Volcano

Hi

We have just returned from 9 days holiday on Vanuatu. Whilst the rain was a welcome relief from the dry here, it did get to be a nuisance.

However, it did not stop us from climbing to the top of a live volcano (Mt Yasur) not stop us from taking the attached photo. Wow!!!! What an awesome experience!!

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_2612_small.JPG
    IMG_2612_small.JPG
    1.9 KB · Views: 215
What an incredible experience! Something most people will never see or be close to. Fan-mazing.

Hm, bbq marinade recipe wouldn't go astray about now....

It's a pity the rain was enough to put a bit of a dampener on enjoying things more then expected or hoped.

That's one of the more unusually photo's to see in SS forums, very exploratory of you. (there is a way to make photo embed into forum larger!)

That must have been scary surely and I'd say a thrill, did you feel the ground shake like thunder, or did you run down to the shop and buy a postcard.

Hi

The rain did not spoil our day at all. In fact, you could even say that it made the volcano even more awe inspiring.

Yes, we did feel the ground shake and the noise that the volcano made was unbelievably loud. It was like a series of large explosions one after another followed by an even bigger explosion every now and then.

You can mail a post card from the volcano (which we did) but there is no shop for many, many miles of the volcano itself.

These days mate, I don't run anywhere at all....my knees are shot from playing footy as a kid!!

Dale

It's a pity the rain was enough to put a bit of a dampener on enjoying things more then expected or hoped.

That's one of the more unusually photo's to see in SS forums, very exploratory of you. (there is a way to make photo embed into forum larger!)

That must have been scary surely and I'd say a thrill, did you feel the ground shake like thunder, or did you run down to the shop and buy a postcard.

Dale, so next time a spruiker tries to sell you a seminar that involves firewalking, you can tell them you've done the biggest firewalk of the lot ;)

Peter

Yasur is incredible- but it is just one of the fascinating aspects of Tanna.

It's many years since I went. But, for me:

.Not just the volcano, but the moonscape around
.The local cargo cult ("John Frum" people)
.Landing on the grass airstrip, allowed to sit in the front of the four seater with the pilot
.The experience of the culture. My guide's car had a puncture (I was the only passenger), so we had to walk several kms to the nearest village. It was evening, so we were invited to their evening meal- cooked in an underground fire. From the reactions of the kids, it appeared that they were not used to white people- but also evident that kids enjoy the same sorts of games in any culture, games which go beyond language. The evening included kava drinking. I was one of the "privileged" people. The kava root was chewed by the young people, and made into a drink for the older people and guests. As a guest, I was in line straight after the village chief. The taste was of dirty dishwater. The effect was not felt. The experience ("listening to the kava", and sharing in a traditional village's lifestyle) was unforgettable.
.Meeting people. I chose to stay away from tourist accommodation, even though that, at the time, was primitive by our standards- to the point of paying extra to stay with locals rather than staying in my prepaid accommodation. An especially memorable conversation, in my attempt at "Bislama", or what people call "pidgin English":

Me: "You go work?"
Him: "I go work".
M: "Him bad tumas" (too much)
H: "No bad tumas. Sipos I want go work, I go work. Sipos I no want go work, I no go work"

He had everything he needed. There was no pressure for him to do anything, to do anything over and above the abundance which was all around him.

Back