Urban Cowboy's wife's inspiring journey

I'm so sorry to hear of the challenges you guys have been dealing with.

We had a young member of the family suffer severe head injuries, massive stroke, it took her time, dedication, perserverence/patience/frustration, determination and a lot of rehab to get back on her feet, (with a lot of support), but it is possible.

The brain is such an incredible organ, rewiring, reconnecting, practise and practise, building upon...we were all told it was such an unlikely, and an impossible task ahead for her, but she has done it.

Sending best wishes and thoughts to you all for the journey ahead.

I am so shocked that something so terrible could happen to such a young family. Although I have never met you, you are a part of my extended SS family and I wish your wife a speedy return home and eventual recovery. Take care.

Hi Grant

I'm so sorry to hear that Nicole has been through such a dreadful and traumatic time - my thoughts and prayers are with her and with you and your family. I hope that Nic's recovery is as speedy and as complete as it possibly can be.

It's a good sign that her sense of humour is still there - and that she is keeping you in line! :p

From the 'south side of the ditch' ..... ;)

All my very best wishes to the UC family.
Lynn

I've been yapping with grant on and off about things since this happened and wish him and his family the best.

The main thing I would also remind people is to make sure you have decent insurance - not just medical but also personal. If something happens to you look at what it can do not just financially, but to your family as well.

thanks again folks to all who have posted in the last couple of days...much appreciated.

I will back Spectre 100% on his comments - we would be in a whole world of hurt without private health cover and decent insurances.

thanks again
Grant:)

Sorry to hear about this,and i hope all the best for your Wife-Yourself- and your young family,i have this on my desk it may help ..good luck willair..

[SIZE=+2]IF.....[/SIZE] Rudyard Kipling

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Nice one Will.....

Grant, I was so sorry to hear this news when another forumite mentioned it.

If I can ever do anything for you, don't hesitate to ask (will PM you). I worked at Rosemount and PAH Rehab years ago and have some insight into the journey Nicole and you are on.

I am having a break from SS for the time being....focusing on the things I can change.....accepting the things I can't.....and trying to get wiser so I know the difference.

A ruptured AAA (Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm) is an often sudden and unexpected event with a mortality rate of up to 90%.

And, a word of warning; this is almost 100% exclusive to people who are middle-aged (35-60), over-weight, smokers, high blood pressure and sedentary.

Usually, but not always; the whole package comes together in one person. I saw it every second day when I worked in the ICU at Frankston Hospital. I did almost 3 years there.

And as YYM says; the mortality rate is very high. The warnings; there aren't any, but the first sign is usually strong lower back pain, and you have about 90 minutes to get to the hospital before death.

So, if you are even only ONE of the above, start to get serious about your health.

And, a word of warning; this is almost 100% exclusive to people who are middle-aged (35-60), over-weight, smokers, high blood pressure and sedentary.

Usually, but not always; the whole package comes together in one person. I saw it every second day when I worked in the ICU at Frankston Hospital. I did almost 3 years there.

And as YYM says; the mortality rate is very high. The warnings; there aren't any, but the first sign is usually strong lower back pain, and you have about 90 minutes to get to the hospital before death.

So, if you are even only ONE of the above, start to get serious about your health.

A pulsating abdominal sentation is often present for some time before rupture occurs. So this coupled with pain in the lower back can be what distinguishes it from simple backpain. A physical or ultrasound can usually detect it if one has formed.

The other thing is that the chances of this increases with age (not specifically in the 35-60yo group) and with those with atherosclerosis.

Having been a smoker in the past and early hardening of the arteries also puts you in a higher risk category unfortunately.

Just thought I'd post a brief update. Nicole is certainly on a long road, and will be at least another 2-3 months in hospital before her situation is reviewed and the long-term implications considered.

On a positive note, she is being transferred to another hospital where Grant is confident she will receive more appropriate care. (Although it does require him to cross the river to visit. :eek:)

Grant, you're doing an amazing job holding it all together. I can't imagine how physically and emotionally exhausted you must be. I hope you are getting really excellent logistical support, and that those closest to you are ensuring you get the occasional break.

<LECTURE>I know it's important to hold it all together, but if you don't take care of yourself, you'll eventually snap. So don't feel bad about taking regular time out; it's essential to ensure your family is held together by a healthy Dad.</LECTURE>

Back