Victoria now in recession

Agree Aaron, but isn't it insulting people's intelligence by suddenly appearing and making promises. I know they all do it.

I think it would be more respectful, more credible, if she made prior visits to the area.

Agree Aaron, but isn't it insulting people's intelligence by suddenly appearing and making promises. I know they all do it.

I think it would be more respectful, more credible, if she made prior visits to the area.

Yes well they campaign all the time to different areas. It's just that they visit marginals more than safe seats.

I guess her previous visits haven't had the accompanying media circus that's why you didn't notice them.
Anyway Abbott has been campaigning since the 2010 election so has visited the area 50 times while Gillard has been there over 30 times.

And it seems to have claimed Ted Baillieu as Premier, who is now apparently resigning.

Budgetary wise, they have done a pretty good job despite the Vic economy. Sure there will be those who dispute the cuts and hardline approach to teachers and nurses, but that seems to be the price for a surplus.

The price may also be a minority government given the resignation of Geoff Shaw. Sounds very familiar to the Feds story.

Talk to some economic slow down denialists (some on Somersoft too) and they would have you believe the Australian economy is ticking along nicely, how does that view account for half the countries states in recession?

More like depression.

Which means that half of the state are not in recession, reinforcing the fact Australia has a 2 speed economy, doubt if that is a revelation to anyone.

Last financial year you had Australia in a recession but GDP was 3.7%.

You have Australia in a depression for the last calander year with a GDP of 3.1%

I can't recall seeing posts on Somersoft denying there is an Australian economic slowdown, perhaps you can point these posts out or is that another fluffy one liner.

Cheers

Pete

Australia in a depression for the last calander year
What makes you say Australia is in a depression? That's a pretty extreme view you have :eek:

Slow down, yes. On the way to national recession, quite possibly (as mining projects peak and decline, timing of which I could do with improvement on guesstimating ;)), but I wouldn't say an Australian depression is likely without both a further crash in commodities and another major global catastrophe.

Dunno about the rest of Victoria, but Melbourne's property prices are starting to heat up regardless. Over 3% for the last quarter and rising fast!
I would not be relying on growth over such a small period to indicate a trend, if you see RP Data's price charts they show volatile moves higher over a short period don't necessarily lead to a trend higher:

http://www.rpdata.com/images/stories/content/pressreleases/2013_03_01_rpdata_rismark_indices.pdf

Also worth noting that the RP Data series, like REIV might not be capturing sale prices with long settlement:

MELBOURNE'S 2012 housing market losses may have been greater than first thought.

New Valuer-General data shows median city house prices fell 2.7 per cent from $481,000 at the end of the June quarter to $468,000 at the end of the September quarter last year.

Previous Real Estate Institute of Victoria data showed a more modest 1.9 per cent fall in the same period, from $525,000 to $515,000.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/realest...-property-prices/story-fnczi4hc-1226591856204

Travelling to the U.K., France(Paris Marathon) and Spain for 6 weeks soon, will get to see what a real recession looks like:)

Nice, are you competing in the Paris marathon yourself? Colleague here at work did a few years ago, loved it. He's been trying to do the NY Marathon for some time but cant get in.

Nice, are you competing in the Paris marathon yourself? Colleague here at work did a few years ago, loved it. He's been trying to do the NY Marathon for some time but cant get in.

Yes, running the marathon, my first and a 62nd birthday present to myself.

Awesome looking course, starting on the Champ Elysees.

Back