The New Townhouse

Hi All

So! We have bought a two-bedroom town house. (celebrate with us...champagne all round!!)

Today five friends and us had a great day painting the vaulted ceilings and the walls in Antique White.

Will live there for about two years then it will become an IP.

Built about 1990 with all original. It's got a great floorplan, a good aspect and in exellent condition, but dated.

So...my dear Somersofties, the question is of course: La kitchen and la bathroom...what to do with them?

Bathroom is all peach: peach vanity, walls, acrylic bathtub, peachy cream tiles with flower feature :eek: a 3 panelled glass shower door again in, you guessed it, peach trim.

The tiles however are perfect pale terracotta in immaculate condition.

Partner and I are in process of considering our approach and we would value the thoughts of those who've done all this before and are experienced in property.

L/T goals: IP with good tenants, firstly enjoy it ourselves...it is after all our first home.

So...spend the money and do a full reno in bathroom and kitchen.... or do the minimum eg tile paint all?

Full reno: new vanity $550,taps x 3 sets ($150), new shower recess ($600 + installation), new bathtub depends whether an acrylic or a freestanding tub. plus gutting and disposing of old stuff, buying new tiles and paying the workmen to do the job. Plus the work involved and handing over all that hard-earned cash on what....bathroom tiles!

The minimal option is: whatever is now peach, paint it white. Tile paint, wall paint, and even the bathtub just paint it all. Then buy a new basin ($100) and get a tradie to cut a top to fit.

Some Somersofties have said tile paint looks great. I've never seen it. Does it look good enough to live with yourself, or did people mean...it's ok for tenants?

Kitchen is easier: we are happy with layout, cupboards are in excelent condition, so it's just the splashback tiles and the benchtops and lighting. Again could just try tile paint in white to see how it looks since we'd throw out the tiles anyway. may be worth trying first.

so...would welcome cheap but stylish ways to renovate a bathroom. and to do a new benchtop.

Outlets in Sydney?

Cheers,
A

Alia

You're in Canberra- but is the IP in Sydney?

I ask because you mention vaulted ceilings, which would not go well in Canberra in winter.

I'd try tile paint first. From what I've heard it comes up rather well, and since you'll be living there for a couple of years, you'll get to see how it wears.

If it is looking shabby when you go to move on, you can renovate the bathroom at that stage. Also it takes awhile to get the 'feel' of a house, so you won't be wasting time by jumping in too early with a reno.

cheers

v

Back