tiles before skirting? unsure

hi i have a concrete slab floor which im going to put down floor tiles.
should i fix the skirting to the wall first or lay the tiles then the skirting on top?
help please
cheers

Tiles first, skirting will cover the cut edge of the tiles and the water from mopping won't get caught under the skirting.
Bushy

Don't forget to caulk the skirting to stop water from getting under the skirting (if placing skirting on tiles, which is the way to go)... But yes you are correct, best to tile first & place skirtings on top... I recommend caulking afterwards...

Most volume builders however do place the skirtings first (for economic reasons) & just tile to the skirting...

Cheers,

Manuel.

Hello jpr,

skirt after the tile. i dont know which room you are taling but in case you want to tile the walls in the future you just remove skirting and tile. as mentioned previosly dont forget to caulk for waterproofing. good luck)))

depends on the room,
if u need to replace the tiles then u have to ripp up all the skirting.
but it u lay the skirting first then tile to and need to replace the skirting its only a little but of grout u need to replace.

So think about what the room is used for and what will be the more common thing to do and work from there

Tilers usually come in after the carpenters have finished. This means the skirting is always done before the tiles are laid. What we usually do is raise the skirting off the floor by 10mm so the tiles can slide under. The tiler then finishes off with silicon.

skirt on top.....but

we are with Salesh on this one.
We are often finished the fixout before the tilers so we raise the skirts-on new homes.

On reno's the case is different.

Putting the skirts on after also allow you to scribe to the tiles to ensure you have a nice neat finish and no ugly gaps around the place.
Alternatively you can gap fill between floor and skirt then paint the skirt.
We always then run a bead of clear silicone as well to stop any water ingress.
Not always necessary but we like to be thorough

cheers

Adrien Mamet
www.mametconstructions.com.au

Last edited:
Back