Trying to buy a car.

I'm in the market for a car. I'm looking at a particular make model and year.
There are quite a few for sale on the various car sales sites. What I need to know is how much would I expect a car yard to discount on a $ 30k car? I won't be trading in and it will be a Novated lease arrangement.

Also are the old end of month sales target systems still going? Is it better to hit the salesman at the end of the month?

I've been in a similar position myself recently and can honestly say as well as negotiating hard yourself, if its new you may as well cover all bases and get an obligation free quote from one of the many car brokers. They'll be able to get you fleet prices as well as negotiating any little extras like free floor mats, full tank of fuel, delivery to your door and free roadside assistance etc. Whilst sure its different for every model, I just bought my wife a new VW and got it for $28K all inclusive from $32.5K, so about 14% off.

Depends on brand, model and dealer. Generally 10% is a good spot, but some cars you might only get 5% and others 20%.,

What brand?

As Ideo said, its probably about 10-20% (or 3-4k on a 30k vehicle). Where you can do really well is select all the extras you want, and then have them included FOC. Yards make a lot on selling over priced extras - which cost them next to nothing.

Yes, end of month remains the best time - but not right at the end of the month. Probably about the 25th. If they have already hit their targets, they wont be so enthusiastic about doing to much for you. You want them to be close to the target, but not yet over the line. You need to tell them that you "have" to buy a car today because .... It shows that you are serious and will be signing on the bottom line TODAY (really gets their heart pumping those words).

The strongest strategy you have remains this. Right at the death knock, when all is nearly agreed to and the contract drawn up but not signed, just say - "its still too much. I really need to you reduce the price by another X" (and make it a reasonable sum (ie $2k).
The salesperson will 'oo' and 'ahh' and claim this is the best they can do, blah blah blah. And finally I need to check with my manager. He will come back and say "sorry - no can do, this is the best offer we can provide - blah blah blah". At this point, and this is critical stand up. Say thank you and sorry that we couldn't come to an agreement - I will need to keep looking, but we really need to go, as we need a car today...
Standing up is essential, as it removes your 'mental' lock of having to sign this contract.
His world will collapse and he will do one of two things.
1) he will call your bluff and let you walk out.
2) he will run to your manager (this is what you want) and he will come back and knock off another (smaller) amount to what you said you asked for. You then need to decide if this is sufficient.

If he lets you walk, then walk. Just walk out. If he lets you go, you know that you are very close to his critical limit. He is letting the sale go at the price you want it for. Go and have a coffee for 45mins (no less), then call him and say you have found another car, but its not in quite as good condition and you would rather his, if only you could come to an agreement on the price blah blah blah. He will do something for you.

Its now up to you and how patient you are, and if saving a couple of thousand $$ is worth this time and effort. When I was young I used to do this for fun and was always car shopping for friends and family. It was my excitement for a weekend. Now - I just cant be arsed and walk in and say I want this, with these extras, how much - and if I can afford it I take it.

Enjoy.

Blacky

edit - just re-read your post and see that you are financing by novated lease. So some of the above may not be applicable. Cash with no trade in always gives you the strongest position.

you are trying to novate a 4 or 5 year old car... I wouldn't have thought you could do this? is the fiancne company ok with that?

wouldn't the amount you save in interest by buying a holden on their promo 0.5% interest rate outweight the savings of an old car anyway?

I sourced my own car for my novated lease.

I managed to get a car with a 8month waiting list on the road for less than the RRP, including a couple of extras, using some of the methods used by Blacky except over the phone - but it took some time.

It was a dealer order, and there were a couple of similar ones in the country which helped.

Just played the dealers against one another - in the end it came down to A dealer quoted me X. If you can beat it you have a deal.

You have to pay RRP, which for a Holden is crazy (as you can often get up to 10% or more of RRP just by asking).

I am looking at the SS which they have out at $40500 drive away at the moment... I dont think you will negotiate much lower than that anyway yet the finance saving is about $3000pa

Audi A4 wagon around 2008/9

Dont buy it. Expensive to keep. Expensive to repair. Massive Depreciation which admitted you will get the benefit of.

A good friend has one, the All Road Model and sold it and bought a Subaru XV. $40k and simply brilliant.

I was very interested in low KM BMW X5. You know diesel with 60k km but say 3 to 4 year old. Get them for around $40k as opposed to $70K plus new. Then I was told average service $800 to $1000 and the 60K service s $5000.

Regards Peter 14.7

Dont buy it. Expensive to keep. Expensive to repair. Massive Depreciation which admitted you will get the benefit of.

A good friend has one, the All Road Model and sold it and bought a Subaru XV. $40k and simply brilliant.

I was very interested in low KM BMW X5. You know diesel with 60k km but say 3 to 4 year old. Get them for around $40k as opposed to $70K plus new. Then I was told average service $800 to $1000 and the 60K service s $5000.

Regards Peter 14.7

I've had 3 higher mileage euro cars, and working my way through my 4th at the moment.

First was a BMW 318i sedan with 280k on the clock when I sold it (bought at 170). Replaced a radiator which was no more expensive than a Mazda item, but that was the only repair. Maintenance was same price as a Honda/Mazda/Subaru

Had a BMW 318is coupe after that - 150 - 250k. Replaced an electric window motor and that was all.

Followed that with a Audi S3 from 80k-160k. That was a bit more costly, but a lot of that was spent on getting uprated and performance parts fitted. Actual servicing etc was fine.

Currently working my way through a Golf R which I just had to replace the tyres on.

The whole "euros are expensive" only really applies if you get a car serviced at a dealership. A good independent garage will be 50-60% of the cost.

Hi Dylan

As a car salesman myself prices all depend on what car brand all those types of thing. The lxuxury brands such as bmw merc-benz lexus etc, have bigger margins than your normal brands such as Holden, Ford, Toyota etc. From a sales person's point of view you dont always need to play hard ball explain what you want get all the information and when you have decided if that is the right car then go as hard as you want there is real no % on what you should start at just get to the price you want and are comfortable and try get things thrown in. eg Tint, mats, reverse camera, sensors. and things like that.

Hope that helps, what car are you looking for??

I've had 3 higher mileage euro cars, and working my way through my 4th at the moment.

First was a BMW 318i sedan with 280k on the clock when I sold it (bought at 170). Replaced a radiator which was no more expensive than a Mazda item, but that was the only repair. Maintenance was same price as a Honda/Mazda/Subaru

Had a BMW 318is coupe after that - 150 - 250k. Replaced an electric window motor and that was all.

Followed that with a Audi S3 from 80k-160k. That was a bit more costly, but a lot of that was spent on getting uprated and performance parts fitted. Actual servicing etc was fine.

Currently working my way through a Golf R which I just had to replace the tyres on.

The whole "euros are expensive" only really applies if you get a car serviced at a dealership. A good independent garage will be 50-60% of the cost.

Thanks but What about parts for newer models. Who you gunna call? Peter

Back