US credit ratings cut to AA

This will increase their borrow costs and interest payments, with an ever increasing government debt.
But the downgrade was as expected. Even though it's by S&P at this stage, and the other two have left it at AAA, it's only a matter of time.

It was the first time the US was downgraded since it first received a triple-A rating from Moody's in 1917

But there are still some on Somersoft who see rainbows and lollipops for Australia property, when the world is barely keeping it's head above water. Europe has one bailout after another, and now US gets downgraded.
I see the 30% property correction slowing taking shape.

But there are still some on Somersoft who see rainbows and lollipops for Australia property, when the world is barely keeping it's head above water. Europe has one bailout after another, and now US gets downgraded.
I see the 30% property correction slowing taking shape.

If by 'slowly taking shape' you mean over a period of several years, then I agree. We're well due for general property market stagnation, and it should be a good time for investors to go bargain hunting.

EDIT: http://www.news.com.au/business/bre...de-threat-report/story-e6frfkur-1226109635513 Interesting...

If by 'slowly taking shape' you mean over a period of several years, then I agree. We're well due for general property market stagnation, and it should be a good time for investors to go bargain hunting.

EDIT: http://www.news.com.au/business/bre...de-threat-report/story-e6frfkur-1226109635513 Interesting...

Interesting... Of course the US government is going to try and fight back on the S&P decision. But all 3 rating agencies have the US on negative watch, so if not a confirmed downgrade this time, then before the year is out in any case.

Several years. We started in July 2010 will the flattening out of prices. Not slowly we are seeing a initial slow downward trend in prices. All it takes is 7 quarters of 3% drops, plus inflation factored in, and you have your 30% correction. It's not that unrealistic.

Interesting... Of course the US government is going to try and fight back on the S&P decision. But all 3 rating agencies have the US on negative watch, so if not a confirmed downgrade this time, then before the year is out in any case.

Several years. We started in July 2010 will the flattening out of prices. Not slowly we are seeing a initial slow downward trend in prices. All it takes is 7 quarters of 3% drops, plus inflation factored in, and you have your 30% correction. It's not that unrealistic.

A house near mine just sold for $1.5m with 4 Chinese bidders. Don't see a correction yet...

Maybe they can get those wizards of financial smoke and mirrors to package all the US debt into CDO's and flog them to our councils (and others world wide) as investments just like they did the ninja loans in years past :rolleyes:

As I type this quite appropriately my daughter is playing a CD by the Black Eyed Peas and like them.............I gotta feeling.......BUT........ it's not gonna be a good time for the masses. :(

Those who are lucky (prepared) will fulfill the songs lyrics as the opportunites unfold. I am not worried, merely concerned and cautious at present...........long term it will be a party. :D

Yes - since the 'Federal' Reserve is owned by Citigroup, JP Morgan et al and not the US Government. Doesn't everyone realise that when the Federal Reserve 'prints money', that money actually becomes a debt of the US Govt even though there's been no consideration?

The Federal Reserve does not print money. The US Treasury is responsible for the printing and minting of US currency.

The Federal Reserve is a member based banking system that requires members (banks) to hold Fed stock. 6% of profits go to the member banks with the remainder going to the US Treasury - $79 Billion last year.

If you look at US national debt and deficit then they are deeply into PIIGS territory. The Eurozone has a problem on the periphery, though Italy would be too big to bail out, whereas the US is in much worse shape.

Niall Ferguson reckons that the US is facing a debt crisis, and I don't think that he's the only one. In the linked video, from about a year ago, he reckoned that in five years (i.e. 2015) they'd be paying more in interest than they'd be spending on providing services.

The US could afford its current level of spending, but they need to raise taxes to European levels. Given the right-wing nutters who have a disproportionate influence there, that isn't going to happen.

As for bargains in the property market, it's hard to say. Prices still seem high to me (though I'm a nasty doom and gloomer :D), and if we see GFC 2.0 in the coming months then there's a risk that they will fall sharply.

I reckon that buying into the UK FTSE might not be a bad move in the next week or two. Shares have dropped sharply this week, though are still above their 12 month love. But you'd also be taking advantage of the cheap pound, and in a few years you might have a nice profit from both rising.

Take your rose-colored glasses off:). Australian property is not magically different to any other market globally, or any other asset class that goes through booms and busts.

Haha, Yes sure corrections are coming.
I see lower interest rates coming our way fast which means lower holding costs.
Even your landlord will be positive geared soon... :D

Back