Vinyl timber planks in IP??

I did a search on this but everything is atleast 3 years old so will start a new one.

Has anyone got experience with vinyl planks in there IP?

I was originslly considering floating floor with wood, bamboo or laminate but I'm concerned these will get trashed quite quickly with the moving in and out of tenants plus water spills and excess mopping.

Then yesterday I came across vinyl planks and thought that might be a better alternative.

Anyone got experience with this type of flooring in IP?

I've put them in 2 IP's. So far so good, but only 2 years down in one and 6 months in the other. I put them in a kitchen and laundry.

They are quick to lay which is what I was going for.

I just bought the Bunnings ones. They are what they are- similar to the stick down square tiles. If you want cheap, easy flooring they are good. They stick well but I don't know if I'd do a whole room or over floorboards.

I have them in a couple of IPs as well and in my PPOR,

I cant fault them.

Been here for five years through winters and summers,three children,two dogs,love it still.

Hi there, I am also looking to replace carpet with vinyl in a unit. Would love to go with tiles but concerned with potential noise problems as there is a unit underneath.

When you say vinyl do you mean the rolls of vinyl or is there a click in variety like you can do with timber/laminate?

Does it stick directly to a concrete slab or can you get an underlay to reduce noise further?
Thanks

Hi there, I am also looking to replace carpet with vinyl in a unit. Would love to go with tiles but concerned with potential noise problems as there is a unit underneath.

When you say vinyl do you mean the rolls of vinyl or is there a click in variety like you can do with timber/laminate?

Does it stick directly to a concrete slab or can you get an underlay to reduce noise further?
Thanks
The vinyl I use are actually 1 metre x 3mm thick planks (approx),they need to be glued directly to concrete.
You cannot use an underlay with the planks, maybe your best bet is to use a Masonite underlay and roll of normal vinyl.This would deaden the noise for downstairs,just like carpet.

Vinyl is tough, long-wearing and can be much softer on feet (and better for breakages) than tiles. However, just watch out for areas where heavy appliances sit eg: fridge, washing machine, dishwasher etc as moving these can tear the vinyl or laminate.

We just laid the vinyl planks in our IP last week. No wear and tear to comment on as the reno is still a work in progress.

The advise I was given from supplier is that they are going to stand the toughness test much better than the floating click timber flooring. It is water resistant, can be laid in laundry and is very easy to lay.

You dont need underlay as it is rubber backed. You dont glue it down. You dont need to lift your skirting boards as you cut and lay directly butting up against them. They can be cut with a stanley knife rather than a saw.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good option for us. The strata manager said we have to put in a proposal and the owners corp will either approve or not :rolleyes:

They seem to be pretty useless really, all he could tell me was that because of the age of the building the following very general by law applies: "You must cover the floor of your lot or treat it to stop noise which may disturb another resident." (Wet areas are exempt).

And there have not been any requests to change flooring in any lots in the last 5 years. They have no records older than 5 years so he couldn't tell me if any other lot has hard floors.

The wet areas are all tiled but I'm not spending a few thousand to be forced to pull up tiles or unglue lino :eek: He said even if the owners corp approve it, a tenant can still complain and we could have to go to fair trading, not to mention pay for engineers etc to do noise tests.

The REA is going to ask the other 2 units they manage in the block if they have hard floors so we will see if there is a precedent. But if they have carpet then I think we will probably recarpet also.

Not something we thought about when purchasing a 2nd floor unit but certainly will next time :D

Back