Triplex Design - Advice Please

hi all

I've been proposed a design for a triplex development. just wondering if you guys could comment on the following plus any other improvements to the design.

so far these are the points to raise with the designer:

1. ensuite vanity to be fully enclosed
2. overheads to the kitchen
3. bed 3 in unit 1 seems just a touch too small at 1 side at 2640mm
4. mixer taps in ensuite and bathroom - what do you folks think?
5. media room - do you folks recommend enclosing this room or put a door in the hallway leading into the kitchen?
6. what is a reasonable width allowance for the kitchen fridge cavity?
7. what is a reasonable width allowance for the dishwasher recess?

are there any other design aspects i could improve on?

cheers and TIA.

Jerry

Attachments

• triplex-design.pdf
    178.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
605mm cavity for dishwasher.
950-1000mm Fridge cavity (where possible, consider making the fridge cavity deeper so that the fridge can be pushed back flush with the rest of the cabinets, not necessary, but a nice to have).

I agree, leave your options open for the media room to be 4th bedroom with double doors, or perhaps sliding doors that recess into the wall cavity (very neat), this increases your pool of potential buyers/tennants.

2650mm for a 3rd bedroom is fine, I just built one at 2700mm wide and it doesn't feel too small for a kids room with an inbuilt wardrobe.

I agree with leaving the media room option as a fourth bed. You might even want to consider doors for noise. If the kids are watching a movie while the parents are trying to sleep, would doors help with the noise?

When I look at house plans, I look for "flow". I have inspected some 3x2's lately that were like rabbit warrens. You would think that would not be possible in a tiny house... but it really is!

Anyway, the units look well thought out to me and IMO, have good flow. They look to use the limited space of the small blocks effectively, so take these comments as me being picky :) The thing I hate in any house is "dead area". IMO, your units don't have much dead area, but in unit 1, there might be a little bit between the bath and toilet going into the laundry. I feel like this area could be more efficient but I can't think how. On unit 1, I also don't like how the master bed door opens onto the WIR door. But that is really minor.

The only other thing is in unit 3, I would probably pull the ensuite door back a bit if you can so that the door doesn't open up so much over the window. Although, that door needs to be balanced between the ens and area outside the WIR. If you go too far toward the WIR door, the area outside the WIR will feel cramped. Go too far towards the ens and the ens entrance will feel cramped.

I agree with leaving the media room option as a fourth bed.

Anyway, the units look well thought out to me and IMO, have good flow. They look to use the limited space of the small blocks effectively, so take these comments as me being picky :) The thing I hate in any house is "dead area". IMO, your units don't have much dead area, but in unit 1, there might be a little bit between the bath and toilet going into the laundry. I feel like this area could be more efficient but I can't think how. On unit 1, I also don't like how the master bed door opens onto the WIR door. But that is really minor.

The only other thing is in unit 3, I would probably pull the ensuite door back a bit if you can so that the door doesn't open up so much over the window. Although, that door needs to be balanced between the ens and area outside the WIR. If you go too far toward the WIR door, the area outside the WIR will feel cramped. Go too far towards the ens and the ens entrance will feel cramped.

very good pickup perthguy, i didnt notice these issues until you mentioned about the doors. thanks for that.

perthguy, do you think it beneficial to move the alfresco piers to effectively expand the floor area? i.e. unit 1,2,3 move pier to flush along the dining wall

It depends. Bigger alfresco areas are always better but you have trade off against the additional cost. So, yes if it does not cost too much more.

The other issue is site coverage because you have a minimum open space requirement and you don't want to go over that by increasing your alfresco to the point where you no longer comply.

Something you would need to check is if alfresco is included in covered outdoor area. If it is then you might be ok on your outdoor area/open space requirements.

alfresco will be included in the open space calculations not building footprint if open on two sides i believe.

cheers

What's the site coverage % on these designs?

I would suggest the following
- make the WIR smaller. This can be contentious but my experience is that if you lopped off one side of the hanging (make it L shaped) and added it to the ensuite so you could have a 900 x 1200 shower and a double vanity THEN then ensuite will sell or rent it for you. Kitchens and ensuites sell/rent houses, WIR do not though are nice to haves.
- shove house C all the way to the right hand side border to get more useable space on the North side. That 1m on the RHS is going to do nothing anyway.
- not sure I like there the minor toilet is in House C - perhaps move linen out of laundry and wiggle it into there?
- I agree with the media/4th bedroom thoughts. I have one of these in one of my triplexes and yes it's multi purpose. It can be closed and becomes a bedroom or a lounge or study or media. For renting probably market it as a bedroom.

I agree with putting either a single or double door on media room. Costs little and makes it multiuse and more soundproof.

If intended for rental consider a 1/2 height brick wall on the fixed side of showers. It reduces the glass to break and makes it a lot stronger. Also if done with glass on outside edge it gives a decent shelf for shampoo etc. Last time it was a null cost and before that only about $200.

Mixers in shower are nice but everytime I have had them quoted been rather expensive to add.

Dishwasher recess. Last house I had 610mm deep and it was a pain to get one to fit. Most of them needed 700mm.

Personally I would move the end master bedroom window so it is on different wall. Current location it is going to get car lights shining directly into it.

Personally I would move the end master bedroom window so it is on different wall. Current location it is going to get car lights shining directly into it.

If you are referring to the back unit it has to have a 'habitable room' have surveillance of the driveway. The window might be able to be changed to 2 long skinny ones or even a highlight window (perhaps) to try and reduce the lights up the driveway beams

I would suggest the following
- not sure I like there the minor toilet is in House C - perhaps move linen out of laundry and wiggle it into there?

you're absolutely right about the toilet in unit 3, it's in an unusual spot. each time someone takes a crap at night the person in bed 2 is going to hear that toilet flush.

Back