Victoria and smoke detectors?

One of my propertys doesn't have a functioning smoke detector, i understand regardless of law its good practice to replace them and accept this.

I searched here, consumer afairs vic, and google but can't find a standard document. Basically i want to know what type of smoke detector i should installed (i know that are diferent sensor types and also 10 year batterys, standard 9v or mains power) and also how many e.g. what is the maximum distance from a bedroom door.

The house is very old and we did some minor reno (redid bathroom) but not so much we needed building or planning permits. Oh and my rental jockey (i can't bring myself to call him a property manager because he hasn't shown the ability to manage much yet) hasn't been able to answer this one.

I figure there is no point installing something only to discover it doesn't comply with legislation.

Thanks, looks like vic is a bit easier than some of the other states for smoke alarms grab a standard one from bunnings and chuck it in the hall.

Back