Thriving on Minimum Wage

That menu is not enough to feed a man/woman who works a physical job or has any sort of exercise. $6 of chicken gets you about a breast and a half..... thats little lunch for 1 day .

How does one buy the loo paper and other things to maintain a healthy household.....I know sometimes I shop and buy $70 worth of stuff I can't even eat.

If you guys are retired why be flipping burgers at some roadhouse in the middle of nowhere? Have you ever seen the BCF ad?.......

Like an average minimum wage job ?

Not that kathryn suggested it, but I think you can get free toilet paper from shopping centres

I think most of us agree that tightening the belt can lead to lots of savings etc etc etc

Good luck to people who make it whatever way they choose.

These prices are based on the prices the last time we bought groceries..October 2011, in Longford, Victoria.
Many times whole chickens are under $6, along with lots of other reduced and on sale foods.
Just because you buy expensive food, doesn't mean you cannot buy cheaper food. Loo paper is $1.59 or so at Aldis, and will last you a month.

Cleaners can be made with water,vinegar,ammonia.
Homemade laundry detergent for pennies a load.(borax, bar laundry soap,washing soda)

So many ways to reduce costs, if you want to.
Do a google.

And never steal toilet paper !!!! :)

Is this what you actually DO or have done for any where near the number of years in a row that you are suggesting others would have to do it as per your outlined plan ?

Do you accept that not everyone wants to live like that and so some will go out and achieve the end result they want differently ?

Do you accept that it's ok for them to do this or do they HAVE to agree with your way ?

I'd prefer to spend a bit more and actually enjoy the good things in life.

If it means I retire at 60 instead of 55 so what.

unneccessary stuff quotedWe did it another different way already

"without all that scrimping. We scrimped a different"
if some generic person wrote, "we didn't drive to Brisbane. We drove a different road to Brisbane", they would probably be classed an idiot

You see, Bob, this is what is so insulting. You are calling me an idiot. That says a lot about you.

"this level of commitment"
no extra work, nothing that is not being done anyway, cooking for 1 is just as time consuming as for 6

Oh puhleeeeease!!!

but its fine to get a second job, that pays more than the first job to equal what you make would be 16+ working hours/day. Or go to the mines, for a one legged man, or single father,

Kathryn wrote ↓ suede ⇓ instead of swede,, must be the one that tastes like old leather,, ha ha

I have no idea what you are on about with this comment.

These prices are based on the prices the last time we bought groceries..October 2011, in Longford, Victoria.

It is March 2012 now, and the last time you bought groceries was October 2011 :eek:.

Many times whole chickens are under $6, along with lots of other reduced and on sale foods.
Just because you buy expensive food, doesn't mean you cannot buy cheaper food. Loo paper is $1.59 or so at Aldis, and will last you a month.

Cleaners can be made with water,vinegar,ammonia.
Homemade laundry detergent for pennies a load.(borax, bar laundry soap,washing soda)

So many ways to reduce costs, if you want to.
Do a google.

And never steal toilet paper !!!! :)

I'm with the others who have absolutely not interest in living like this.

I'm happy that you do it if it floats your boat, but as I said, we scrimped a different way. (No need for Bob to jump in and ridicule my statement a second time, but I'm sure others understand what I am saying.)

I suspect there will come a time when you will be unable to ever spend what you are building up. I've seen it before.

Last edited:
Reactions: weg
Husband made himself fruit salad tonight, but not because we bought fruit to do so, but because we always have a variety in the fridge (atm have bananas, strawberries, grapes, pears).

Kathryn, our meals don't sound remotely like yours.

Personally, I'd rather concentrate on eliminating waste, buying well, buying in bulk, but only if you can freeze it, but saving less rather than going without or eating the same thing over and over.

So how come you're still living this way? Have you reached financial freedom or not?

If so, what is the point of denying yourself like this?

If you don't feel you're denying yourself, or you enjoy living this way, why are you trying to accumulate wealth?

Genuinely curious, as it makes no sense to me.

You know, threads like this make me feel sad about the human race.

What this thread says to me, straight up, is that it is more important to be "rich" by owning property and charging every last penny of rent you can get so that your CF and CG figures look good so that you can buy the next property than it is to actually give a toss about people with less money than you.

I mean, think about it - in 1985 if you wanted a house, all you needed to do was keep up your payments for 8-15 years and the place was yours.

Today, according to this thread, if you want the same house, all you have to do is live like a dog in the den, lease your room to strangers, clean their skidmarks off your toilets, replace the loo roll, mow the lawn, eat a diet that will leave you malnourished, water down the milk or add some of the grass clippings to it to make stew, and if you can do that, you're living the Australian Dream - and if you reckon you'll pay the place off in 8-15 years, "Ya Dreamin'!"

But who cares about poor people. If they can't afford bread...let them eat cake!

Kathryn,

Spending $25 weekly on groceries would mean you go without. Most here don't want to do it, not don't know how. Most of us aren't stupid.

The fruit was one example... 1 bag of 1 type of fruit for $1.99 v 4 different fruits that will cost more because they're loose, not in bulk bags. You have an apple everyday, we have variety or fruit salad ;).

There are nothing wrong with those foods you buy except we add a lot more variety in vegetables, that aren't all bulk bagged, like potatoes and carrots are.

We also don't eat jams on toast either (I wouldn't encourage my children to have that either). Older son likes Avocados on toast. We have a tree but out of season I can buy 2 to 3 a week.

$25 per week is extreme, and shows you go without variety and extra that can make meals much more interesting and tasty.

I won't even go into the social aspect of food (ethnic background here).

You still haven't really said why you are living on such a meagre amount when you obviously have achieved financial freedom.

Isn't financial freedom about NOT having to worry about affording essentials like foods.

I'm amazed that you think I'm amazed.

Last edited:
I'm just playing a real life game of monopoly.
We buy houses. It is fun.

I am very disappointed in the attitudes some are spouting here.
You obviously have no idea what it is really like to struggle day to day.

You're right. The every day person struggling day to day faces a massive dilemma as to whether to build 4 houses instead of a hotel with their first home owners grant.

I mean, what does one do in that kind of situation? Does one build the 4 houses because there are 4 dens for them to choose from to live in amidst toilet paper changing duties, or should one build the hotel, because we all know that milk in hotels comes in those cute tiny little peel open cups, which make mixing them with water at a ratio of 50:1 to save that little extra oh so much easier?

Decisions, decisions :confused:

Reactions: weg
Kathryn,

Spending $25 weekly on groceries would mean you go without. Most here don't want to do it, not don't know how. Most of us aren't stupid.

The fruit was one example... 1 bag of 1 type of fruit for $1.99 v 4 diferent fruits that will cost more because they're loose, not in bulk bags. You have an apple everyday, we have variety or fruit salad ;).

There are nothing wrong with those foods you buy except we add a lot more variety in vegetables, that aren't all bulk bagged, like potatoes and carrott are.

We also don't eat jams on toast either (I wouldn't encourage my children to have that either). Older son like Avocados on toast. We have a tree but out of season I can buy 2 to 3 a week.

$25 per week is extreme, and shows you go without variety and extra that can make meals much more interesting and tasty.

I won't even go into the social aspect of food (ethnic background here).

You still haven't really said why you are living on such a meagre amount when you obviously have achieved financial freedom.

Isn't financial freedom about NOT having to worry about affording essentials like foods.

I'm amazed that you think I'm amazed.

When you first started talking about fruit, I thought you were leading up to a masterfully crafted ambiguous insult and rubbed my hands together...

...and then you failed me :(

I lived watching every single cent when I was at uni.

I did that so I wouldn't have to live the rest of my life depriving myself of the things I enjoy so I can die with a big pile of money. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I have just been to a family birthday party, and I'm feeling very melancholic, remembering my mum who passed away a year ago... so forgive me if I get soppy.
One thing that I think we forget sometimes in our efforts to get ahead is generosity. The thing which constantly astounds me about my mums' life is that she was the pinnacle of generosity and hospitality, and in the end, I think that is what contributed most to her material wealth.
She and my dad had nothing when they got married, they adopted a child, moved around to try to find work, my mum worked full time, they had a large family of their own, she looked after her mother, had boarders etc.. but we never lacked for anything. She cooked large extravagent meals, had regular parties, people always felt they could just "drop" in, and there would always be something there to eat. She bought the grandchildren the most expensive presents, lent us money when we needed it. SHe played tennis 4 or 5 times a week til she was in her 60's. When my fathers business went under and he owed loads of money, she was the one who worked to pay it back (all without ever feeling like we suffered as a family). Everything she did was with the motivation of generosity and hospitality.
When she died, she did so with a reasonably valuable estate, fully paid for by the works of her hands, and the generosity of her spirit. She was definitely not a saint..... but she could throw a good party, and knew how to laugh!

She did work hard, bl**dy hard...... but she always was giving, emotionally, physically and financially, and I think as a result, money came her way. (as well as relationships, community and love..... she was the centre of attention, and everyone felt welcomed by her.)

There is something about generosity that means that you always have enough, or more than you need. Saving and scrimping will only get you so far I think.... generosity, both in spirit and in material things, is more powerful.

So, if you really want to get ahead, and out of poverty, I would definitely add generosity into the mix!!

absolutely penny, couldnt agree more

i see things like charging kids petrol money to take them to their high school jobs etc nauseating. such a selfish existence, a very mine is mine and yours is yours type attitude which is a long way away from what i believe in

there is plenty of money out there for everyone, of course people need to be smart with their money but there is smart and then there is lunacy

i will add though that despite the fact kathryn/bob and i are about as far in ideology from each other as i can imagine it can be possible to take learnings out of some of her posts. yes the figures might be off but the fact is they are creative with how they are getting ahead which is something many people can learn from.

Back