tiler reference in sydney please

I need a tiler to do my bathroom. It is only about 12m2 job but I have had quotes from $1000 to $4000 for the same job. I'm not stupid and have had lots of bathrooms done and understand the process and how long it takes. I have had every tiler treat me like a fool. (five quotes.)
The job complication is that I think there is asbestos to be removed and yet not one tiler has commented on it. They just say they will rip it out and leave it in the backyard for me to dispose of. I don't think so!!!

Shall I get an asbestos removal company in first to remove the tiled wall and bath and then hire someone to retile. The house is an old defence house built in 1960's so it must have asbestos in it and I can not risk the health of myself or tradespeople. i'm sick of looking at the new tiles and bath etc and yet can not find a way forward, I have a chap willing to do it but he takes no notice of the asbestos so I do not feel comfortable about his ripping it up.

Any advice re the asbestos removal and a referral to an honest tiler would be greatly appreciated. thankyou all in anticipation.

Last edited:
There are plenty of demolishers who will remove asbestos sheeting (which is relatively harmless). Just look in your local paper/yellow pages and you will find someone to remove.

thanks , I would if I could. The last one was in Albury and the Sydney ones are from over ten years ago and they are no longer available. I did try to contact them. I live near Wattle Grove which is sw sydney. I will phone some asbestos removal people in the phone book tomorrow. I am just unsure as to how dangerous this stuff is to remove. (I know how dangerous loose asbestos is but the removal is confusing as trade shops sell masks and clothing but then I hear it would be to dangerous to touch myself. thankyou for your reply.

Back