Today's Tribunal Visit

Kristine.. said:
As you have approval, why not just survey and fence the new block, that way you are only renting out the house and area within the fenced yard.

Hi Kristine,

I'm still hedging by bets on a renegotiation of a setback with the Council.. one side of the site is a MAIN road.. the council wants a 9M setback.. for no apparent reason I feel.. I have a letter from the State Roads authority saying that they have no plans, ever, to widen the road.. there's also 2-3 precedents a little further up the road that demonstrate a 3M setback..So what happens on the site could still change, ie the common driveway may still end up on one side of the existing house or the other.

Either way I think I'm going to disrupt their lives, but I cant risk leaving it vacant either due to the risk of it being squatted or trashed. I'm going to be upfront with the Applicants about my plans as much as I can.

beech said:
Was wondering how much a container like that would cost to hire?
For the delivery as well as maybe having it moved from one site to another?

Not sure on hire.. they are cheap enough to buy! That one was $3K, it cost me $200 to move it from the last site to that one.. but it was only 10klm or so between the two. I'm not sure if I got mates rates on the container a friend organised it.. he's a regular wheeler 'n dealer between his huge contact of networks.

VERY secure when there's tools in it it has two very thick padlocks on the right hand door (closes last), its got 240v GPO's around the inside and some racking built in for boxes of nails, tools etc.

duncan_m said:
Blitzkrieg surveys the landscape...

You'll note there are no pictures of me actually CLEANING the house....... I left that to the experts ... or just anyone except me :p . I do note that a 5 yo is therefore counted as more expert than me - I'm fine with that.

Good on you Dunc, you certainly "picked it like a dirty nose". Everything you have predicted about the tenants and their punctuality has been spot on, ironically the more I think about it though, the more I'm happy to leave my house professionally managed. I wouldn't want to have to deal with those hassles myself (the bailiff was sweet, told them what-for).

Good luck with the cleanup mate.

duncan_m said:
Swing by on the weekend, the big skip will be there.. <fx: evil laugh>

Sorry ...... I ..... Uh ..... it's just that ...... funny story ....... ....... ....... ****, I'll give you a call, see how I go. Should be able to at some stage at least!

A good warning for potential self managers to know what the possibilities are.

I self manage properties myself. Just those ones where there's likely to be a good standard of tenant.

I hope to visit my first tribunal hearing tomorrow. We're going for vacant possession. This property has a manager- she's worth her weight in whatever simile you want. I don't begrudge aby $$ at all.

Happy Families

Ah geez..

The Father is holding the keys to the shipping container and shed for his Daughter (I have no idea why).. The Useless Boyfriend SMS'ed me last night and says he needs access to the shed but doesnt want to visit Father to get keys.. Like I'm going to manage that situation for them.. I ignored the SMS.

The skip company rang and said they cant fulfil my requirement that I booked a week ago ( :mad: doh!) I did a ring around, nothing else available in the size I want (freaking large).. so all of the stuff in the shed is going over the fence to the vacant lot next door (mine), the local seagulls will pick over it and hopefully half of it will disappear before the council start hassling me about the rest :) What a shame that its illegal to have jolly great bonfires to burn rubbish now :)

Cleaner is working on the house today and tomorrow, she's enlisted her Mother to help.. so 4 days in total of cleaning. If it looks OK on Friday afternoon I'm going to advertise it on Saturday and have an open inspection on Sunday afternoon.. the cut off for the Saturday newspaper is 6pm on Friday Night.

I've got a few tasks to do on Saturday.. empty the shed (fun part), the back door needs to be replaced, it was a cardboard door and the weather has gotten to it.

So from Eviction to Available, that'll be 9 days :D

Will post some "after-cleaner" photos tomorrow sometime! :)

Hi Duncan
Your Fleurieu Peninsula link had a real nice surfing photo except .... looks like things work differently in SA - you actually surf the waves away from the beach, like riding them out to sea. Think I like the East Coast better.
cheers ;)
crest133

crest133 said:
Hi Duncan
Your Fleurieu Peninsula link had a real nice surfing photo except .... looks like things work differently in SA - you actually surf the waves away from the beach, like riding them out to sea. Think I like the East Coast better.
cheers ;)
crest133

I tried surfing once but I think I got a dud board.

duncan_m said:
So from Eviction to Available, that'll be 9 days

Make that SEVEN days! :)

I turned up at the house this morning to meet the Carpet Cleaner.. he's a lovely man.. late 50's, neat, polite, thorough, the friendliest guy you could ever meet.. He's cleaned carpets for me on about 8 other occasions.

He takes one look around the back yard and says "Are you re-renting this?"... to cut a long story short, Mr ChemDry and his Wife, 2 ducks and a dog are looking for a new rental! So the property is now leased, at $15pw more than the previous tenants. And I have that trusty gut feeling that Mr and Mrs ChemDry are going to be some of the best Tenants I have ever let to.

They are moving in on the weekend! :)

The house is also now SPOTLESS.. I just can't believe how good a job the Cleaner has done.. its amazing!

Tomorrow all I have to do is empty the shed, replace 2 external doors, replace 1 exhaust fan and its DONE :)

I cant believe how neatly this has all fallen into place today!

Excellent news Duncan.

Isn't it funny how things sometimes work out. As one door closes another one opens.

At least you know your carpets will always be clean.

All the best with it.

Regards
Marty

duncan_m said:

I turned up at the house this morning to meet the Carpet Cleaner.. he's a lovely man.. late 50's, neat, polite, thorough, the friendliest guy you could ever meet.. He's cleaned carpets for me on about 8 other occasions.

He takes one look around the back yard and says "Are you re-renting this?"... to cut a long story short, Mr ChemDry and his Wife, 2 ducks and a dog are looking for a new rental! So the property is now leased, at $15pw more than the previous tenants. And I have that trusty gut feeling that Mr and Mrs ChemDry are going to be some of the best Tenants I have ever let to.

The house is also now SPOTLESS.. I just can't believe how good a job the Cleaner has done.. its amazing!

Tomorrow all I have to do is empty the shed, replace 2 external doors, replace 1 exhaust fan and its DONE :)

The power of positive thinking is amazing. We can all learn a lesson from this post.

Outstanding result Dunc and congrats to you. Thanks for your time with this one.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

kissfan said:
Excellent news Duncan.

Isn't it funny how things sometimes work out. As one door closes another one opens.

At least you know your carpets will always be clean.

All the best with it.

Regards
Marty
It is funny! And very true. I can see why people believe in Karma :)

Well done with the rental :)

Hi Duncan,

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, I must commend you for an excelent job & for providing us with such details/information, which can help others in a similar situation... Well done & good to see a positive outcome...

Cheers,

Manny.

Congratulations Duncan on all the hard work, blood sweat and tears.
Just shows it's true what one of the forumites has for a footnote quote (sorry can't remember who)
- " the harder I work, the luckier I get ".
You deserve it, the cosmos delivers.
cheers ;)
crest133

duncan_m said:

How good is that? No one could really ask for a better ending to this horrid situation. :)

Good to hear things are now working out. ;)

Back