Underneath wood panelling

Hi
Just wondering about panelling - is it usually just put over the top of the internal wall or is it used instead of gyprock?

Our IP has one panelled wall behind a wood fire & was wondering what could be behind if we were to remove it - any ideas?

Loungeroom.jpg

Cheers
Stella

Hi
Just wondering about panelling - is it usually just put over the top of the internal wall or is it used instead of gyprock?

Our IP has one panelled wall behind a wood fire & was wondering what could be behind if we were to remove it - any ideas?

Cheers
Stella
Drill a small hole in the wall and see what comes out.willair.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does it sound like when you knock on it? Does it sound very hollow? You should be able to tell the difference between wood panelling (which for internal use is often quite thin) applied to a framework, or applied to gyprock. If there is a power point in that wall, take it off, and see if there is any thickness of gyprock / plaster - it will be obvious if it exists.

Also, if you can see patterns of nails or screws about 450mm or 600mm apart as you work your way across the wall, this may indicate that it is actually fixed directly to the stud work. Studs are either of these distances apart (and have been for some time) and I doubt you would nail panelling to plaster or gyprock anyway. If there's no visible fixings, its a good indication the panelling is glued, however it could also be glued to the stud work but that's not highly likely.

The best test would be to take a power point off if one exists. Then it's reversible, and you won't have to go drilling holes into it.

The best test would be to take a power point off if one exists. Then it's reversible, and you won't have to go drilling holes into it.
Quite simple if you are a sparky,but no-one should ever touch anything elec unless they are a tradesman,and that's from someone who was in the building game for30 years,but hey you seem to know all the text books means nothing if you touch a live wire and get booted haly way across the room and into the wall.with a stunned look on you face..willair..

Thanks guys - why didnt I think of something as simple as these two ideas!

I'm not in a hurry to do anything - yet - was just wondering & planning at this stage so cheers & I'll try to nut it out a bit more myself next time:eek:

Cheers
Stella

i've seen the panelling painted over in a chrisp white, and it actually came out really good - so maybe you don't need to remove it after all. just do the proper prep work so that the paint sticks.

Back