This could be the worst thing the US have done in living memory

Forget those recent dubious wars, and the GFC. Forget rap, even. The US have now made it legal to use phones on a plane. It's only a matter of time before it happens here. So on my next flight to Melbourne, it will be like my daily train trips. Except longer. For over an hour, I'm going to have to listen to the tail end of domestic squabbles, people's weekend plans, and middle managers talking overly loudly about KPIs and sales targets and goodness knows what. Maybe airlines could bring back something like the smoking section I believe they used to have down the back of planes? They could call it the jabbering section? and put all the people who can't stay off their phones down there.

What about all the 'dangers of interference for the pilots' they kept telling us might happen.

It's funny how people cannot live without their phone.
We leave our mobile in canada and don't miss it a bit.

What about all the 'dangers of interference for the pilots' they kept telling us might happen.

It's funny how people cannot live without their phone.
We leave our mobile in canada and don't miss it a bit.

There was a radio segment on it here where they presented new research that suggests phones cant interfere. They also had some bigwig pilot on who says he uses his ipad in the cockpit.

I am currently in Texas. TV full of this BUT only electronic gadgets NO phones. Main reason everyone is against it.

Flying to London with people on phones ...:mad: no way!!!

Chris

About time, will be great to not have to turn my Kindle off and watch everyone with paper books continue to read.

If pilots can use iPads in the cockpit without the plane crashing it must be pretty safe. :)

For over an hour, I'm going to have to listen to ....
Noise cancelling headphones work great. I recently did a few long haul flights in peace and quiet ;) they're not adaptable to the armrest for the inflight movies though..

If you want a real good sleep, use a combination of ear plugs (provided on plane or bring your own), noise cancelling head phones, pre-arrange emergency exit row for extra leg room, inflatable kneck support, 3 valerian tablets, and a blanket.. bring on teddy is optional ;)

It allows mobile and electronic devices to be used in flight mode, so for music, apps etc. No calls allowed.

Noise cancelling headphones work great. I recently did a few long haul flights in peace and quiet ;) they're not adaptable to the armrest for the inflight movies though..

If you want a real good sleep, use a combination of ear plugs (provided on plane or bring your own), noise cancelling head phones, pre-arrange emergency exit row for extra leg room, inflatable kneck support, 3 valerian tablets, and a blanket.. bring on teddy is optional ;)

Personally I don't like the noise canceling head phones. I find they make you very tired. They don't reduce the noise, they push additional noise Ito your ear. Ok, you can't hear noise, but your ears are working over time. But agree a very good set of headphones are worth every penny.
Not a fan of drugs either, but I trained myself to sleep through hurricanes - so don't really need them. I fully understand those who do.

And you can now buy after market addaptors for the inflight movies.

Blacky

Virgin Australia has little pamphlets telling you how to connect your devices to their in flight wifi so you can use their entertainment systems.

Last time I accidentally turned off airplane mode during a flight there was no reception so unless the plane has it's own wifi there is no need to worry.
I have heard that it is a myth that having the phone on causes interference wth the planes navigation systems and that pilots do indeed use their own phones while flying.

Back