Tiles or floor boards?

Apologies if this question has been asked before. What are the pros and cons on tiles versus floor boards for a kitchen, dining and family room? Considering costs, wear, spills, the look etc. Also can anyone recommend someone in Adelaide to do the job?

Thanks alot.

Tiles are generally more durable overall. They are less prone to abrasion or scratching. However this is offset by the potentially increased difficulty in finding matching tiles in the event of damage in future years.

Timber floorboards on the other hand (I assume you are intending to polish existing timber floorboards, not install a floating floor) are more prone to scratching, especially by careless tenants dragging furniture across it or walking through the house with stones stuck on the bottom of their shoes. However they can be re-polished, provided they haven't been excessively polished down in the past.

Floorboards should generally be fairly well sealed against accidental spills. Warping or cupping of the timber becomes more of a problem in the event of large leakages or, heaven forbid, flooding, not day to day spillages.

I note that you mention that the property is in Adelaide. If it is an older house with timber floorboards, you want to check that the house is not located on a reactive soils site. If it is, there's a high chance the floor tiles will pop off after a while due to the seasonal movements of the soil.

I have no idea about cost figures, sorry - you'll have to wait for someone else to pitch in on that matter.

Hi Zeddy,
the house has vinyl laid at the moment but I am going to replace it as I intend turning this IP into a PPOR. Not sure what's under the vinyl but I suspect concrete. I believe both solid and laminate can be laid over the top?? I lean towards tiles but am open to timber too.

:confused:

Hi Zeddy,
the house has vinyl laid at the moment but I am going to replace it as I intend turning this IP into a PPOR. Not sure what's under the vinyl but I suspect concrete. I believe both solid and laminate can be laid over the top?? I lean towards tiles but am open to timber too.
:confused:

Give it a kick... if there's a hollow thumping, it's timber.

Yes you can but battens down with floorboards, or put down the laminate. Remember though scratches in the latter can't be repaired as easily due to the thin material.

I've had some salespeople hawking lamintes that are supposed to be extremely durable and scratch resistant, but haven't had any personal experience with it.

If you're getting laminate get the good stuff with thick high density board underneath and wax in the joins, the cheap stuff is medium density and if it gets wet it puffs up.

I prefer tiles. Had floorboards in one of my IP's had to replace after 5yrs as they were swelling (floating floor). Tiles are just more durable.

Back