Towel rails keep falling off

So we have this nice new house, very pretty and all that, well and truly still under builder's warranty and they'll be back in about 6 weeks to fix up any issues.

But the blasted towel rails keep falling off. You put em back on, they fall off. Put em on upside down, they fall off. Put something behind the brackets so there's more for the screws to to into, they fall off. They last a day or two each time, then fall off.

Every time you reattach them they feel rock solid, so I think all the builder would do is reattach them, and then we'll be stuck with the cost of replacing all the towel rails in the house (not cheap) or replace just the offending ones and put up with some mismatched ones in a brand new house.

Anyone got any ways to keep a towel rail actually STUCK to the wall?

I've got a stud finder. They cost bugger all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stud_finder

If you've got a wooden or steel frame house, find the studs or noggins with the stud finder and screw the screws into something solid. You won't get towel holders to stay if the are just into the wall and aren't into something solid like a frame member.

I use a stud finder all the time for hanging pictures and other things on the wall too.

See ya's.

Uhhh..... they are for hanging towels by the way - not for kids to hang off and play.....or adults to use for chin ups :D

The Y-man

p.s. we stuck ours on with liquid nails - but then the paint gave way!!

These things are on those little metal brackets, VERY much screwed into the studs ... but however the towel rails are stuck to the brackets they just don't stick! Its a little screw that goes under the towel rail and clamps against the bracket that is screwed into the wall.

Yman - I'm thinking we have the 'wrong' size towels. They're double towel rails, both of them have two bath sheets on. You take your towel off, the towel rail comes too. The single towel rails/hand towel ring/toilet roll holders don't come off.

If it wasn't for the fact that towel rails all seem to cost upwards of $100 each and that they are brand new, I'd just get new ones. I can't really take these ones back ...

Think I can complain to the builder and get the lot replaced or will they give me some line about the double towel rails only being rated for a 30x40cm hand towel weighing less than 100 grams?

It is freakin annoying to spend over $100k and get towel rails that don't stay on the walls :mad:

Those little screws that hold them on are often called grub screws, I think.

It would appear that they are not grabbing the shaft of the bracket.

Maybe they're too short? Get longer ones.

Sometimes there is an indent on the shaft that the grub screws nestle into to keep things in place. Can you locate this? I've seen brackets put in upside down so that the receiving indent is on the top and the screw is on the bottom i.e. they're on opposite sides.

I've solved this problem by getting longer grub screws and putting a hole in the shaft that they can be recessed into.

These things are on those little metal brackets, VERY much screwed into the studs ... but however the towel rails are stuck to the brackets they just don't stick! Its a little screw that goes under the towel rail and clamps against the bracket that is screwed into the wall.

Rumpled, those screws are called "grub screws" and if they are put in the right position, they'll hold on very nicely. However, if the ends of the towel rails are a little off centre when the grub screws are screwed in, then they will miss the fitting and go off to one side. They'll hang on for a bit, then let go.

You need one of those jewellers screwdriver sets (if you don't have a set already) that you pick up for $2 in one of those bargain shops, to get a tiny screwdriver to fit the grub screw head. Then muck around and get the position right, or get the builder back to do it. ;)

*edit* Ah I see depreciator has the same idea.

Its not always the screws, it may be the towel rail itself. I had a problem with the towel rail in an IP where the issue was how the rail connected to the brackets in the wall. The brackets were screwed solid into the wall, but the rail was fixed to these with a dodgy pointy allen key screw which could not support the load. I got a an entire new towel rail that had a much better design and have not had a problem since.

I also had a problem with the toilet roll holder, so I dyna-bolted it to the wall! You could hang off it and it wouldn't come off :D

Last edited:
Sometimes there is an indent on the shaft that the grub screws nestle into to keep things in place.
Yup, that's what we've got. Amazingly they are up the right way but I'll check that they're aligned right next time one falls off (ie, tomorrow)

And then start breaking out the BIG screws from the shed *evil grin*

Should go post on the "what do you expect for $2M" thread with "solidly attached towel rails" lol

Love to know what brand these are so I can avoid them in the future, I guess its somewhere in the vast list of fixtures and finishes. Not the sort of problem you expect to have in a shiny new house.

Put them on with "Wallmates" the wall will rip apart before they come off! I wouldn't use any over type of plasterboard fixer, and my god I have used heaps.

Hi,

Go to bunnings and get wall mate plugs (10X50mm or 8X40mm) depending upon hole you have in the wall.

Then get appropriate screws and just drill them in. Screws when you go in would hold onto the plug and plug would expand in the wall thereby holding off onto the wall and not falling off.

If unsure, take the pics in your iphone and show it to any one in bunnings and they can guide you.

Whole thing would just cost you 10$ depending upon wall plus and screws you buy.

good luck

Regards,
TV

Remember folks, these towel rails are UNDER WARRANTY for about 6 more weeks ...

.. so not sure I'd want to drill *through* the towel rails into the wall ... they're brand new and very pretty and if I did something like that I'd be stuck with it.

And I don't have an iphone! Feeling very technologically challenged, only one (brand new) camera in the house at the moment and can't even get the photos off the card until I go buy a new card reader, as I discovered yesterday. Getting on time for a trip to the city to get a reader that takes big flash cards.

TV/Ozsupra,
The problem isn't with the wall fixing. Rumpled Elf said clearly that the brackets were screwed firmly to studs:

VERY much screwed into the studs ...

The problem is that the rails are not staying on the brackets.

Scott

These things are on those little metal brackets, VERY much screwed into the studs ...
Check that the metal bracket is flat on the wall, sometimes if they're overtightened they will sink into the plaster causing a bow.

If so this causes a different angle on the "hook" bits that the outer part of the towel rail clamps to, meaning it will feel tight when the screw is tightened, but is not fully engaged at the top which allows it to slide off once there is a bit of weight on it.

TV/Ozsupra,
The problem isn't with the wall fixing. Rumpled Elf said clearly that the brackets were screwed firmly to studs:

The problem is that the rails are not staying on the brackets.

Scott[/QUOTE

seems to me that the brackets are too far apart and the grub screws arent contacting the rail correctly

We bought those type of rails a few houses ago ... waste of blimin' money and useless things. It's not the brackets at either end falling off - it's the rod in the middle as only held on by one little bracing screw.

Hubby was forever putting the rail back up - and he's really handy. Those rails are so pathetic they should never be sold.

Solution? Get completely new towel rails where the rail goes into a tunnel on the bracket at either end.

If you keep the current towel rails they will never work.

Back