Too hard for Plumber

I came across this situation recently.

Tenant said that the toilet cistern is defective and water is leaking into the bowl. I had a look at it and it was indeed not easily fixed by me. Besides I had to spend time the next day to spruce up the exterior of the house for a bank valuation. I looked up the Yellow Pages and called a plumber in a neary suburb who could come early in the morning to fix it. Told him the brand of the double flush toilet (Stylus from Bunnings) and the fault. The agreed rate was: First half hour $94 and $25 for each quarter hour after that plus 15% on top of cost of materials.

The next day, plumber called and said he could not remove the defective outlet valve cartridge and he has never seen such a setup! Plumber gave up on the job. I told tenants I would fix the problem.

I went to Bunnings had a look at the same model and the attendant plumber sold me a flat rubber outlet washer (about $4.50). I did some research on the internet and found out that the flush setting cartridge can be easily detached from the cistern outlet. It needed a turn and withdrawal vertically to uncatch it from its seating on the outlet valve. I went back to the rental property took out the cartridge and the with a long nose plier retrieved the broken retainer and the flat washer, which were wedged in the flush pipe. It was a problem that cannot be solved with the new Bunnings washer.

The next day with the broken cartridge in hand I bought an identical Dura cartridge from Reece (about $72). Back at the tenanted property it fitted neatly into the cistern. Problem solved. :)

What it cost me: 92 km of travel, plumbing knowledge acquired and $72 for parts (Bunnings' washer was refunded).

What does it say about Canberra plumber? Maybe the job was too much hassle for the plumber and there is a easier way for him to earn a living. Maybe he has never seen the model before - dubious as he is above 50 in age.
:rolleyes:

I came across this situation recently.

Tenant said that the toilet cistern is defective and water is leaking into the bowl. I had a look at it and it was indeed not easily fixed by me. Besides I had to spend time the next day to spruce up the exterior of the house for a bank valuation. I looked up the Yellow Pages and called a plumber in a neary suburb who could come early in the morning to fix it. Told him the brand of the double flush toilet (Stylus from Bunnings) and the fault. The agreed rate was: First half hour $94 and $25 for each quarter hour after that plus 15% on top of cost of materials.

The next day, plumber called and said he could not remove the defective outlet valve cartridge and he has never seen such a setup! Plumber gave up on the job. I told tenants I would fix the problem.

I went to Bunnings had a look at the same model and the attendant plumber sold me a flat rubber outlet washer (about $4.50). I did some research on the internet and found out that the flush setting cartridge can be easily detached from the cistern outlet. It needed a turn and withdrawal vertically to uncatch it from its seating on the outlet valve. I went back to the rental property took out the cartridge and the with a long nose plier retrieved the broken retainer and the flat washer, which were wedged in the flush pipe. It was a problem that cannot be solved with the new Bunnings washer.

The next day with the broken cartridge in hand I bought an identical Dura cartridge from Reece (about $72). Back at the tenanted property it fitted neatly into the cistern. Problem solved. :)

What it cost me: 92 km of travel, plumbing knowledge acquired and $72 for parts (Bunnings' washer was refunded).

What does it say about Canberra plumber? Maybe the job was too much hassle for the plumber and there is a easier way for him to earn a living. Maybe he has never seen the model before - dubious as he is above 50 in age.
:rolleyes:
The problem is these day with all the gear from China it does not last long,and it's very hard to find anything Australian made,sometimes it would be less cost time stress just to buy a new top unit of the same model 2 inlets,2 way screws, and replace the system..

The problem is these day with all the gear from China it does not last long,and it's very hard to find anything Australian made,sometimes it would be less cost time stress just to buy a new top unit of the same model 2 inlets,2 way screws, and replace the system..

You are right. Even the replacement part was produced by Reece under contract but sourced from a manufacturer in China!

we wanted to put a sink on the other side of the house with our new kitchen, running the waste under the floor boards to the old outlet. there was about 4ft of crawl space under the house.

plumbers brief was to run the copper pipe alongside this waste pipe to new spuds for the tapware, again, stringlined from the HWU on the wall near the old sink outlet.

plumber didn't want to get under the house, wanted us to RIP UP THE FLOOR BOARDS (original polished wide-board karri) so he could work form inside the house, along with cutting a large "mouse hole" where the piping went under an existing, finished, painted wall.

so yeah - he got the job.....:rolleyes:

I had to ring the parent firm and complain about my last plumbing job ... why did it take two plumbers, and an apprentice, 20 mins to stand around and discuss which way up to install a wall mounted mixer tape?

Supervisor came out and took money off the bill.

Back