Then you rent your place out for a Fixed Term.We rented ours out to a college student.
If you have a short vacancy between sits, there are lots of places you can rent by the week..or stay with friends.

When we return to our PPOR in May...I think I will continue with my netbook, instead of dragging out our full sized computer.

Oh my goodness me! Rent out place furnished with all our stuff!?!? I don't know about that...it's not like a display home. It's SO personalised. The bedroom has a bookshelf full of stuffed sheep (I collect sheep, lol), my partner's got $120,000 worth of records and CDs, we've got heaps of DVDs, and our 2nd bedroom is our study, not used as a bedroom.

Ah, we'd never rent out our room to anyone...I know a lot of people do this, but no way. Our apartment is a small 2 bedroom. Whenever we have anyone come to stay with us (relatives), we have to put up the air bed for them so we can't use our study anymore and it's HIDEOUS! Our lives are put on hold. We make music you see, and our spare room is our study / library / music studio / computer room, etc. We need it! EEEP! lol We would have absolutely nowhere else to store all the stuff that's in there if we HAD to rent out that room to someone...

Anyway, I'm gonna investigate this house sitting thing, to see. I've always found it interesting. :) It might be too risky though...I mean, to risk not having somewhere else to stay lined up, especially with our "babies" (cats) lol

.......my partner's got $120,000 worth of records and CDs, we've got heaps of DVDs, and our 2nd bedroom is our study, not used as a bedroom.

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but you are coming up with excuse after excuse NOT to change anything and at the same time complaining about why you cannot change things :confused:.

My first thought on reading about your partner's $120K worth of records and CDs was that "that was the dream home". If you sold them and even got a fraction of their true worth, you could have bought the "out of reach" place that you loved :confused:.

If you want more income badly enough, you could find a way to rent out that second bedroom. Put all your gear in your own bedroom or put as much of your other stuff into the garage or cheap storage to allow you to free up one room to rent. You have to make some sacrifices in order to get what you want, but you don't seem willing to do that.

I really dont want to sound harsh, but reading this thread is really frustrating.

Wylie,
I think I have to agree with you.
As we find out more here, it doesn't seem that priorities are in the right spot.

When we came over to Aus, we packed all of personal belongings in a locked cupboard on our property. The intent was to put these things back, when we return for the 4 months.
I have found I like living very minimally.
My daughter asked me why we don't just lock the door and not rent it.
What..and lose that money?
Different mindset..my daughter and me.

Stevie,
With house sitting, they usually want to care for their pets too...are you willing to do that?

I have been feeling bad about my last post, because I don't like criticizing people, but I was shocked by the $120K worth of CDs etc.

I would much rather post helpful ideas or advice than criticize so please don't take it badly. I know I feel bad when I am on the end of it criticism, warranted or not.

But sometimes being slapped in the face with the bleedin' obvious has made me rethink my strategy and change tack. And I suppose my comment about the CD's is meant as a bit of a wake up call. You have a valuable asset (or your partner does) and you could both free up a spare room as well, if you really wanted to move forward. Is she prepared to sacrifice these CDs in order to help you both into the house you both want. Are you both prepared to sacrifice your "music" room for a while to get ahead?

Or maybe think about what you could do to earn more money, change jobs, get a moped so you can travel easier without having to buy/register/insure and run a car, or choose a little, cheap car to expand your employment options.

I feel like your mother :D but I do think you need to re-think things, and if you cannot (or will not) make any changes, then you cannot expect anything to change. Is your partner feeling the same way? Can you both make changes together, or are you on your own in your desire to change the rut you are in?

I really do want to help, and not just criticize you. My son's whole demeaner has changed since he learnt that what he thought he could not do (buy his own place) was actually within his reach, with some compromises. He has gone from "woe is me" to "let's look for a place".

Yeah, I do hear what you're saying. No hard feelings whatsoever.

My partner would rather die than sell her music memorabilia collection. That's just how she is and I have to respect that. I myself have thought on more than one occasion (silently) that we could buy a new place with her records, but I'd never say it. They mean SO much to her...if anything ever happened to them, she'd be absolutely devastated.

I think our main issue with renting out our spare room would be that we'd have to do it for SO long to get any money adding up, and we aren't willing to lose our quality of life for that long. We don't have a garage and our main bedroom is already full, so we'd have to pay to rent out storage, which would reduce the income from that rented room. We're also pretty much a fairly insulated "old married couple" and couldn't stand to have someone living with us, always around, in our space...cause unless the person stayed in their room the entire time and made no noise, it'd greatly impinge on our lives. The only other place to "hang" is the living area...we couldn't make any music or go on the computer or just relax (I usually wear no top around the house cause it's so hot. lol. Couldn't do that anymore!)

If we could get over $200 a week for the room MAYBE we'd consider it, but obviously if we can only get $330 a week for a whole APARTMENT rented out, that wouldn't happen!

And yes, excuses excuses. I know.

Oh, and housesitting and taking care of pets? We'd love that. Love animals of all kinds. Except of course (another excuse coming - beware, lol), our cats would then be a problem. If a place had 2 dogs or something, we couldn't suddenly have our 2 (indoor only) cats there. But meh. That's not a complete problem, but it'd just restrict our options for places.

I've actually considered walking dogs around my local area for some extra money, cause I often see people walking them around here, so maybe I'll look into that.

Hopefully we have given you some ideas..which will make you think of other ideas that would work for your family.

Maybe petsit in your home, instead of people taking their pets to a kennel?
Rent out your spare room to travellers..they are only there part time, and will pay $300+ week (I know, cause we did 2 years ago, and was happy to pay it)We were hardly ever there, and if there was a TV in our bedroom, we would have stayed there.

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but you are coming up with excuse after excuse NOT to change anything and at the same time complaining about why you cannot change things

Agreed.

Every sentence start with, 'that's a great idea', and ends with a 'but [this is why we can't do it]'

Trying to not be too rude here, but if you can read over your own posts, you may start to see a bit of a victim mentality here.

Everyone is trying to help & you just seem to happy wallowing in the attention whilst coming up with excuse after flimsy excuse as to why things can't change.

$120K music collection - holy cow! I know certain items are precious to us, but (god forbid) if one of you needed life saving surgery, would she sell the collection then?!?!? And if so, why wait till then, sell now, change your life for the better & in the future you may even have the funds to purchase a $200K collection.

Sorry, once again, don't mean to be rude but this is RIDICULOUS!!!

(Yes, I know I'm buying into giving you attention to, but seriously, grow up, sell the music, or rent it to a studio & get some money from it - so stupid to have it sitting there).

Last edited:
How about you rent out the 2nd bedroom in your current place to get some extra money? That way you'd also have someone else to split all the bills with.

Geez Stevie, I don't know what else to say. Every suggestion put forward has been knocked back by you. And to me, someone who is claiming to be so unhappy about the place they are living in would do anything they possibly could to get the next step up. I mean for goodness sake you and your partner both earn well below the average wage and it's not like you're fresh out of school! Doesn't that bother you? I earn well over double what you do and am about the same age. Yes I did go to uni, but there's others in my team that started uni but never finished as they just wanted to get started with work.

Maybe you could get a job in a call center? They at least pay better than what you do now. Wouldn't the extra money and working towards saving for your new place be enough to offset any annoyance you have with the job? I just can't believe that I read the same sort of crap from you many months ago and you're back here complaining about exactly the same stuff!

Sorry this is harsh but you need a serious wake-up call! How are you and your partner ever going to afford to retire if you can't even afford to pay off a smallish mortgage (in today's terms)?

stevie, you dont seem to get it. everyone is offering their best advice for you to move forward, but you keep resisting..

In the end if you dont change, nothing will. and this is for your future, not ours..

good luck..

Back