Tradesman damage

Hi,

I had some tree people in and in the process of stump grinding some bamboo, they damaged the bottom rail of a colourbond fence. It wasn't a complex job or falling tree and reasonable care should have taken care of it. Haven't had their response yet but interested in others experiences and tolerance of damage....

Cheers

I honestly feel that is damage that I would wear as a homeowner.

If a stump grinder can't get decent access to the stump then some damage is probably inevitable.

The bottom rail of a colourbond fence is easily replaced by a handy person. I think they were about $35 to buy new from our supplier.

I honestly feel that is damage that I would wear as a homeowner.

If a stump grinder can't get decent access to the stump then some damage is probably inevitable.

The bottom rail of a colourbond fence is easily replaced by a handy person. I think they were about $35 to buy new from our supplier.

Access was not an issue in this case. I had them remove a large Strelitzia and bamboo and they left the debris covering major parts that they'd missed as well. I don't have a problem with $35 (though, it is really $100 when you include labour) but am a little cheezed that they didn't complete the job and damaged the fence.

Just checking I'm not being unreasonable - it was a >$1000 job.

Well I guess you can only ask and see what they say.

The fact that they didn't complete the job isn't good, perhaps you could ask them to finish it, otherwise the bamboo will grow again. Did the quote not include removing the ground up plants?

It does seem like a high price too. How long did it take them to complete the job?

Well I guess you can only ask and see what they say.

The fact that they didn't complete the job isn't good, perhaps you could ask them to finish it, otherwise the bamboo will grow again. Did the quote not include removing the ground up plants?

It does seem like a high price too. How long did it take them to complete the job?

(I hear a lesson learnt here!)

The quote was $1100 to clear a defined number of plants - to which clear means (to me!) remove ground up debris.

We'll have the maate discussion tomorrow - will let you know how it goes.

I find that most trades don't tend to include rubbish removal unless it is specified when you get the quote. Dumping costs are too expensive just to throw the service in for good measure. At least that has been my experience. I find that I need to check and ask "will you be removing the debris?" and not take it for granted.

Back