value of adding a second toilet

Hi everyone,

I understand it's probably a difficult and broad question, but how much value would it add installing a second toilet to a property? Would the value increase be just the cost involved or would you expect it to raise the over all value by a few thousand?

The property in question is a 3 bedroom 1960's weatherboard house. The additional toilet will go in the new bathroom.

Thanks

I would expect it to add much more than the cost involved, several thousand dollars (but of course that depends on the value of the asset in the first place). If there's many places in the same condition as yours now (only one toilet), then this would be a difference at selling time.

Out of interest, where is the first toilet? I'm guessing it's separate to the bathroom?

Hi lucky one,
It's an older area so all the houses would only have one toilet unless the houses have been renovated or built new.

The first toilet is separate in the laundry.

It's something hard to put a monetary value to.

If you are putting in a new bathroom, and there is room for a toilet, I would do it. That leaves the one in the laundry as the "second" toilet.

Hi lucky one,
It's an older area so all the houses would only have one toilet unless the houses have been renovated or built new.

Hi Hodge

I am thinking to so the same with a property I am looking at. Plan is to put a second bath/shower in current laundry. I know this is a broad question, but how much do you think I need to allow for?

Hi lucky one,

That definitely sounds worthwhile, something to differentiate your property from the pack when it comes time to sell or rent out your property.

Sounds like a great idea - then essentially you'll have 2 bathrooms. As far as cost goes for the 2nd bathroom, it depends on what you need to do to it. Maybe it would be worthwhile posting a few pics up so we can see it (Even then it would be hard without getting some quotes done).

Hi Hodge

I am thinking to so the same with a property I am looking at. Plan is to put a second bath/shower in current laundry. I know this is a broad question, but how much do you think I need to allow for?

Bit hard to quote without plans and photos but i'd say budget for $15k if your getting trades in.

I'm looking at around 5-6k to add shower/toilet to a laundry including tiling. Makes a huge difference in value IMO to have a second toilet. In my case the only bathroom has a shower over spa, so by adding a standalone shower will win over the family vote.

Back