Time spent on the internet vs Body Mass Index

Thought it would be interesting to hear:
- how much non work time forumites spend on the internet.
- whether you have cable or dial up.
- how many hours of exercise you get a week (cardio like walk, jog, swim, bike, and resistance ex).
- and what your body mass index is. which is worked out thus:

BMI = weight (kg) / height^2 (metres, not cm).

Would be very interesting to see if BMI goes up with time spent on the net.

Just to get the ball rolling, my hours on net vary from 0.5-3 hours per day for non work related stuff.
I have dial up at home, and adsl at work sites.
Have slacked off with exercise in the last 6 months due to setting up home away from home and work commitments. 10 mins on concept 2 rowing machine, 5 mins of dumbell work 3-4 times a week, and demonstrating back exercises throughout the day. And I rarely sit down at work, which isn't bad for 46yo.
My BMI is 26 and I need to lose around 6kg or take 5cm off my waist.

TFB,
I am on the net about 1 - 3 hrs a day, adsl at home and also at work.

BMI =22 (TFB you mean BMI = weight (kg) / height TO THE POWER OF 2 Right ? )

Walk during work luch time may be 2 to 3 times a week of 30 mins each, some neck/back ex in the morning.
I mainly sit at work. Don't need to lose weight or reduce any "measures" however need to tone and get FIT very very badly otherwise I fear I would not be around long enough to enjoy my ...wealth.....
As you have also freely mentioned your age, I am 48.
Regards,

Yes Salsa,

BMI = weight (kg) / [height to the power of 2 (in metres)]

I'll take it that if this thread gets a poor response, there's a lot of BMIs out there well over 25. :)

I'll admit to both spending way too much time sitting down, way too little time doing exercise and a BMI thats way too high!!

Pen

I'd like to work out what my BMI is, but I couldn't be bothered getting up to find the calculator.
I've gone and torn a ham string on the back of my leg and I find that once I've sat down I don't want to get up again. This happened about three months ago and is takeing a long time to heel.
I spend about 1 hour looking at investment stuff, and about two hours playing chess at chesscorner.net. Inwhich I'm the captain of the Australian team.

I have a program of exercise - 4 to 6 35 min brisk walks per week.

And my job involves some semi serious activity daily too.

My BMI is 35. And my BMW is 323i.

Can anyone top that?

My BMI will blow out to about 49 if I don't keep exercising!
Does BMI go up with age? My age is 49.

I spend 1 to 3 hours a day sitting at the computer ADSL
:(

G'day tfb,

I spend ~3 hours a day on personal Internet stuff and the magic figure is 22.5 (I'm 1.88m and weight is 79Kg). What does this mean?? (not much to me ;) )

Regards,

GIDDO said:
My BMI is 35. And my BMW is 323i.

Can anyone top that?

My BMI will blow out to about 49 if I don't keep exercising!
Does BMI go up with age? My age is 49.

I spend 1 to 3 hours a day sitting at the computer ADSL
:(

I have thoery BMI is linked to value of car with the ultimate low BMI measure being no car and walking everywhere.

Personally, I just fat.

Web: 1hr a day personal via cable.

Looking to change the first one ...down.

Peter 147

BMI is 22.
If I was to include time spent on net doing investment research and self education than I would average about 3hrs a day on adsl. If It is non investment related than I would say about 20 - 30 mins a day.

I generally do about an hours exercise a day which is a combination of gym and cardio fitness using a heart rate monitor.

Age 32.

Today is actually the first time I have worked out what my BMI is, so it doesn't really mean much to me. I know if I am putting on weight that shouldn't be there as I notice it when I put on pants that I haven't worn for awhile. It also works the other way after I have been training hard for a couple of months I notice my pants hanging down doing the raper look. :cool:
Cheers
Andrew

BMI 25-26, 46 yrs, typically walk for an hour a couple of times a week (with the dog), do a 15-20 minute jog a couple times a week, and other exercise (some weights, situps, and climbing practice) once or twice a week.

I do sit a lot at work, and spend maybe an hour a day on the Internet otherwise (mostly in forums, sometimes at work as well). I also spend a fair amount of time outside of work on a computer, doing things other than using the Internet.

I have cable at home and SDSL at work.

GP

I spend a lot of time on the net. And I don't spend any time exercising for the sake of exercising.

I do spend a lot of hours just working at Subway.

So time I spend at the internet is not important. Time I spend in physical activity away from the net is.

BMI dropped from 31 to 27 since starting at Subway. I spend more time on the net now than before.

My BMI is 26 and has always been. Even in the Army running 50km+ pw it was the same.

I guessing I have since replaced a lot of muscle mass with fat mass though.

Now I have a few injuries that preclude all but the gentlest of exercises. I walk the kids to school and back most days with the dog - she keeps me honest and makes me walk when I don't feel like it.

I sail a little etc.

I spent a lot of time on the internet both work and wasting time like now....

I spend 7.6 hours/day at work on the computer with occasional strolls around the office at work. At home I might spend an hour/two per day on weekends/evenings with cable internet. I was walking for 45 mins - 1 hour 3 to 4 evenings/week but to tell the truth it was doing nothing for my fitness or getting rid of flab.

Now I go to 4 boxercise classes each week with 1/2 hour of cardio workout before and after, and two weight sessions each week also with 1/2 hour cardio workout before and after. Not fit yet, but getting there. As for BMI I don't know how heavy or how tall I am - I am a size 8 - 10 though if that helps...

cheers:)

Last I checked, my BMI was 27. Have lost weight since then simply by changing my diet. Conciously not eating between meals, etc. Removing milk from my diet (which is something I've only just done in the last few weeks) is making a difference already. The belief that milk is good for you is a farce - well, the pasteurised and homogenised milk you get at the shop is. Has no nutritional benefits whatsoever and actually does more damage than good.

The most exercise I get is when I go skating - which hasn't been much since around December because it's too bloody hot.

All this has occured as a result of reading the book 'The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity' by Daniel Reid. Dunno how widely available it is, I saw it in an independent bookshop (yay for supporting small business!) and it was the only copy they had. Imagine you could find it quite easily online though.

TFB, have you heard of colonics? I've been thinking of giving it a go myself along with doing a fast every six months. Daniel Reid has also written a book around this subject called 'The Tao of Detox' which I also managed to find.

Mark

Mark Laszczuk said:
The most exercise I get is when I go skating - which hasn't been much since around December because it's too bloody hot.
Well, I go skating a LOT as the whole family competes at National level. So you would think that my BMI was quite low. I can't be bothered working it out right now, but I know it is a lot higher than it should be. I know for me, the only way to shift the weight is to do cross training & I don't enjoy that anywhere near as much as I enjoy the skating, so it inevitably dosen't end up getting done.

For those wanting to understand significance of BMI,
http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/Food_Facts/FAQ/activity_and_weight_faq.asp

Mark, re colonics, they are just a more comprehensive form of enema. I tend to think they are ok, as long as you don't do them too regularly and they are done by someone who doesn't push the pressure. Doing them more than every 3 months would be too much in my view. The risk of doing them regularly is that potassium is resorbed through the large intestine, and flushing the intestine often could impact potassium levels.

However, in favour of colonics, I understand some scientists are now using the health of the intestine's wall, as an indicator of biological age. However, it is important to realize that the best thing to keep your bowel wall young, is to maintain a high fibre diet, regular moderate intensity exercise, don't get overweight, and avoid excessive stress. Stress can mess with your peristalsis (bowel motility) even in the presence of high fibre. Sources of high fibre include very much Subway sandwiches and wraps ;)

I spend about an hour or 2 a day on the internet when not at work downloading muisc/movies and researching etc.

Age 37.

BMI is 19.

I used to run & swim every day but found I wasn't putting on the weight I need to. Would like to put on 5-8 kilo's. Have started seeing a personal trainer once a week and he has me off on doing light weights and bike riding for 20 minutes. Have a healthy diet with lots of vegies and don't deny myself chocolate or McDonalds etc. Any tips on how to gain weight would be greatly appreciated.

Kate

Regarding losing weight, many scientists advocate dietary control is 70% of the success of weight loss, while exercise is 30%. It is always easier to stick 100Cals in you mouth, then to briskly walk the ~20 minutes to burn it off.

The best exercise to burn fat is cardio, especially sessions >30 mins of continuous moderate intensity exercise. The body really ramps up its access to fat as an energy store then, by increasing adrenalin and growth hormone, and decreasing insulin.

The best form of cardio for weight loss, especially when carrying a lot of weight or having been sedentary for some time, and trying to preserve joint cartilage and avoid injury, is walking briskly in a swimming pool, then a stationery bike, then an elliptical trainer. Walking outdoors can very quickly knock your knees, hips, and back around.

When overseas working I live in a compound where we do nothing but work and exercise.

We don't watch any TV for months on end, so have alot of time on our hands. We get the following in daily ;

4km of walking 1 km of running 2 km of riding 1 km of rowing 30 squats 3 stair climbs 1 upper body session

Having a full time chef and full time maids doing all the housework also frees up lots of time for exercise and internet.

BMI is 26 when over here. Back in Australia on time off I hardly do any exercise (too busy with kids and props), plus the body is usually completely knackered by the time I get home, yet the BMI drops to 25 when I stop exercising.

Having to shop, cook and clean back in Oz takes up an extraordinary amount of the productive day.

Spend about 2 hrs a day on the net - mainly keeping up with family and our business back in Oz.

Kate, you might have to lower your goal to put on weight there. At 37, it sounds like you might just be a truly natural ectomorph.

Nevertheless, to put on weight, you want to cut your cardio back to no more than 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. And push up the weights gradually with someone who is very experienced. At your age, it will be much easier to traumatize your joints if you don't get it right.

Heavier weights will stimulate muscle growth. After a minimal build up period of 6 months, you may end up doing sets such as this:
1x8
1x5
1x3

DOn't be enticed into eating stacks of protein either. You shouldn't need anymore than 1.5grams/kg of bodyweight for optimal muscle growth.

I think you might contemplate aiming for a sense of wellbeing and strength, and enjoy your slimness.

Sam's Girl said:
I spend about an hour or 2 a day on the internet when not at work downloading muisc/movies and researching etc.

Age 37.

BMI is 19.

I used to run & swim every day but found I wasn't putting on the weight I need to. Would like to put on 5-8 kilo's. Have started seeing a personal trainer once a week and he has me off on doing light weights and bike riding for 20 minutes. Have a healthy diet with lots of vegies and don't deny myself chocolate or McDonalds etc. Any tips on how to gain weight would be greatly appreciated.

Kate

Back