Totally appauled of some people's behaviour

Or it will be a claim they have been held back, by purposely keeping them on welfare.

Nothing will change until the generation that is school now, is forced to change. Their parents are probably a lost cause, unless they personally want to change their circumstances.

Yep and the disagreements are all about how to effect that change....

good example in effect by your seniors is a good start.

yes Aaron, as I said, everyone has opinions, and most seem to think their opinion is the right one. Some opinions disagree with other others. A the end of the day all it ;eaves is with is the same questions and the same insistence by everyone that "if only they listened to me......" as far as I can see

like kathryn d suggested that perhaps the current generation is a lost cause, therefore they could not do what you suggest. Therefore would imply that they can;t become that good example, therefore that suggestion won't work.

I don';t know what it takes...

i'm not going to don a right wing or left wing cap with this.

i'm just going to say that a child's strongest and most apparent mentor are their parents and/or primary caregivers.

and change takes more than a few more dollars thrown at a problem and a nice smile for the TV cameras - it takes TIME.

lets just be thankful we still HAVE an indigenous population, unlike the USA.

I saw the 9 coverage.. there were a whole bunch of protesters banging on the glass of the restaurant. the security guards told the PM that they thought she and Mr Abbott should leave. Once they left, there werent many people outside, but the ones they were seemed very aggressive. and once they got in the car, they started trying to stop the car.

I was ashamed that Aussies would treat the PM and Opposition leader like that, and the people who were being honoured... on Australia Day as well.

It even made me feel like using one of my most hated words... un-Australian

..and particularly the guy who was holding Gillards shoe like it was a trophy. Disgusting.... and a really bad reflection on the Aboriginals who had been protesting peacefully. a very sad day...

They went out the side door and went quite quickly taking protestors (aka rioters) by surprise most were still out the front.

So it was a tip off by a Labor advisor... but the staff member did not in any way suggest or encourage violence or demonstration :rolleyes:.

WOW!

So it was a tip off by a Labor advisor... but the staff member did not in any way suggest or encourage violence or demonstration :rolleyes:.
:rolleyes: I agree ::rolleyes:

------

Totally disgusted that so many children were at the forefront of today's appalling behaviour.

They have definately set their cause back years, any sympathy from me has dried up today. :mad:

They have definately set their cause back years, any sympathy from me has dried up today. :mad:

I was involved with an event with the PM a few hours before this where a local aboriginal elder gave a welcome to country speech - I felt genuinely welcomed by her - it literally gave me goose bumps.

What a difference a couple of hours makes - agree it has set back reconciliation by years. It was appalling behaviour, both by the protestors and Julia's media advisor.

I do wonder if the date of Australia Day exacerbates tensions.

I think it's just an opportune time for a tiny minority with an axe to grind, to push their personal agendas.

The other day a university professor, in Sydney I think, announced the results of a study she did to determine if those that flew a flag on Australia day were more racist than those that didn't. Now, you've got to ask yourself WHY would someone choose to do that :rolleyes:.

For most, Australia day is a day of coming together to celebrate this great country they love, nothing more.

They should not have to put up with the idiotic behaviour of a few.

Last edited:
That said, there is a correlation between being a drunk obnoxious cretins and having a southern cross tattoo and wearing the flag as a cape.

That said, there is a correlation between being a drunk obnoxious cretins and having a southern cross tattoo and wearing the flag as a cape.

And they're no different.

At least the media is giving that group no attention - or they were simply outshone this year.

The tent protestors and the professor deserved the same, none (although a bit hard in the case of the tent protestors :mad:).

WOW!

They thought they'd get smart, but the whole thing backfired on them.

Having said that, it is starting to get boring to see Abbott's tongue beat his brain when it comes to public life. You'd think he'd learn his lesson by now.

They thought they'd get smart, but the whole thing backfired on them.

Having said that, it is starting to get boring to see Abbott's tongue beat his brain when it comes to public life. You'd think he'd learn his lesson by now.

Abbott was misquoted by the advisor (hence why the protesters reacted), and later the media.

There wasn't anything wrong with his speech.

Being in the position that he's in, I think he should have addressed the topic a little more carefully. I know what he meant in his address, and sure, hindsight is always 20/20, but as the leader of a political party, he seems to suffer from a bad case of foot in mouth far too frequently. Take his recent address during the Danish royal couple visit. *facepalm*

Yeah, maybe it does?

But then, if aboriginals resent being invaded, then really it's only the few full blooded aboriginals that still live at Alice Springs and Tannent Creek and Catherine and a few other places who can complain. I didn't see any full blood aboriginals in the protesters. There were plenty who were whiter then me after I've got a tan. So they all have white blood in them, some a bit, most a lot. Most would be mainly white, with a little bit of aboriginal. So it is a fact that if any non full blood aboriginal resents being invaded, it means they would rather not exist and would never have been born into this life.

Weird.

See ya's.

What were the findings of the study ?

It was a study by anthropologist Farida Fozdar.

She says Australian flags on cars are a common sight in the West.

"I think that's partly to do with the fact that here, Australia Day is a bit more of a celebration in terms of the fireworks and so on," she said.

"Clearly they were trying to say something by doing this and so I wanted to know what exactly were they trying to say."

That's what she does, (she got death threats for just doing her work btw), and her studies were taken out of context by many:

an·thro·pol·o·gy ( n thr -p l -j ). n. 1. The scientific study of the origin, the behavior, and the physical, social, and cultural development of humans.

WA University anthropologist Farida Fozdar says those flying the flags expressed more racist opinions on a number of issues.

"People who had flags on their cars, 43 per cent of them believe the White Australia Policy had saved Australia from problems that other countries had experienced," she said.

"Fifty-six per cent of those with flags on their cars feared their culture and its most important values were in danger compared to 34 per cent of non-flag flyers."

Professor Fozdar says of the people surveyed who do fly flags, the common factor was fear.

"You can't actually ask outright a question about 'do you feel fearful?' I guess the question that I asked that was closest to that was the one about fearing the loss of one's cultures and most important values," she said.

"Certainly 56 per cent of people with car flags agreed with that statement, but there was definitely a feeling of, I guess, being under siege."

Article here, I heard her speak on the ABC:

Car flags

There is a place for more public education about the value of diversity to Australia to encourage people to feel more positive about that diversity.

WA University anthropologist Farida Fozdar

She says the majority of those polled - whether they flew Australian flags or not - had negative views of Aboriginal people, Muslim Australians and asylum seekers.

"I asked a question about some of the minorities within Australia who tend to bear the brunt of Australian racism," she said.

"There were a lot of people who felt negative towards Muslim Australians particularly and towards asylum seekers particularly."

But Professor Fozdar says according to her research it is simplistic to believe all of those with flags on their cars or trucks hold racist attitudes.

"You had flag flyers who were expressing non-racist views, so I wouldn't like people to go away from hearing about this research thinking, 'oh well all people who have flags on their cars are racist'. That's certainly not the finding," she said.

Back