Thoughts on Foreign ownership in Australia

Hi All

One thing I have noticed of recent on the forum (long time reader, only just joined) is that there has been a bit more discussion about agriculture, so I thought I would bring up the issue of foreign ownership of assets in Australia.

Personally, I encourage the foreign ownership of residential property, largely due to the pool being so big. However I am not so sure about the foreign ownership of water and agriculture assets in Australia.

What are other peoples thoughts.

Catch
Patrick

foreign ownership. against.

has the potiental to create 'bubbles'.
is taking wealth out of Australia and lining someone elses pockets.

need I say more?

Sorry I really don't understand your reasoning for thinking it is a 'good' thing???

please explain!

Sorry I really don't understand your reasoning for thinking it is a 'good' thing???

Aussies are allowed to buy property in the UK, Canada, Japan, the USA and in most developed countries. It's plainly unfair, even hypocritical, NOT to allow residents of these countries the right to invest here.

is taking wealth out of Australia and lining someone elses pockets. need I say more?

Whatever your education background or voting preference, you certainly seem to have a short memory. Have you forgotten the sad tale of the Japanese in Queensland during the late 80s? They were massively overcharged for property in what was a huge rip-off. Salesmen and shonky valuers made a killing. Most of the Japanese had to sell out a decade later at a fraction of what they paid.

Yes Rugrat, they were ripped off by our fellow Aussies. They brought in billions of dollars into the country and left with next to nothing. Wonder whose pockets got lined there eh? Please explain!

Aussies are allowed to buy property in the UK, Canada, Japan, the USA and in most developed countries. It's plainly unfair, even hypocritical, NOT to allow residents of these countries the right to invest here.

Whatever your education background or voting preference, you certainly seem to have a short memory. Have you forgotten the sad tale of the Japanese in Queensland during the late 80s? They were massively overcharged for property in what was a huge rip-off. Salesmen and shonky valuers made a killing. Most of the Japanese had to sell out a decade later at a fraction of what they paid.

Yes Rugrat, they were ripped off by our fellow Aussies. They brought in billions of dollars into the country and left with next to nothing. Wonder whose pockets got lined there eh? Please explain!

No ! I wanna have my cake and eat it too

i'm OK with it as long as they invest in the country.

my last place which i sold was to a chinese migrant family which basically bought a vineyard and was exporting wine to china. That's income coming in, more jobs etc to Australia.

I saw the age article - lots of people get upset with some really nasty comments on race and foreigners but then again when you want to buy something overseas online which is far cheaper - no one complains. I suppose people can't see where globalization is going.

There's some good information & comments on Leon Byner's Facebook page Dont Sell Australia Short, this page discusses the selling of Australian Farms to overseas investors. I think the selling of Farms to overseas investors is just wrong & will come back to bite Australians one day.

I don't believe established residential property should be sold to overseas investors as this takes away supply to Australian resident's wanting to buy as an owner occupier, but are happy to see new dwellings constructed for investment as it boosts the construction industry, increases jobs & helps the under supply of rental properties.

Last edited:
I don't believe established residential property should be sold to overseas investors as this takes away supply to Australian resident's wanting to buy as an owner occupier, but are happy to see new dwellings constructed for investment as it boosts the construction industry, increases jobs & helps the under supply of rental properties.

Are you serious? Do you even understand the concept of urban sprawl, rezoning, and then development? Where do you think a lot of the $ for high rise CBD developments comes from in our big cities? Yeah, that plan will work :rolleyes:

Are you serious? Do you even understand the concept of urban sprawl, rezoning, and then development? Where do you think a lot of the $ for high rise CBD developments comes from in our big cities? Yeah, that plan will work :rolleyes:

Isn't a high rise development a newly constructed building/dwelling? I agree High rise buildings should be able to be built/purchased by overseas investors. I don't agree with the selling of established apartments to overseas investors. Pushing up the prices & driving the owner occupiers further out from the cities creating more urban sprawl.

Depends. Different people have different concerns about foreign ownership. But the general public probably has a very shallow understanding of it. Foreign ownership of housing is peanut scale compared to all the things that are already foreign-owned. But obviously if we talk about the large scale stuff, it tends to go over people's heads. And the fact it hides behind a 'corporate entity' protects it from public scrutiny from the average joe a bit too.

Mining is obviously an industry with a very developed foreign ownership market, far more developed than say housing or farmlands. However it is similar to agriculture in many ways in that it's a strategic resource, but at the same time probably a much more advanced sector in terms of foreign investment.

North America
The largest gold mine in Australia, for example is Boddington, and this is owned by North American firms with no Australian interest. Does this concern you? Do you think it would be better if it was in Australian hands?

AWB, which I'm sure everyone knows by now due to the Iraq scandal, is one of the largest agriculture houses and that's owned by a Canadian firm. AWB indirectly controls a lot of farmers since much feedstock go through marketing channels like this. Is that a concern to anyone?

New Economies
Or is the concern more about say China/South Korea/Russia/India, that aren't the closest in terms of culture and traditional alliances (even though they were allies in WW2)? Would you feel more comfortable with Japanese ownership (even though they were a WW2 axis power)? These nations obviously have their fair share of mines and power corporations.

TruEnergy for example is owned by Hong Kong... would people in Victoria be more worried about the fact that your electricity is controlled by a foreigner - especially a Chinese - than the fact your farms and water are? What about ownership of Optus... that's Singapore (which is basically Chinese), which based on my understanding of geopolitics would probably be on the Asian side if anything happened. They could easily tap your lines.

Basically...
Foreign ownership is already well-established in Australia. Nothing new. Housing foreign ownership is a peanut sector and I'm amazed at how sensationalised the issue is. It's probably due to the fact that the average joe understands houses, but Boddington? Who cares...

As for ownership of say mines, agriculture assets, telecommunication companies, utility companies etc, the main issue is commitment to develop. For example, a lot of foreign buyers buy up the mines here and spend billions of dollars bringing it to production. Is that necesarilly a bad thing when no one domestically is willing to commit this sort of money? If the original local owners were prepared to commit the money or if there were other local businesses prepared to commit the money, it wouldn't have ended up in foreign hands in the first place.

Whitehaven (a $3.5bn company) is now selling itself on the market. Seems like no one locally is interested as usual and all the interest is from offshore. So if you ban foreign investment it'd probably mean those mines never get developed and people living in the Hunter Valley can look forward to less jobs, and those house price rises we want can probably stay put. In short can't have it both ways.

If people want prosperity, then they need to embrace globalisation and that includes flow of funds from foreign entities in exchange for ownership of assets. Of course, you impose restrictions etc etc. Every sovereign does that. But people labelling it as 'bad' for the country probably take a too simplistic view.

As a few posters pointed out, I want to have my cake and eat it too!! Lucky the people in charge have sufficient economic sense (regardless of which side of politics) to realise what's at stake. The day we get an extremist up there, I'm bailing out.

there were just some of the comments i read from the age

"Am I the only person in this country who can see the bigger picture? I live in a Melbourne suburb where Chinese migration is enormous. Where did that man get all the money to invest in property and business? Who is backing him? I suspect the huge migration from China is part of a larger plan for world domination. How many of these new residents are sending information back to Beijing? When the chips are down, where will their loyalties lie?
Please, governments, wake up and stop being so naive. China is using you and it's going to come back and bite all of us!! There is no point us increasing our ties with the USA, as they are heavily in debt to the Chinese already. It is a very worrying situation and as soon as I can, I'm out of here."

"There used to be restrictions imposed by the Foreign Investment Review Board on overseas residents buying properties in Australia. A few years ago these restrictions were lifted and now it is just open slather on Australian properties. My kids will never be able to afford a house because of this ridiculous demand."

Hypocritical?? I have no loyalty to these other countries, my only loyalty is to Australia. I never told these other countries they should sell to Australian's. Alot of Countries WON'T Allow sales of property to anyone who is not a citizen. I have no problem with that. Here in Australia, I think sale of Property should remain with those who are citizens and / or permanent residents. It is better for Australia's economy to try and keep as much of Austalia's wealth in Australian hands as possible. We live in a global world, and I recognise this is not always possible, but still the attempts should be made when possible.

FYI - I was a child in the 80's, probably busy skipping rope and playing with barbies. ;)
Having said that, bad ethics and morals aren't exactly convincing evidence that we should repeat the past...Just because I think we should try and keep Aussie $$$ in Australia, doesn't mean I think we should be OTT unethical capitalist entities attempting to defraud the world at large of everything they own.

So we ripped off foreigner's in the past, that is your arguement for why we should allow foreign ownership of land??? :rolleyes: Pretty crap argument...

Deltaberry - you raise some excellant points. And I agree that foreign ownership is already very well established here in Australia, I just think that as Australians we should be looking beyond the easy $$$ today in selling to foreigners to look ahead at the longterm 'what is in the best interests of the australian economy'?. If we sell off everything we own to overseas buyers, eventually we will have nothing left here with which to generate our own wealth, and will be relying on sourcing all of our resources and supplies from foreign entities. Already that is the case all too often.

Agreed with you. I think there are always two spectrums

Right
There will always be winners and losers out of everything. As the country and its major cities globalise, the winners are the people who are established and those prepared to work hard to take advantage of new opportunities both here and offshore as other countries also open up to you.

Left
The losers will be the ones who are probably stuck in the past, who didn't toil as much in the past or equip themselves with the skills and foundation to take advantage of new opportunities here and abroad (whether it's in terms of learning a new language, understanding another country's system and equipping yourself to be able to work there or sell products there), and are now unable to adjust to new competition and new flows of capital. These people will always be pushing for a closed economy. Reminds me very much of that newspaper comment Melburnian posted.

Going forward
I am probably someone who has been equipped by this country (ie Australia) with some skillset to take advantage of this globalisation process and earn $$$ off other countries, and take advantage of opportunities that these countries bring with new investments here, new capital here, as well as take advantage of opportunities that arise from Australian entities investing in their economies etc. So for me, I always know where I stand between the two spectrums, and probably the biggest saving grace is my mobility in all this if this place decides it takes the left spectrum I guess. But the saving grace for everyone on the left specturm is that I am a product of the system here, equipped to perhaps take advantage of what's established in another. Some win, some lose as usual.

Yup - u got to take opportunities when you see them.

Fingerpointing ends up no where

Look at the kogan - the LCD TV importer and how far he has gone leveraging off globalization.

hi all
interesting question
and I have to say I work for both sellers here and buyers from os
if you sell its gone
there are buyers
but its gone
sell the milk and its gone
don't then say why milk prices so high
its sold
we are selling and we have buyers on gold mines
once sold they are gone
you can sit back and say this is right or wrong
but its gone
coal china is at about 50 or 55% of all the coal
its gone
you can vote anyone you wish in but its gone

40 to 50% of the feedlots
gone

what I can see is its great for this

as well as take advantage of opportunities that arise from Australian entities investing in their economies etc. So for me, I always know where I stand between the two spectrums, and probably the biggest saving grace is my mobility in all this if this place decides it takes the left spectrum I guess
thats me as well
I can move
but alot can't
and this will be a big problem

I heard a very simple thing the other day
you are selling the milk cow to buy a bottle of milk
what do you do for the next bottle of milk

you all seem to forget one thing and I have posted it many times
the chinese are the oldest form of money
they and the arabs traded long before any form of western currancy
they understand finance
and they trade
and both are buying in your market
if you do not wake up your water /electricity/drainage/power and food production is sold
what do you have
a 2 br unit in parramatta
giving 450 per week with a cost increase of 50% on food cost
and no control on the increases
give me a break
either I can see it
or this is a fairy story
oh and remember fairy stories do come true
this one will
but it may not be a happy ending for you
I can go any where
can u
ps
we are selling the coal and the gold
we have buyers and sellers
so this is not a hypo this is happening now

Isn't a high rise development a newly constructed building/dwelling? I agree High rise buildings should be able to be built/purchased by overseas investors. I don't agree with the selling of established apartments to overseas investors. Pushing up the prices & driving the owner occupiers further out from the cities creating more urban sprawl.

LOL... think about what you are saying. Where do you think the LAND comes from to build upon in built up areas? How do you think rezoning occurs? Do you think there are all these vacant blocks in the CBD waiting to be built upon?

Developers/investors often need to buy established property, sometimes many adjacent to each other, and often hold for a few years before major development. Hence, they need to be able to buy & hold existing property. Your theory would effectively put an end to that for many developments through foreign ownership prohibition.

That could work if and only if, leasehold was used for foreign ownership.

That's what they do in some countries and isn't a bad compromise- eg Thailand. Citizens are able to purchase, foreigners are able to buy leasehold, provided they met the righht criteria.

That's been used in singapore - due to insufficient land - but with leasehold would make it rather unattractive for anyone to invest.

i think they should have quotas for buying for foreigners so that being said - there are only a set amount of property that can be sold per year.

Back