The importance of educating women.

We were having this discussion previously yet can't find the thread. So I'll just start this new one.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/1...hats-so-scary-about-smart-girls.html?referrer

Feel free to exchange thoughs on this, I would say it is just as beneficial to ensure women we know are empowered to invest also.

I had this chat with my partner recently. When she went to purchase her second IP, the broker warned her it would make it hard for her to get married if she had more assets. Also I noticed a lot of people I know encourage their daughters to enjoy the fruits of their labour, and while not excluding them from learning financial education, they don't push it as much as they do with their sons.

From my limited observation, I find the more stable families, the wife is in control of the assets moreso than the husband.

I thought this subject, and the other thread about women earning more than men, would have been stuff that got discussed by people in Australia 40 years ago? Bit embarrassed that they are even on here in this day and age where girls flog boys at school now?

I thought this thread might have been about the barbaric stoneage peabrains in Nigeria who have kidnapped the school girls. Another atrocity by the unmentionables on here?

See ya's.

We were having this discussion previously yet can't find the thread. So I'll just start this new one.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/1...hats-so-scary-about-smart-girls.html?referrer

Feel free to exchange thoughs on this, I would say it is just as beneficial to ensure women we know are empowered to invest also.

I had this chat with my partner recently. When she went to purchase her second IP, the broker warned her it would make it hard for her to get married if she had more assets. Also I noticed a lot of people I know encourage their daughters to enjoy the fruits of their labour, and while not excluding them from learning financial education, they don't push it as much as they do with their sons.

From my limited observation, I find the more stable families, the wife is in control of the assets moreso than the husband.
What's happens if you only have daughters and no sons,all our daughters have learnt from around the kitchen table each night from our mistakes and when all the dots have lined up,maybe tell your partner to get another broker..

What's happens if you only have daughters and no sons,all our daughters have learnt from around the kitchen table each night from our mistakes and when all the dots have lined up,maybe tell your partner to get another broker..

+1

Send her to Rolf. :)

When she went to purchase her second IP, the broker warned her it would make it hard for her to get married if she had more assets.

Any guy who's scared off by a womans intelligence of strong financial position is not worthy of that woman.

Any finance provider taking this attitude clearly doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

maybe tell your partner to get another broker..

I have. I was quite vocal about how much her current broker was a ****.

That said. A lot of my successful female friends have mentioned they feel they need to dumb themselves down when talking to a guy.

That just sets me off. I am pretty calm until I hear comments like that from people with huge potential.

I can't imagine what experiences they have had to feel this way. The Nigerian event is a violent and extreme example of sentiments that still linger in many countries.

Any guy who's scared off by a womans intelligence of strong financial position is not worthy of that woman.

Any finance provider taking this attitude clearly doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

Agree 100%.

I'm guessing the finance guy thinks a superficial barbie with an IQ of 2 and a $20k credit card debt is more attractive, and better marriage material than a switched on, go getter with girl with ip's and shares etc :rolleyes:

When she went to purchase her second IP, the broker warned her it would make it hard for her to get married if she had more assets.

Really? He/she should stick to credit advice.

Also I noticed a lot of people I know encourage their daughters to enjoy the fruits of their labour

I just had my 8 year old daughter prepare and sign a contract for a $13 loan between us.

Cheers

Jamie

Men are not scared of a woman's intelligence. When a woman chooses to 'dumb herself down' that is a choice she makes based on her perception of what she *thinks* men want.

As I stated in the other thread, when women are looking for a suitable partner (for provisioning purposes, not mating) they look up. Not sideways. Not down. Both men and women instinctively know this.

Let me put it another way.

A man has to choose between two women. One of them is a 9 in her mid 20's, who works as a waitress, making minimum wage. The other is a 5 in her early 40's, who works as a solicitor, making 6 figures.

99% of straight men will choose the hot chick over the 'successful' one. Why? Because men care only about two things when it comes to attraction: youth and beauty, with a side of 'feminine' thrown into the mix. But in this day and age, in Western society, if you can find a girl who is young, attractive and feminine, then you've hit the jackpot.

Now reverse the genders. Most women will choose the successful guy over the hot (but broke) dude, although they will seriously entertain the possibility of sleeping with the hot guy, if the opportunity presents itself.

As I said in a PM to MTR yesterday, men don't look for the same things in a woman as women do in men. Why? Because men are not women. It doesn't make our preferences any less valid, it doesn't make us shallow. It just means we prioritise different things.

I mean sure, most males (I use the word 'males' rather than 'men' deliberately) today will spout the whole 'I prefer an intelligent, accomplished woman over the sexy and attractive girl' lie, but that's merely due to 50 years of Feminine Imperative (google it) conditioning.

Fundamentally women do often do themselves a disservice by thinking that they should dumb themselves down etc.

I put this TED video link in a thread recently - it's a talk by Sheryl Sandberg and it's very illuminating about how women can self sabotage their own careers. You can apply the learnings to every day life/situations.

If you haven't heard of TED it is wonderful channel of talks which are videod for you to watch. The topics cover all sorts and some of the speakers are people that you would be paying a lot of money to hear. Some of them are just every day people with worthy learnings.

Hi westminster, it's impossible for me to take Sheryl Sandberg seriously. Have you seen her utterly ridiculous 'Ban bossy' campaign? Also, she has openly admitted that she sometimes goes into her office at work and cries.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't have much faith in a company that hired a man as Chief Operating Officer who admitted to locking himself in his office to have a good cry. I can't think of anyone else that would find that acceptable either.

So why is it okay if it's a woman?

My understanding is women outnumber men in the universities.

No one is holding them back in this country. They are not being kidnapped.

Why are people discussing what some broker said :confused:.

My understanding is women outnumber men in the universities.

No one is holding them back in this country. .

10q9gzo.jpg

Men are not scared of a woman's intelligence.

Hi Peter, just tacking on an extra bit here that I just thought of. Imagine this scenario:

Man and woman go out on a date, things are going really well. Plenty of conversation, then the man drops this: 'Yeah, when I get married, I plan on staying home and being a househusband while my wife goes to work'.

How many women do you think would agree to a second date with this guy?

I'll give you a clue as to what my answer would be: it's a whole number (no decimals!) that falls somewhere in the range between -1 and 1.

Hi Peter, just tacking on an extra bit here that I just thought of. Imagine this scenario:

Man and woman go out on a date, things are going really well. Plenty of conversation, then the man drops this: 'Yeah, when I get married, I plan on staying home and being a househusband while my wife goes to work'.

How many women do you think would agree to a second date with this guy?

I'll give you a clue as to what my answer would be: it's a whole number (no decimals!) that falls somewhere in the range between -1 and 1.

You don't know that though? You are only guessing? There may be tens of thousands of high earning, overachieving women who would be happy to marry her perfect man if he stayed home and raised the kids and she was able to continue her career.

See ya's.

You don't know that though? You are only guessing? There may be tens of thousands of high earning, overachieving women who would be happy to marry her perfect man if he stayed home and raised the kids and she was able to continue her career.

See ya's.

I'm available ;)

Cheers Spades.

You don't know that though? You are only guessing? There may be thousands of high earning, overachieving women who would be happy to marry her perfect man if he stayed home and raised the kids and she was able to continue her career.

See ya's.

I think you might be right there.

If the guy didn't get a second date it would be because the woman thinks he's a nitwit fishing for a wife on a first date.

A different matter however if said in all seriousness in a discussion about the subject.

If it was me and I thought he was a nitwit I'd spend the rest of my night on my smartphone - like you would if you were not interested in the person you're with.

Back