Update on painted laminex[mdf]

If any one has painted laminex or mdf [wood grain look]kitchen/bathroom cupboards in the last couple of years
How is it holding up?
would you do it again?
l,ve got some lovely very very very dark brown wood grain look cupboard doors to attend to. They are in the kitchen.
There is a lot of them so it would cost a fair bit to replace, but then again l dont want to have to repaint often.
Some of the doors have that ripple tin as an insert.
I tell ya some of those home renovater tv shows have a lot to answer for.
cheers yadreamin

If any one has painted laminex or mdf [wood grain look]kitchen/bathroom cupboards in the last couple of years.
Yep I did 2 kitchens in the one house that were both gloss in one & matt in the other and both very dark brown wood-grain pattern laminex. That White Knight stuff worked a treat. We also replaced the handles with stainless steel - looked good with the white paint
How is it holding up?
18 months later - still going fine.
would you do it again?
Yes, absolutely
l,ve got some lovely very very very dark brown wood grain look cupboard doors to attend to. They are in the kitchen.
Most kitchen cupboards are :) The primer is light yellow and after 2 coats of white - well they look totally white.
There is a lot of them so it would cost a fair bit to replace, but then again l dont want to have to repaint often.
Should be fine if you follow the instructions on the tins
Some of the doors have that ripple tin as an insert.
You mean corragated iron?....Yikes!
I tell ya some of those home renovater tv shows have a lot to answer for.
cheers yadreamin
Yes, absolutely. I was in NZ a couple of years ago and they had take-offs of our programs over here on TV. One batchelor pad they did up prior to auction they actually painted over wall-paper. Geeze...

Go for it.
Aimy

Painted over wallpaper is fine as long as it is in good nick. We are about to paint over some wallpaper in an IP.

Wylie

Painted over wallpaper is fine as long as it is in good nick. We are about to paint over some wallpaper in an IP.

Wylie
Yeah Wylie, I agree. Especially looks good if the wallpaper is embossed and painted in a china white - very classy.

The stuff in this guys place wasn't though. It was lifting on the edges and although the end colour looked fine, I wouldn't want to be the new owner after 12 months :)

Cheers,
Aimy

Thanks for that. Aimjoy if you dont want to post the product name that you used on the forum can you please pm it to me.
Not sure how l am going to work around the corrigated iron though:eek:
cheers yadreamin

Thanks for that. Aimjoy if you dont want to post the product name that you used on the forum can you please pm it to me.
Not sure how l am going to work around the corrigated iron though:eek:
cheers yadreamin

Its White Knight Laminex paint mate. Plenty of threads in this forum about it too.

Cheers,
Aimy

there is no need to go white unless you want to.

we did grapeshot on our bottom/floor cupboards, fireworks on our benchtop and raw cotton on the splashback and top cupboards. Grapeshot is a dark muted fushia, fireworks is a dark greybrown with a hint of purple and raw cotton is a warm beige. Looks great in my opinion. Very modern and more interesting than all white.

We had a kermit green benchtop with clashing pale grey/blue/green pastel cupboards. It was really foul. Especially since we have just renovated the rest of the place in warm colours, reds, purples etc

You can apparently use the tile paint on laminate too. The tile paint has an even higher gloss level and also seems even more durable. Both the tile and laminate paints have taken between a week and a month to harden properly, but that is in a cold climate.

You can also use WK Grip Lock primer. It is a white base instead of cream and also is available in 4L tines. That is the major downside of the WK stuff. Mostly you ca only get 1L tins. We are on to tin number 8 of tile paint here. Hepas of tiles, 450sqm house. With teh Griplock you can also get it tinted if you need a special grey undercoat for any intense colours. Won't need it for any whites though.

Back