View on Campsie & Ashbury, everyone?

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in views on Campsie & Ashbury (Canterbury NSW). They're bordering Inner West, so am thinking that they could be the one going on gentrifiication next?

I'm especially interested in your views/experiences of the areas, in term of:
- Demographic & safety
- Transport
- Best streets
- Streets to avoid
- etc.

Thanks, kristaje.

I own a 2brm unit in Campsie....I have had the same tenant for 7 years.

The capital gains are not bad there either for Sydney. I bought it for 163k and it is now about 280k.

That's not bad at all, Sash!

How have you find the suburb development in the last 7 years? Any changes in demographic, new people moving in, etc.?

Thanks, kristaje

Last edited:
Thanks, it is okay but not great...but the rent has moved from 180pw to 270 today so it is positive geared today. I have already paid it off.

The area has mostly Asians, Indians...though you are seeing people from the inner west moving in due to affordability.

Also, look at Belmore....it is about 50k cheaper than Campsie but similar rents.

That's not bad at all, Sash!

How have you find the suburb development in the last 7 years? Any changes in demographic, new people moving in, etc.?

Thanks, kristaje

hi kristaje
I don't wish to sound snobby but ashbury and campsie are alot different if youare looking at living there instead of investing.
and there is a big difference
ashbury has seen a steady growth while I have been here and has not gone backwards at all as far as I have seen
its not cheap to buy into the suburb and has only got 11 streets so its a very close area there are not alot of units in the suburb I can't think of one block so there is that few.
the units near the park on the way to campsie come under canterbury and there is some very good buying in there.
the houses in ashbury are 40 to 50 yars old on average and they are on large blocks of land
there are a few newer houses but the older houses have alot more in my opinion going for them.
most street are tree lined and the relatively well kept
and area drags in heaps of rainbow lorrekets.
campsie is alot more spread out
alot more units and with taht bring a diferent demographics as it brings in alot of different groups chinese, african,korean,etc groups
it does make an area buzz but it also brings a very different atmosphere.
and if investing thats the type of place to invest
for me an investment is in some thing that I would not nessaryily want to live in myself.
its more return and growth
now campsie I think will give return not sure about the growth side.
canterbury, belmore,enfield I think and this is think not advice would have better growths but ashbury has seen 10% on a regular growth pattern.

as for change in 7 years
in my street
three houses would have sold in the last 7
I think and all three have had rises in the sale from one to the next and those where to the two kids double working familys and they are live in not investment and rent.
as they ought and they moved in.
I can't think of one house in the street that is rented unless they have been renting for over 7 years.
how do I know that because we don't get removal trucks in this area that much and alot of the streets are 10ton or below
hope this helps

Ashbury is surprisingly expensive for a suburb that has very little transport connections (no trains). we looked in Ashbury for our PPOR but the lack of transport deterred us.

If you're looking at Ashbury I'd suggest checking out CAnterbury + Hurlstone Park/Dulwich hill - 2 neighbouring suburbs that do have train access.
Campsie is a bit better although you should screen your tenants fairly carefully.

Re: streets to avoid, look up Canterbury on this link:
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/pages/bocsar_lga_crimemaps

I've just looked at the link and there seems to be quite a hotspot around Campsie station (as one would expect, eg. muggings etc). There are other hotspots around so try to match it up to a map.

Yes, Hurlstone Park is great. Not sure how it compares pricewise to Ashbury. It has shops and a train station. Of course, it has Canterbury and New Canterbury Roads as its border, and you would avoid them.
Scott

Back